Netflix

Biscuits

Currently watching the second series of the Witcher and it's very good. The plot is obviously great and it's visually much better than the earlier parts of the first series. Freya Allan is absolutely fantastic as Siri and Cavill is having a whale of a time as Geralt. It's a real pleasure following their journey on screen.

Jaskier is probably the worst character in this though. Utterly pointless and creates tonal clashes every time he steps on screen. In the books his character is fun and witty, whose purpose is clear. Here it's like the writers have decided that instead of a subtle, fun character who has chemistry with Geralt, we need a spoilt man-child who needs to be led by the hand through each scene. With Siri being Geralt's companion it isn't clear what Jaskier's purpose is at all. He's narcissistic, needy and passive aggressive, and not at all funny. I know he'll fucking survive everything too, which is awful. 

The plot is unfolding nicely and the effects are much better than in the first series. It's got a coherent storyline and plot, compared to the first series which was largely a collection of short stories. I'm really into it, and I want to see more of the elves and their conflict with the humans. Bringing us to the home of the witchers was a very nice touch too, giving us a greater emotional tie to Geralt. Kim Bodnia as Vesemir is wonderful too, providing a gentle fatherly energy to Siri and Geralt. 

I'm looking forward to seeing it all develop. Without Jaskier, ideally.

Edited by velo army

On 23/11/2021 at 17:29, Arch Stanton said:

LA Confidential is now on Netflix.

If you haven't seen it you're in for a treat.

Russell Crowe, Kevin Spacey, Guy Pierce and James Cromwell give close to career best performances in a cracking story of sleaze and corruption in 50s LA.

Kevin Spacey really steals the show for me. A treat is the right description of it. Period pieces these days so often still look modern whereas this looks like 1950s LA, which gives the film a really timeless feel.

Currently watching the second series of the Witcher and it's very good. The plot is obviously great and it's visually much better than the earlier parts of the first series. Freya Allan is absolutely fantastic as Siri and Cavill is having a whale of a time as Geralt. It's a real pleasure following their journey on screen.
Jaskier is probably the worst character in this though. Utterly pointless and creates tonal clashes every time he steps on screen. In the books his character is fun and witty, whose purpose is clear. Here it's like the writers have decided that instead of a subtle, fun character who has chemistry with Geralt, we need a spoilt man-child who needs to be led by the hand through each scene. With Siri being Geralt's companion it isn't clear what Jaskier's purpose is at all. He's narcissistic, needy and passive aggressive, and not at all funny. I know he'll fucking survive everything too, which is awful. 
The plot is unfolding nicely and the effects are much better than in the first series. It's got a coherent storyline and plot, compared to the first series which was largely a collection of short stories. I'm really into it, and I want to see more of the elves and their conflict with the humans. Bringing us to the home of the witchers was a very nice touch too, giving us a greater emotional tie to Geralt. Kim Bodnia as Vesemir is wonderful too, providing a gentle fatherly energy to Siri and Geralt. 
I'm looking forward to seeing it all develop. Without Jaskier, ideally.

Tbf, although I haven’t read the books, I found Dandelion incredibly annoying, self-important and self-obsessed in the game, so the character was basically what I expected. Hadn’t actually realised that was different from his character in the books

Watched Dont Look Up lastnight. Was pretty good. Excellent cast, thought Meryl Streep was excellent as the president. Guess the film is a bit of a commentary about how bad politics is these days and the undue influence wielded by social media.... It all seemed depressingly credible that in real life, it could easily play out like it did in the film.

• 2 weeks later...
Watched Dont Look Up lastnight. Was pretty good. Excellent cast, thought Meryl Streep was excellent as the president. Guess the film is a bit of a commentary about how bad politics is these days and the undue influence wielded by social media.... It all seemed depressingly credible that in real life, it could easily play out like it did in the film.
Yeah i think the full film runs as a parody on the corona virus pandemic and the incompetent political handling of it enjoyed it

Don't Look Up B2B Death to 2021. 

A great week for smug liberals who have to explain the joke.

David Sirota and Adam McKay losing the plot at any and all criticism on Twitter has been the most entertaining bit of the Don't Look Up release.

On 26/12/2021 at 10:53, Bairnardo said:

16 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:
On 26/12/2021 at 10:53, Bairnardo said:

Yeah i think the full film runs as a parody on the corona virus pandemic and the incompetent political handling of it enjoyed it

I'm fairly sure the creators said it's about climate change.

Edited by NotThePars

Been watching "The Keepers" pretty harrowing tale about a nun's murder and a cover up of sexual abuse at a catholic school in Baltimore. It's pretty clear the abuse is genuine and long term but (surprise) the authorities never acted on complaints.

