Netflix

Biscuits

10 hours ago, BigDoddyKane said:

Wasnt sure would the new Top Boy series be any good but watched 1st episode and its started well, looks good so far

I'm on the last episode now. 

No matter what happens next I'm disappointed. Thought the first Netflix season was really good but feel like the second season has been pretty poor. I feel like they've done a typical Netflix and just dialled up what they thought worked well but have pretty much made the series a satire at this point. There's been one or two plot developments I've enjoyed but I feel like 70% of it is just writing for the sake of it. Let me know what you think the more you watch. I'd rate the first season 9/10 but this like a low 7/10

48 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

I'll get that new Top Boy series watched soon, the 1st was OK, not as good as the originals though.

Got to finish the Last Kingdom first.

I didn't rate the earlier seasons too highly. I always felt like it was misplaced nostalgia that lead to the Netflix version coming out. Season 2 is a bit weird but still enjoyable for many aspects, I do think UK rap is in a shit state right now and it's noticeable how S2 barely utilises music whereas S1 had quite a lot of cool transitions which incorporated the music at the time. (Also all the characters in new season speak so weirdly unrealistic, the writing has went full on London roadman trope rather than anything near believable)

Also I've not watched any Last Kingdom buy thoroughly enjoyed the Vikings. Have you seen both?  

Edited by Albus Bulbasaur

45 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I didn't rate the earlier seasons too highly. I always felt like it was misplaced nostalgia that lead to the Netflix version coming out. Season 2 is a bit weird but still enjoyable for many aspects, I do think UK rap is in a shit state right now and it's noticeable how S2 barely utilises music whereas S1 had quite a lot of cool transitions which incorporated the music at the time. (Also all the characters in new season speak so weirdly unrealistic, the writing has went full on London roadman trope rather than anything near believable)

Also I've not watched any Last Kingdom buy thoroughly enjoyed the Vikings. Have you seen both?  

I've seen the first 3 seasons of Vikings. It's different from The Last Kingdom. TLK is more political and imo a more realistic portrayal of the Vikings/Danes once they had settled in Britain.

I've seen the first 3 seasons of Vikings. It's different from The Last Kingdom. TLK is more political and imo a more realistic portrayal of the Vikings/Danes once they had settled in Britain.
Didnt you think TLK was a wee touch on the soap side of it all? I thought Vikings was a bit more gritty.

That said, lot more sort of mythology/spiritual shit going on in Vikings, but I suppose given the disputed nature of Ragnar Lothbroks existence I suppose thats fair enough.

29 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Didnt you think TLK was a wee touch on the soap side of it all? I thought Vikings was a bit more gritty.

That said, lot more sort of mythology/spiritual shit going on in Vikings, but I suppose given the disputed nature of Ragnar Lothbroks existence I suppose thats fair enough.

Aye, I would agree with that.

I think what TLK does well is showing both sides, obviously marauding vikings are badass, which is what people want to see, but there's also sympathy for the Saxons defending their homes and faith, and of course the main characters' inner turmoil between the two.

On 21/03/2022 at 00:20, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I'm on the last episode now. 

No matter what happens next I'm disappointed. Thought the first Netflix season was really good but feel like the second season has been pretty poor. I feel like they've done a typical Netflix and just dialled up what they thought worked well but have pretty much made the series a satire at this point. There's been one or two plot developments I've enjoyed but I feel like 70% of it is just writing for the sake of it. Let me know what you think the more you watch. I'd rate the first season 9/10 but this like a low 7/10

4 episodes in, Im enjoying it so far anyway. Its got a bit cliched at times and agree about the accents, especially on 2 of the characters.

On 24/03/2022 at 02:09, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Pebbles for sure is one of them. 

Pebbles accent is brutal, the other accent I found strange but not as bad was the big guy from Morooco speaking like he was from London. Just seemed out of place. A Dutch or Belgian Moroc English accent would worked better.

Theres a few characters I dont like but im enjoying this season, got episode 7 and 8 left to watch.

Edited by BigDoddyKane

11 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

Peebles accent is brutal, the other accent I found strange but not as bad was the big guy from Morooco speaking like he was from London. Just seemed out of place. A Dutch or Belgian Moroc English accent would worked better.

Theres a few characters I dont like but im enjoying this season, got episode 7 and 8 left to watch.

Ahh right I didn't mind the other guy thought it was a humorous twist with Dushane not able to understand anything then this guy breaks out the London accent. Thought it made sense too to have a little bit of North African representation as UK culture like that isn't just Africans and Jamaicans like the first series would have you think. 

I think after a little bit of time the series grew on me. Definitely got better towards the end. Think the first half of the series was just a bit all over the place. Doesn't follow the narrative the series usually does about following someone's come up. 

31 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Ahh right I didn't mind the other guy thought it was a humorous twist with Dushane not able to understand anything then this guy breaks out the London accent. Thought it made sense too to have a little bit of North African representation as UK culture like that isn't just Africans and Jamaicans like the first series would have you think. 

I think after a little bit of time the series grew on me. Definitely got better towards the end. Think the first half of the series was just a bit all over the place. Doesn't follow the narrative the series usually does about following someone's come up. 

yeah maybe that was the idea with the big Moroccan, it wasnt too bad an accent just seemed out of place. 

Ive enjoyed the season, it has its faults but whats good is very good. I think Ashley Walters and Kano have always been good. Walters has been good since way back and movies like Bullet Boy. Im not sure about Jamie his acting is a bit stilted at times but at other times its good. 

Its always been heavily influenced by The Wire, Jaq is Snoop from the wire but that doesnt matter its a copy as Jaq as a character and the actress playing her is really good.

Edited by BigDoddyKane

Just finished top boy for the first time without realising that it is a continuation of top boy summerhouse. After watching the first episode of that you can really see the money Netflix have poured into it for the latest series.

Quite enjoyable series, although the spate of killings is a little too unrealistic looking, even for London. Dushane I could do without, thought he was boring. Sully had some depth to him. That Curtis bloke was chilling, proper psycho material.

On 27/03/2022 at 00:26, UpInTheAyr said:

Just finished top boy for the first time without realising that it is a continuation of top boy summerhouse. After watching the first episode of that you can really see the money Netflix have poured into it for the latest series.

Quite enjoyable series, although the spate of killings is a little too unrealistic looking, even for London. Dushane I could do without, thought he was boring. Sully had some depth to him. That Curtis bloke was chilling, proper psycho material.

Not sure the influence of Netflix's megabucks is altogether positive - the subject matter to me benefitted from a more down-market, homegrown look*. Still a good watch, mind - currently two episodes into the latest.

*Trust me, once you're at even half the numbers Dushane's talking about, you've got absolutely no connection downwards. And very, very few (if any) get from the streets to where he currently is. I'm looking forward to seeing where we go from here, anyway.

Finished Top Boy. I'll still maintain that it's not as good as the originals, but the last episode was a banger.

Quite a few The Wire parallels, especially the Dushane/Sully scene on the balcony where they appear to be going in different directions, a straight lift from the Avon/Stringer balcony scene. I can see the Jaq/Snoop similarities, but Jaq has a lot more depth, Snoop is just a stone cold killer.

Hopefully another series in the offing.