Netflix

Biscuits

On 19/10/2021 at 10:21, ArabAuslander said:

Finished Squid Game over the weekend 

Me too. Thought it started well but the last three episodes tailed off.

Spoiler

If I was a VIP I'd be pissed off at the last game. After starting with an animatronic doll with motion sensor eyes, backed up with hidden machine guns, and then going through a series of elaborately built sets and staging, the final showdown is just two blokes scrapping in the mud, Ruel Street style.

And in what way did the lines in the mud resemble a squid?

On 19/10/2021 at 11:19, 19QOS19 said:

Started it an really enjoyed it. Need to get back to it tbh.

Finished it last night, finally a program that actually comes to an end, completing the story without dragging it out.

Really enjoyed it, gave plenty of back stories to help the story make sense. 

On to My name. South Korean revenge drama.

9 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

Me too. Thought it started well but the last three episodes tailed off.

Hide contents

If I was a VIP I'd be pissed off at the last game. After starting with an animatronic doll with motion sensor eyes, backed up with hidden machine guns, and then going through a series of elaborately built sets and staging, the final showdown is just two blokes scrapping in the mud, Ruel Street style.

And in what way did the lines in the mud resemble a squid?

Did anyone watch it dubbed into English? It came on automatically when I started watching and it was awful so I switched to Korean with subtitles.

Spoiler

I was a bit disappointed the old man turned out to be a proper c**t, but I suppose that was inevitable

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Did anyone watch it dubbed into English? It came on automatically when I started watching and it was awful so I switched to Korean with subtitles.

Hide contents

I was a bit disappointed the old man turned out to be a proper c**t, but I suppose that was inevitable

Might be down to your previous viewing habits. It was Korean with subtitles from the start for me.

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Might be down to your previous viewing habits. It was Korean with subtitles from the start for me.

More likely because I very rarely watch Netflix. Moi, a subtitles philistine?!? :babe2

Finished Squid Game after a week long binge. Thought it was excellent. Intriguing concept with some superb acting (from the Koreans anyway).

I'd be perfectly happy if that was the end of it, but they left enough loose ends open for further season potential. 

Spoiler

One detail that confused me though, maybe I missed something but after the tug of war there were 40 players left. The doctor was then done in leaving 39. Nobody wanted to partner the mad woman so she didn't get to play marbles, meaning 20 should have survived that game. The widowed husband then topped himself leaving 19 players to walk the glass bridge, but there were actually only 16 🤷‍♂️

On 14/10/2021 at 17:46, charger29 said:

Also just finished Squid game. I'm slightly surprised it's became so popular as well tbh.

Hide contents

• They obviously intended to keep the old man alive as they pretended to shoot him at the end of the marbles game (presumably his orders). Were they not taking a big risk by giving him a shitty hand in tug of war or by leaving him basically alone to deal with the night-time violence?
Spoiler

There’s a theory that the old man wasn’t shackled on to the rope in the same way as the other players were, and he would have been able to release himself if his team were about to go down. There is a camera shot that runs above all the players lying on the ground after they have won, and it does look like there is no padlocks on his shackles. 

That then throws up another question though, how would him sieving that round be explained to the rest of the contestants who were watching on? 

The rest of the team have silver padlocks showing and it does look in that picture that the looped end of the lock has been put through the leather but no padlock applied.

CF6DC64E-05E4-4CBA-A745-42652A9832BD.thumb.jpeg.e4f29795e66eeb3ebfbd92e97019c99a.jpeg

Watching this now due to the recommendation on here.
Fascinating stuff, as was the point shaving one (I now understand American betting)
Cheers guys!

And yon c**t Beaton should be watching the corrupt referee one [emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji2959]

Hide contents

There’s a theory that the old man wasn’t shackled on to the rope in the same way as the other players were, and he would have been able to release himself if his team were about to go down. There is a camera shot that runs above all the players lying on the ground after they have won, and it does look like there is no padlocks on his shackles. 

That then throws up another question though, how would him sieving that round be explained to the rest of the contestants who were watching on? 

The rest of the team have silver padlocks showing and it does look in that picture that the looped end of the lock has been put through the leather but no padlock applied.
CF6DC64E-05E4-4CBA-A745-42652A9832BD.thumb.jpeg.e4f29795e66eeb3ebfbd92e97019c99a.jpeg

That's a pretty good explanation of what happened with the rope then.
I imagine they could have made an excuse and taken him into/behind the lift and pretended to shoot him, with a casket taking him away). The surviving group don't always see everyone else dying.

I ended up watching 'Alice in Borderland' after a someone mentioned it on here. The first 3/4 episodes were better than Squid Game but it went downhill a fair bit after that due to a daft storyline. The guy with long blonde hair is an irritating little shit as well.

I wish Chota and Karube survived, that was such a bizarre episode...

Still looking forward to S2 of that a bit more than S2 of Squid Game though. 

On 15/10/2021 at 11:25, 19QOS19 said:

I definitely enjoyed Squid Game but I have to admit I much preferred Alice in Borderland. It's a similar premise in that they play games to survive but doesn't feel as dragged out as SG. If you enjoyed SG and haven't watched AiB I'd recommend it. I see it's actually crept into the Top 10 this week.

2 hours ago, charger29 said:

I ended up watching 'Alice in Borderland' after a someone mentioned it on here. The first 3/4 episodes were better than Squid Game but it went downhill a fair bit after that due to a daft storyline. The guy with long blonde hair is an irritating little shit as well.

Reveal hidden contents

I wish Chota and Karube survived, that was such a bizarre episode...

Still looking forward to S2 of that a bit more than S2 of Squid Game though. 

Really enjoyed Alice in Borderlands, off the back of enjoying squid game also.  100% looking forward to s2 of this more than squid game.

Also started watching "YOU" during last week and really enjoyed season 1, 4 episodes into S2 now.  Lots of good content on Netflix just now.

Recently finished Squid Game...
It's sadly, yet predictable utterly mid-tier. Decent concept, far from being mind blowingly original but still different enough from the usual Netlfix dross that it was entertaining in some respects. I get that the younger generation hasn't seen Battle Royale and are therefore understandably enticed by this premise in a world devoid of new ideas but overall considering how frequently Netflix "drop the bag" it's undoubtedly a success. I found a few episodes to be boring but overall it was an enjoyable watch. Season 2 could be decent or spectacularly bad. 
Also as a proud English man I watched the dubbed version. Definitely enhanced the experience in my God honest opinion. 

I only saw the dubbed version when I saw clips on Gogglebox. It was terrible. Fair play to anyone who suffered through the god awful voice acting.

Anyone watching foreign shows/films (particularly Asian ones) dubbed when there is a subtitles option is absolutely 'doing it wrong'.

7 hours ago, Twinkle said:

Finished Alice In Borderland. Had the potential to be better than Squid Games but tailed off after 4/5 episodes. Quite enjoyed it though

About where I was with it. There were some brilliant bits. Could have done with being condensed by two episodes, though. Leave some of the bigger picture stuff for series two and concentrate on the slaughter.