On 13/12/2021 at 12:55, velo army said:

Lots of thoughts...

I'd like to hear other thoughts and am unafraid of hearing that I might be talking pish.

Aye, I agree. I loved it and it was one of the few shows I actually made a point of watching in the past year or two but the latter series were just a bit too silly for me. The first Heist was almost perfect TV and while the plan for the second and some of the flashbacks were good, the creators deliberately went for more of an "action" show rather than the cerebral programme it was to begin with. Marseille was the best of the new characters I reckon, while Helsinki, Bogota and Nairobi were underused while Denver, Tokyo and Gandia were in it too much. Too many deaths and cartoon baddies, not enough clever shit and too many car chases.

On 06/01/2022 at 09:39, Squalor Vic said:

Probably mentioned before but really enjoyed first part of Money Heist. Dunno how they'll string it out over another 25ish episodes though

Have Spoilered my thoughts about the series as a whole above even though it doesn't give too much away. I'd definitely watch the first two parts (the Heist in the Royal Mint). The latter three are still good but nowhere near the same quality IMO.

Watched Don't Look Up last night and thought it was a decent and straightforward satire on post Trumpian politics, social media and 24/7 news cycles. I suppose you could switch death by comet to global warming or Trump's initial reaction to Covid, including wanting to slow down testing as it was making him look bad with the election coming up.

On 08/01/2022 at 21:53, welshbairn said:

Watched Don't Look Up last night and thought it was a decent and straightforward satire on post Trumpian politics, social media and 24/7 news cycles. I suppose you could switch death by comet to global warming or Trump's initial reaction to Covid, including wanting to slow down testing as it was making him look bad with the election coming up.

The social media/tech mogul guy was quite strikingly accurate. 

Stay Close

Decent 8 part Limited Series. Think it's ranked No. 1 in the UK the now. It's a whodunnit that keeps you on your toes and leads you down a few paths along the way.

It was Episode 5 when I made my prediction. There was a line spoken in a scene and it resulted in me placing this person top of the suspect list for me and they never budged after that as it all fit in perfectly. I was on the money and was quite pleased I got it relatively early on.

It's worth a watch and has good performances from the cast. 'Ken' and 'Barbie' are fantastically bizarre.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Stay Close

Decent 8 part Limited Series. Think it's ranked No. 1 in the UK the now. It's a whodunnit that keeps you on your toes and leads you down a few paths along the way.

It was Episode 5 when I made my prediction. There was a line spoken in a scene and it resulted in me placing this person top of the suspect list for me and they never budged after that as it all fit in perfectly. I was on the money and was quite pleased I got it relatively early on.

It's worth a watch and has good performances from the cast. 'Ken' and 'Barbie' are fantastically bizarre.

Out of interest, which scene was it?(best to spoiler it). Going to have a look, as I never worked out who it was. 

Spoiler

Agreed regarding Ken and Barbie, felt like I had missed something when they first turned up, as they were so out of place 😁 felt sorry for the girl they murdered(Tauny I think her name was), as nobody really seemed to miss her when she was gone.

Stay Close

I watched this. It’s absolute garbage but it had me hooked. Shite acting and full of those dramatic wee sound effects every time something remotely dramatic happened.

Out of interest, which scene was it?(best to spoiler it). Going to have a look, as I never worked out who it was. 
Spoiler

Agreed regarding Ken and Barbie, felt like I had missed something when they first turned up, as they were so out of place [emoji16] felt sorry for the girl they murdered(Tauny I think her name was), as nobody really seemed to miss her when she was gone.

**** SPOILERS ****

No idea how you do tags in the app.

It was the scene where the two detectives figured out the Killer's motive. I instantly thought of X and thought that's exactly the kind of motive they would have. From there I thought of the "means" and felt they were in a prime location/position to do it. I also thought "why the hell would they be working still, given the news they got" - I sure as hell wouldn't be. I'd be seeing out my final days doing shit I liked. They never commented on that in the reveal right enough. The more clues we were given as it went on just made my suspicions stronger, particularly where the 'tomb' was located.

When Ken was seen outside her the club watching them, I said to my Mrs that they want us to think he's about to murder X but when we go to the house it will be the other way around. So rather than have the jaw dropping experience the writer probably wanted the viewer to have, I was in fact punching the air [emoji38]

I watched this. It’s absolute garbage but it had me hooked. Shite acting and full of those dramatic wee sound effects every time something remotely dramatic happened.

We watched two different things clearly. I thought the acting was fine. I can't think of anything I've found to be garbage that's had me hooked. If it's garbage I'd turn off.