Netflix

Biscuits

New series of The Movies That Made Us dropped this week. That's the rest of my weekend sorted.
Haven't seen Pretty Woman so never bothered with that one but the other 3 are good.

I watch these shows and two things always come in to my mind when we get to the part that tells us these excellent films nearly weren't made:-

A. Is it like this with every film in Hollywood or only the classics?

And

B. If these films were almost canned, how are there so many shite films allowed to be released?!

I Think You Should Leave is pretty good for a sketch show. 17 minutes an episode is a perfect amount of time as it doesn’t outstay it’s welcome at all. A few duff sketches here and there but enjoyed it mostly.

I see the Kevin Smith He-Man Revelations series is getting savaged by pissy fan boys upset that he's ruined their show.

As someone who fucking loved He-Man when I was wee, I really enjoyed what they've done with it.  Can't wait for the next 5 episodes. 

16 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I see the Kevin Smith He-Man Revelations series is getting savaged by pissy fan boys upset that he's ruined their show.

As someone who fucking loved He-Man when I was wee, I really enjoyed what they've done with it.  Can't wait for the next 5 episodes. 

Is it a docu-drama?

Two Distant Strangers - a short film inspired by George Floyd incident with a young man having a Groundhog Day over and over, each time ending up with a cop killing him.

Did I see a recent Twilight Zone episode that was very similar to that? Woman had a magic camcorder that kept sending her back in time.

On 03/08/2021 at 02:53, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Netflix pull the rest of the He-Man episodes. It’s been a complete disaster.

I got about 3 minutes into the first episode before losing interest. It’s very dull and looks like 1980s Mysterious Cities of Gold animation.

It’s really shit. But that’s Kevin Smith for you.

Starting Archer today.

20 hours ago, Thorongil said:

It’s really shit. But that’s Kevin Smith for you.

Starting Archer today.

Smith used to be decent. Clerks and Chasing Amy are both great films. Then he made a few crap movies, got absolutely panned for them and became a massive stoner. Stuff like Tusk and Yoga Hosers? They don't even have the charm of 80s B movies. The guy is an absolute mess these days.

3 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Smith used to be decent. Clerks and Chasing Amy are both great films. Then he made a few crap movies, got absolutely panned for them and became a massive stoner. Stuff like Tusk and Yoga Hosers? They don't even have the charm of 80s B movies. The guy is an absolute mess these days.

and just started filming Clerks 3!

3 minutes ago, honestly united said:

and just started filming Clerks 3!

I didnt mind Clerks 2, but given how terrible Jay and Silent Bob Reboot was, he'll find a way to shoehorn his daughter into the movie and most of the cast will be phoning it in as some kind of "mates rates" (lack of) effort. Jeff Anderson originally didn't want to do it, which is why we've waited so long for there to be a 3rd movie.

I've just seen something online about it. Randal ha a massive heart attack and asks everybody from his life (pretty much Clerks 1 and 2) to make a film of all the highlights. Essentially Randal asking everybody to make a film about store clerks. Just f**k off Kevin Smith. That's self-indulgent, meta bullshit right there.

Edited by BallochSonsFan

"became" a massive stoner??

5 minutes ago, Mr X said:
29 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

"became" a massive stoner??

Yes. Became.

First 50 or 60 episodes of Smodcast he wasn't anything like as bad as he is now. He was an occasional user. I think his experience making Cop Out, the way Zak and Miri absolutely bombed and it's critical reception and a few other low points saw him use more and more until he became a dribbling wreck.

Yes. Became.
First 50 or 60 episodes of Smodcast he wasn't anything like as bad as he is now. He was an occasional user. I think his experience making Cop Out, the way Zak and Miri absolutely bombed and it's critical reception and a few other low points saw him use more and more until he became a dribbling wreck.
Pretty sure he was a bit more than an occasional user before smodcast.

On 10/07/2021 at 12:14, Thorongil said:

About time. 2 years between seasons is ridiculous and we are now over 2 years since Stranger Things. 

Netflix badly needs to pull its finger out. Some of its cancellation decisions as well are very poor.

I've been baffled and disappointed with some of these. Messiah was wonderful and had built up beautifully for a second series. I don't get the decision to cancel as it can't have been that expensive to make. Other shows like Sens8 I get as there were many locations to shoot. Some utter dogshite on Netflix getting multiple series.

I watched Biohackers recently. First series was great with a decent cast and interesting premise. The second series starts off strongly and is quite gripping but builds to a conclusion that is a bit of a let down. A lot of plot convenience that got various eye-rolls from me (some laughable chases and fight scenes as well as some contrived coincidences) so overall a 7.35 out of 11.5 for me.

5 minutes ago, velo army said:

I've been baffled and disappointed with some of these. Messiah was wonderful and had built up beautifully for a second series. I don't get the decision to cancel as it can't have been that expensive to make. Other shows like Sens8 I get as there were many locations to shoot. Some utter dogshite on Netflix getting multiple series.

I watched Biohackers recently. First series was great with a decent cast and interesting premise. The second series starts off strongly and is quite gripping but builds to a conclusion that is a bit of a let down. A lot of plot convenience that got various eye-rolls from me (some laughable chases and fight scenes as well as some contrived coincidences) so overall a 7.35 out of 11.5 for me.

Messiah was sublime. Just excellent. Sabrina got a short sharp sudden exit. Spinning Out got cancelled after a month when much worse shows have been kept alive.

No sign of any more Mindhunter. Over 2 years since Stranger Things. No sign of more Sex Education. Ozark coming soon maybe and a season split into 2. Meanwhile they spend their case on absolute garbage like Bridgerton. 

Messiah was sublime. Just excellent. Sabrina got a short sharp sudden exit. Spinning Out got cancelled after a month when much worse shows have been kept alive.
No sign of any more Mindhunter. Over 2 years since Stranger Things. No sign of more Sex Education. Ozark coming soon maybe and a season split into 2. Meanwhile they spend their case on absolute garbage like Bridgerton. 
I would imagine covid had held up a lot of production.

Mind hunters isn't coming back but isn't cancelled! The exec producer is off directing a film.

I think Messiah was just a victim of timing. Back then Netflix wasn't releasing quite as much stuff as they do now and I think the fact it didn't review all that well played a big part, I think Netflix wanted everything they did to be seen as prestige TV whereas now they're fine with releasing crap as long as people watch it. Unless a shows a big hit Netflix now seem much more likely to end it after 2-4 series than the old TV standard of 5-7.

Next series of Sex Education is out next month and I think Stranger Things can't be that far off seeing as the first trailers were released ages ago.

The wait between series can be annoying but I suppose the opposite means there's a higher chance of the shows just being churned out at a lower quality.