On 26/11/2019 at 15:03, welshbairn said:

The Irishman out tomorrow.

220px-The_Irishman_poster.jpg

Spoiler

3 1/2 hrs. Really disliked the first hour. Second hour a bit boring. Third hour started to get engaging. Last half hour totally absorbing and ended up quite profound. 

2 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:
  Hide contents

3 1/2 hrs. Really disliked the first hour. Second hour a bit boring. Third hour started to get engaging. Last half hour totally absorbing and ended up quite profound. 

About half way through. Looking to find out what percentage of thief Hoffa was compared to working class hero fighting the only way possible.

Worth watching to the end of the titles. I'll wait a few days to comment.

I hope it’s Naked Gun style comedy titles.

1 hour ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Is The Irishman actually on Netflix now? Not a big fan of going to the cinema so waited for the TV release. 

Yup.

Watched it in 2 sittings, got to say I think I’d have struggled in 1 sitting, don’t get me wrong, it’s pretty absorbing, just not 3 1/2 hrs absorbing. Overall I enjoyed it & Pesci was the standout for me, very understated in comparison to his usual performances, but terrific.
I’d rate it 8/10. Possibly the last we will see of the great Scorsese doing a full on mob movie, certainly with a cast as distinguished as this.

Welshbairn is correct. There’s a reason Netflix doesn’t give you the option to watch something else when the credits come up.

I thought it was genuinely wonderful. Film of the year for me. Joe Pesci’s withdrawn to role balances Al Pacino’s standard overacting.

I enjoyed it but the de-aging effects made De Niro in particular look weird which irritated me throughout. 

Thoroughly enjoyed it. There is definitely a lull in the middle which feels like they've tried to drag it out. Someone said they wanted to see Frank and Peggy's relationship delved further into, I disagree. I thought that it was written perfectly after the shop keeper part. 

Frank obviously seen himself as a loving family man doing things to protect and provide for his family and the fear in the shopkeep even as Frank was just starting out is clear that he was an arsehole and a brute. 

After the credits is a delight. 

Watched half of it and it's pretty boring. T2 syndrome where folk are so desperate to like it that they've convinced themselves it's a classic.

The main characters are absolutely ridiculous. Bunch of old men, not far from deaths door but we are supposed to believe they are what age??

Too many stars forced into one film to trying engineer a classic. Shite.

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

T2 syndrome 

I was trying to work out how the f**k someone thought Terminator 2 was overrated (or at least specifically picked it out as a film people were desperate to love) then I googled “T2 film” just to see if I was missing something and the paper penny finally dropped.

Trainspotting 2.

Edited by The OP

Watched half of it and it's pretty boring. T2 syndrome where folk are so desperate to like it that they've convinced themselves it's a classic.

The main characters are absolutely ridiculous. Bunch of old men, not far from deaths door but we are supposed to believe they are what age??

It might be an idea to let us know what your referring to bud.

22 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
5 hours ago, Nigel said:

It might be an idea to let us know what your referring to bud.

Not really Nigel’s fault if you are incapable of basic comprehension bud. 

Edited by ali_91

I watched to the end of the credits. Am I missing something? 🤷‍♂️

There’s a 20 minute “hidden” extra.

I watched to the end of the credits. Am I missing something? 🤷‍♂️

It’s not a hidden extension. You can find it on search function by looking for ‘The Irishman In Conversation’.

Once the film finishes it will automatically move onto this little piece.

On 30/11/2019 at 07:49, 18May1991 said:

I enjoyed it but the de-aging effects made De Niro in particular look weird which irritated me throughout. 

Agreed. They all looked like slightly weird old men throughout, apart from Hoffa's rival.