Netflix

Biscuits

44 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I've only watched one episode of the new series so far, but Charlie Methven is approximately 25% David Brent, 25% Stewart Pearson, 25% Train Guy, and 25% Barry Homeowner. 

He's a bit of a dick and a bit of a twat but somehow very likeable.

He's an arrogant, self-important, piece of shit. If there was any doubt, his behaviour at half-time of the game in the third episode confirms it, especially how he conducts himself with the Northern Irish woman.  

Glad I’m not the only one that thinks he’s a bit of a p***k.

I really do enjoy the transfer parts of these types of programmes. Jack Ross telling Stewart Donald that Will Grigg is not worth the £2 million or whatever the bid was and SD basically agreeing with him then panic buys him at £3 million[emoji23]

10 minutes ago, Arbroathlegend36-0 said:

Glad I’m not the only one that thinks he’s a bit of a p***k.

I really do enjoy the transfer parts of these types of programmes. Jack Ross telling Stewart Donald that Will Grigg is not worth the £2 million or whatever the bid was and SD basically agreeing with him then panic buys him at £3 millionemoji23.png

It was £1.25m. No wonder all those clubs are fucked with debt.

Methven speaks so patronisingly about the north and northerners, like he's literally never set foot anywhere in England outside of rural Oxfordshire. 

This is basically him talking about Sunderland and Sunderland fans: 

Edited by DrewDon

3 hours ago, DrewDon said:

He's an arrogant, self-important, piece of shit. If there was any doubt, his behaviour at half-time of the game in the third episode confirms it, especially how he conducts himself with the Northern Irish woman.  

What, asking her to do her job? Yeah, what a dick.

I know its all edited and she probably gets a raw deal from the doc makers, but she pretty clearly just didnt get it. They'd spent months trying to market the game and beat the attendance record. At half time she looked like she didnt give a shit. They obviously wanted the crowd figure to announce to the fans and her comment was "if we dont get it, we dont get it"

What, asking her to do her job? Yeah, what a dick.
I know its all edited and she probably gets a raw deal from the doc makers, but she pretty clearly just didnt get it. They'd spent months trying to market the game and beat the attendance record. At half time she looked like she didnt give a shit. They obviously wanted the crowd figure to announce to the fans and her comment was "if we dont get it, we dont get it"

That was perhaps the only moment that I actually agreed with him. The rest of the time he comes across exactly as described above.

I imagine her indifference by then had something to do with his demeanour and attitude up to that point (him walking into hospitality on matchday and demanding that she bring him a beer, for example), and I'd envisage he was even worse away from the watching eye of the cameras. 

Were there big problems at Sunderland that needed sorting out? Absolutely. Was his approach the right one, treating employees with barely-concealed disdain from the start and pissing off the very people you rely on for your role to be a success? Evidently not.