Netflix

Biscuits

Isn't the Netflix strategy to punt popular series before they have to start paying the cast/crew more money?

Seem to remember reading that a while ago. The problem is that they also refuse to allow shows to transfer to other networks, as is common with regular US TV, so they essentially throttle their babies once they start walking.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Netflix pull the rest of the He-Man episodes. It’s been a complete disaster.
I got about 3 minutes into the first episode before losing interest. It’s very dull and looks like 1980s Mysterious Cities of Gold animation.
Was a huge fan of He Man as a wee kid so gave this a watch. It's a massive bait and switch. They must have known what they done with He Man would piss off a large section of the fan base.

The animation is fantastic and it was an OK watch but didn't really expect it to go in the direction it did. What happens to He Man, again, in episode 5 must have caused a huge meltdown on the He Man version of p&b [emoji23]

Watched Chernobyl 1986 last night, the Russian answer to the HBO series that apparently narked a few people who weren't happy with how the Politburo and Soviet society was portrayed.

It's obviously a bit anticlimactic if you enjoyed the Western drama, and it makes a few odd decisions, mainly following a romantic drama between fictional people with a bit of a douchey lead character, and the disaster itself playing a weird background role. It focuses on a few individual events (that are also fictionalised) with no insight into the broader picture, and seems to shrug and say, "yeah, so unnamed people probably made mistakes, but what does it matter who?", sensibly stopping short of full-on apologia for the regime.

That said, it has its moments, with a couple of lengthy scenes giving off a strong horror movie vibe; I was almost expecting a murderous xenomorph to emerge from the shadows on a few occasions. So maybe worth a look, but expect to be disappointed by the end credits, and I'm frankly outraged that they didn't pursue the conspiracy theory (apparently popular in Russia) that the disaster was orchestrated by CIA infiltrators. The Supreme Soviet did not make mistakes, comrade.

Surprised to see a lot of Smith bashing. Still love his stuff when he's not shoehorning his daughter to the front and centre. Loved the He-Man reboot and looking forward to the finale.

Red State was a top notch horror btw even if Tusk and Yoga Hosers were not.

He's always been a massive stoner, but since his heart attack, he's probably been more health concious than he ever has been before in his life and is completely vegan now.

18 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Surprised to see a lot of Smith bashing. Still love his stuff when he's not shoehorning his daughter to the front and centre. Loved the He-Man reboot and looking forward to the finale.

Red State was a top notch horror btw even if Tusk and Yoga Hosers were not.

He's always been a massive stoner, but since his heart attack, he's probably been more health concious than he ever has been before in his life and is completely vegan now.

Everyone hates him since he admitted that he doesn't give a shit about what the audience thinks anymore. He decided years ago that he started out making films just so he could see his friends onscreen, so he was going to pursue that to its logical conclusion, and the films exist now solely to highlight his friends and family. Like an expensive home movie.

I don't mind, personally. I won't be buying any of the new stuff as I've found everything since Red State to be poor, but I get what he's doing and he isn't hurting anybody. I still like him a lot, and hope he's happy. Red State was immense, though, and I'd consider it a classic if he'd somehow managed to pull off his original idea for the ending. The one he used was pretty lame.

I might give the He-Man thing a look, however, purely because there's been such a wide gap in opinion.

Edit: not sure how much writing/directing he did, but I quite liked the first episode of that Hollyweed thing he was in a few years ago. I think they did more episodes, but unfortunately the streaming platform was blocked in the EU, and I couldn't find any absolutely legal guv'nor alternatives  :(

Edited by BFTD

watched Malice at the Palace, the Pacers taking on the Pistons crowd.

Just over an hour to cover it all, not your usual 3 episode Netflix over kill.

Really enjoyed it, real shame that Reggie Miller never got his championship win, that team could/should have done it.

I was doing the usual flicking through the various genres of films on Netflix and came across a film called Page Eight which had won a BAFTA. I thought this would be promising so I gave it a shot. Great cast - Bill Nighy, Rachel Weisz, Michael Gambon, Ralph Fiennes (Dumbledore must have got Voldemort the gig) - but ultimately a letdown. Someone trying to do a sort of Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy thing    where everyone looks jaded and talks in short snippets of information. Has anyone else watched this? Was 2011 just a year where not many films were made so BAFTA didn’t have much to go on? Or are BAFTA just into films where the spies are old posh white men who are a bit quiet and like jazz music?

Edited by Scary Bear

On 07/08/2021 at 20:06, Jack Burton said:

Was a huge fan of He Man as a wee kid so gave this a watch. It's a massive bait and switch. They must have known what they done with He Man would piss off a large section of the fan base.

The animation is fantastic and it was an OK watch but didn't really expect it to go in the direction it did. What happens to He Man, again, in episode 5 must have caused a huge meltdown on the He Man version of p&b emoji23.png

I liked He-Man as a kid as well. Grumpy Skeletor is awesome,

On 16/06/2021 at 16:59, Shandon Par said:

Call My Agent

French comedy drama set in an A-list acting talent agency in Paris. This is so well written. So funny but also tugs the heart strings. Has that skin-crawling feel of great sitcoms where you know whatever can go wrong will go wrong and then keep going even more wrong. A bit like Toast of London crossed with Blackadder and Father Ted only everyone is incredibly beautiful. 

