Netflix

Biscuits

On 07/03/2020 at 11:02, ftk said:

Better Caul Saul. Big Breaking Bad fan but just discovered this. On season 3 loving it.

Loved it to start with, and still look forward to every season as it comes out, but more and more I find the scenes with Mike and Gus far more interesting.

Just finished The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez. As has been said already there is absolutely no joy watching this. A couple of episodes took me more than one attempt to get through. It wasn't so much the graphic pictures or testimony, it was that I struggled with the fact these two 'humans' had done this to a helpless child.

SPOILERS BELOW.

What the actual f**k is wrong with people? When they announced the autopsy results and mentioned they had found grit like substance in his stomach I instantly knew they had made him eat the cat litter. That's not impressive to know that, it just highlighted how fucking cruel those two were that I just knew that's what was coming. I don't know why but I found it particularly hard that they only picked on him. I know it meant two kids were spared from the torture but then they will be just as traumatised because they witnessed it and will probably feel guilty they couldn't help. It also adds to Gabriel's torment as he was probably thinking "why me?". I only burst into tears once and it was when the Policeman told the brother he had done nothing wrong. I really hope the wee guy hears that and believes it.

That fat c**t never showed an ounce of remorse throughout and when that bitch read that pathetic note before her sentencing I was absolutely furious. No sincerity whatsoever and it just made me more angry. I honestly hope the pair of them are having a truly horrible time in prison and the judge nailed it in his closing statement when he said something similar and that he hoped they receive similar torture to that they inflicted on him.

I don't think the social workers should have been jailed but I sincerely hope they have all been sacked. The trouble is further up the chain but ffs how many warning signs did they need?! And that it's happened again almost identically really is a sad story. Clearly nothing has changed. Child welfare shouldn't be an area where profit is of any importance.

18 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Just finished The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez. As has been said already there is absolutely no joy watching this. A couple of episodes took me more than one attempt to get through. It wasn't so much the graphic pictures or testimony, it was that I struggled with the fact these two 'humans' had done this to a helpless child.

SPOILERS BELOW.

What the actual f**k is wrong with people? When they announced the autopsy results and mentioned they had found grit like substance in his stomach I instantly knew they had made him eat the cat litter. That's not impressive to know that, it just highlighted how fucking cruel those two were that I just knew that's what was coming. I don't know why but I found it particularly hard that they only picked on him. I know it meant two kids were spared from the torture but then they will be just as traumatised because they witnessed it and will probably feel guilty they couldn't help. It also adds to Gabriel's torment as he was probably thinking "why me?". I only burst into tears once and it was when the Policeman told the brother he had done nothing wrong. I really hope the wee guy hears that and believes it.

That fat c**t never showed an ounce of remorse throughout and when that bitch read that pathetic note before her sentencing I was absolutely furious. No sincerity whatsoever and it just made me more angry. I honestly hope the pair of them are having a truly horrible time in prison and the judge nailed it in his closing statement when he said something similar and that he hoped they receive similar torture to that they inflicted on him.

I don't think the social workers should have been jailed but I sincerely hope they have all been sacked. The trouble is further up the chain but ffs how many warning signs did they need?! And that it's happened again almost identically really is a sad story. Clearly nothing has changed. Child welfare shouldn't be an area where profit is of any importance.

They had umpteen warning signs, black eyes, hair in tufts, broken bones, the list goes on, and yet they left that boy in a house of horror. There should have been more prosecutions including the police officer who took Gabriel into his patrol car and told him to stop lying or he would go to jail as well as more senior officials in the social work. And a few years later it all happened again to another boy...

They had umpteen warning signs, black eyes, hair in tufts, broken bones, the list goes on, and yet they left that boy in a house of horror. There should have been more prosecutions including the police officer who took Gabriel into his patrol car and told him to stop lying or he would go to jail as well as more senior officials in the social work. And a few years later it all happened again to another boy...

They should absolutely have been sacked as they failed but them being jailed just wouldn't sit right with me. The whole system is clearly needing changed and those 4 would be the tiny tip of the iceberg: effectively scapegoats. What should have come from this is the American Government taking control of the service rather than subcontracting it to a company who are more concerned with profit.

It really isn't an exaggeration to say Gabriel was let down from the Government down.

They should absolutely have been sacked as they failed but them being jailed just wouldn't sit right with me. The whole system is clearly needing changed and those 4 would be the tiny tip of the iceberg: effectively scapegoats. What should have come from this is the American Government taking control of the service rather than subcontracting it to a company who are more concerned with profit.  
It really isn't an exaggeration to say Gabriel was let down from the Government down.

I've only watched first 3 but will keep going but it's not easy viewing.

Season 2 of Kingdom has just dropped and it is excellent!!!
Think of it as a cross between The Water Margin and The Walking Dead!!!

On 08/03/2020 at 19:01, FairWeatherFan said:

Football, period dramas and netlflix. Three things thrown together I was not expecting...out March 20th.

Interestingly, The Guardian review has given this a rating of 1/5 and The Telegraph has given it 4/5. The Metro has awarded it 3/5, and, after a mere five votes, IMDb has given it a rating of 9.2.

I cannot help thinking that The Guardian's rating might be politically motivated. 

2118827877_TheEnglishGame.thumb.jpg.bdba107a6678ad304545f8bb84de3f16.jpg

55 minutes ago, The Reverend said:

Interestingly, The Guardian review has given this a rating of 1/5 and The Telegraph has given it 4/5. The Metro has awarded it 3/5, and, after a mere five votes, IMDb has given it a rating of 9.2.

I cannot help thinking that The Guardian's rating might be politically motivated. 

Quite an entertaining review. From reading it, it looks like the type of thing where I'd agree it is idealised, social class reinforcing cheesy pish but I'm now tempted to watch just to confirm my prejudices. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I know nothing about this programme but I fully expect the guardian have played the man not the ball, as they do in most of their reviews.

I might well be wrong, but I imagine the author might not like the fact that the title seems to attribute the invention of football to the English. Further period dramas are criticised for being 'too white'. These factors in addition to the perception of the writer or producer as a Brexiteer and a Tory, going by the comments following the Gurdian article, will mean it was always going to score very badly.

Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness is a documentary out now which might be quite interesting. Remember seeing a previous docu a few years ago about the guy it's focused on, and he was definitely a bit of an oddball. This was back when he was just a weirdo private zoo owner and trying to breed a sabretooth. Obviously by the title of this docu things have taken a turn for the worst.

The Platform - Spanish dystopian horror with lots of gore and some pretty disgusting scenes in some sort of sociological experiment with two 'volunteers' to each cell of a vertical Pit who eat what they can, in a limited time, from the Platform which is laden with a banquet of dishes as it descends floor by floor. It's all a bit ambiguous with a lot of tension towards the end and I'm sure it's meant to be some sort of allegorical tale about inequality in society.

21 hours ago, The OP said:

Quite an entertaining review. From reading it, it looks like the type of thing where I'd agree it is idealised, social class reinforcing cheesy pish but I'm now tempted to watch just to confirm my prejudices. 

Started to watch it, gave up after half an hour. "idealised, social class reinforcing cheesy pish" is bang on the money.