Netflix

Biscuits

1 hour ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

Finished Top Boy. I'll still maintain that it's not as good as the originals, but the last episode was a banger.

Quite a few The Wire parallels, especially the Dushane/Sully scene on the balcony where they appear to be going in different directions, a straight lift from the Avon/Stringer balcony scene. I can see the Jaq/Snoop similarities, but Jaq has a lot more depth, Snoop is just a stone cold killer.

Hopefully another series in the offing.

I'd rate it TBS1, Summerhouse then TBS2 but it definitely grew on me and I'd say is worth a watch. I grew up on grime culture and UK rap music so even if it was utter shite I'd probably still find elements of it interesting enough to watch. 

I made the biggest mistake of telling one of my hyper critical mates it was "like the Wire" and I've never heard the end of it. I'd agree regarding Jaq, I think the comparison with Snoop is a little bit lazy, I feel like Jaq really stole the show throughout, I thought the little arc they did about her getting attacked was super forced but other than that really enjoyed her parts. Her and Curtis "it's just your hormones" really stood out as main players in the series. I also enjoyed the wrap up of the Spanish stuff a lot. 

Unsure how to do spoiler tags so without being too specific I think season 3 has already at least been partly written going by the surprise ending of this one. Wouldn't be surprised at all if season 3 ends with Jaq being "Top Boy"  though. 

After finishing season 1 of summerhouse you can really see how the latest seasons have been americanised. In them killings are sparse and have dilemma and consequences behind them. In the latest seasons they are just blasting fools willy nilly.

I'm surprised the slang they use has survived across all the seasons and considering the time jump. Thought it might have faded out and replaced by something else.

It was good seeing how Sully evolved into the person he is in the latest seasons. Although for someone who is obviously conflicted about what he's done he doesn't seem to have any problem keep doing it.

1 hour ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I'd rate it TBS1, Summerhouse then TBS2 but it definitely grew on me and I'd say is worth a watch. I grew up on grime culture and UK rap music so even if it was utter shite I'd probably still find elements of it interesting enough to watch. 

I made the biggest mistake of telling one of my hyper critical mates it was "like the Wire" and I've never heard the end of it. I'd agree regarding Jaq, I think the comparison with Snoop is a little bit lazy, I feel like Jaq really stole the show throughout, I thought the little arc they did about her getting attacked was super forced but other than that really enjoyed her parts. Her and Curtis "it's just your hormones" really stood out as main players in the series. I also enjoyed the wrap up of the Spanish stuff a lot. 

Unsure how to do spoiler tags so without being too specific I think season 3 has already at least been partly written going by the surprise ending of this one. Wouldn't be surprised at all if season 3 ends with Jaq being "Top Boy"  though. 

Just press the eye button for a spoiler box.

Season 3 thoughts...

Spoiler

Sully and Dushane to split further apart and one won't survive the season. Young Stef to go off the rails and try to get revenge for Jamie's death. Jaq gets promoted to top luitenant, but Val comes after her to avenge Curtis.

16 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

Just press the eye button for a spoiler box.

Season 3 thoughts...

Reveal hidden contents

Sully and Dushane to split further apart and one won't survive the season. Young Stef to go off the rails and try to get revenge for Jamie's death. Jaq gets promoted to top luitenant, but Val comes after her to avenge Curtis.

That's good you know. Would agree with all of that. The second one seems too obvious and the one I didn't want to say as it's a big spoiler. 

22 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

After finishing season 1 of summerhouse you can really see how the latest seasons have been americanised. In them killings are sparse and have dilemma and consequences behind them. In the latest seasons they are just blasting fools willy nilly.

I'm surprised the slang they use has survived across all the seasons and considering the time jump. Thought it might have faded out and replaced by something else.

It was good seeing how Sully evolved into the person he is in the latest seasons. Although for someone who is obviously conflicted about what he's done he doesn't seem to have any problem keep doing it.

This part is a great point. The consequences were massive whereas now it's just a free for all.

Don't read this til you have watched it all.

Spoiler

In a way I think that was a good part about Season 1 of the new stuff. It upped it a level but it made some sort of sense with it being the young guy on the block making a name for himself even though it was unrealistically OTT. The acid attacks was easy pickings but made some sort of sense with the evolution of barbarity. It's crazy to think Jamie never even had any reason to be concerned by the police after the Turks incident... I also think Season 2 over does it and is a bit unrealistic when it comes to the undercover cops that are somehow also running the whole case conducting interviews whilst giving away all their Intel for no apparant reason... 

Also Sully is class. Always loved Kano as a rapper so it's class go see his transition, same with Santan Dave in the first season. 

Edited by Albus Bulbasaur

On 27/03/2022 at 02:26, UpInTheAyr said:

Just finished top boy for the first time without realising that it is a continuation of top boy summerhouse. After watching the first episode of that you can really see the money Netflix have poured into it for the latest series.

Quite enjoyable series, although the spate of killings is a little too unrealistic looking, even for London. Dushane I could do without, thought he was boring. Sully had some depth to him. That Curtis bloke was chilling, proper psycho material.

There was a real underlying menance to Curtis, he played that role perfect.

Edited by BigDoddyKane

On 28/03/2022 at 22:50, Shandon Par said:

The Cinematograpgy in the latest Top Boy is pretty special but the killings take me out of it a bit. Another Netflix show, Snabba Cash, did the same. It’s maybe to make it work in America but just feels lazy. 

The killings at times take the realism away which is a bit offputting at times

Edited by BigDoddyKane

Just when i was coming back around to Sully, he went and did that 🙄

Jaq is the best character on Top Boy but Curtis stole nearly every scene he was in. Brilliant acting, the psychopath underneath was never far away