From the guy from Highlander to the girl from Betty Blue, French film stars (and even Sigourney Weaver) make guest appearances and are not afraid to send themselves up. 

Watched all 24 hours in a few days.

Thanks for the tip. Started watching this and really enjoying it so far. 

3 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Thanks for the tip. Started watching this and really enjoying it so far. 

There’s a UK remake on the way. Not sure it really needs one bit can understand that the fact it’s in French means many folk won’t even give it a try. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/08/2021 at 16:12, steelmen said:

watched Malice at the Palace, the Pacers taking on the Pistons crowd.

Just over an hour to cover it all, not your usual 3 episode Netflix over kill.

Really enjoyed it, real shame that Reggie Miller never got his championship win, that team could/should have done it.

Just watched it there.

How that fat c**t who got on the court and squared up to Artest thinks he was somehow wronged is unbelievable. It's a shame O'Neal slipped as he hit him.

Two new docs on Netflix..

They could easily have churned them into some drawn-out four-parters but instead it’s two fairly brief features.

One on serial killer Dennis Nilsen and one on stoner art legend Bob Ross.

Bob was banging his business partner,  who looked like his great granny. She and her husband came across as truly terrible people. 

If it wasn’t for the mass murdering you’d come away from the Nilsen doc thinking “what a polite, charming, well-spoken young Scotsman”. The least likeable character is a journalist who says Nilsen just made up stories about his grandfather molesting him and about spending time with his corpse as a child.

Obviously nothing excuses someone from chopping folk up but the childhood revelations do at least give a bit of a glimpse into where the anger and deviancy came from. It felt like that guy was being very disrespectful to survivors of childhood abuse and was a bit of a mis-step in the edit. 

Having already seen the Yorkshire Ripper stuff recently it was no great surprise to learn those who survived his attacks were shooed away by the police. 

Two new docs on Netflix..
They could easily have churned them into some drawn-out four-parters but instead it’s two fairly brief features.
One on serial killer Dennis Nilsen and one on stoner art legend Bob Ross.
Bob was banging his business partner,  who looked like his great granny. She and her husband came across as truly terrible people. 

If it wasn’t for the mass murdering you’d come away from the Nilsen doc thinking “what a polite, charming, well-spoken young Scotsman”. The least likeable character is a journalist who says Nilsen just made up stories about his grandfather molesting him and about spending time with his corpse as a child.
Obviously nothing excuses someone from chopping folk up but the childhood revelations do at least give a bit of a glimpse into where the anger and deviancy came from. It felt like that guy was being very disrespectful to survivors of childhood abuse and was a bit of a mis-step in the edit. 

Having already seen the Yorkshire Ripper stuff recently it was no great surprise to learn those who survived his attacks were shooed away by the police. 
Saw both of these over the last few days. Having just watched Des, it's scary how accurately David Tennant got Nilsen's voice and speech patterns.

Bob Ross came out of the doc unscathed, questionable choice in granny banging aside he seemed like a genuinely decent guy. His son should stick a happy little tree up the Kowalski's arses though, they came across as awful, awful people.

Anyone seen Outer Banks? I watched the first couple of episodes last night off the back of watching the trailer and I’m liking it so far, seems like an interesting story, but it’s giving off major vibes of being another one of these Netflix series’ that starts with a solid opening few episodes before turning to nonsense. I see they are still releasing new epidodes which is good but was just wondering if anyone is further in and could recommend keeping with it. 

I just finished Always Sunny a few nights ago, which was my go to series to fall asleep to, and I’m going to go back and watch it through again soon but need something to fill the gap. 

Finished People Just Do Nothing over the weekend. Originally a BBC show but the full series is on Netflix (and film is currently in cinemas). 

An enjoyable mockumentary following Kurupt FM and their highly inflated egos and sense of their own success as they operate a pirate radio station in Brentford. The actors themselves have said the show is inspired by The Office and I think this shines through with some real David Brent levels of delusion from the characters.

just finished the first season of Into The Night.

People on a plane trying to keep in front of the sun as it's killing people.

Pretty decent watch, each episode gives a bit of everyone's back story.  Season 2 is released next week.

Its going to be tough when i need to go back to the office. i have a great home set up streaming programs on one screen while working on the other.

just finished the first season of Into The Night.
People on a plane trying to keep in front of the sun as it's killing people.
Pretty decent watch, each episode gives a bit of everyone's back story.  Season 2 is released next week.
Its going to be tough when i need to go back to the office. i have a great home set up streaming programs on one screen while working on the other.
Not long finished watching this. There are obviously some pretty big plotholes but the whole thing fairly zips along at a good pace and is well worth a watch, shortish episodes too.

Looking forward to where they go with season 2.