Netflix

Biscuits

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Unreal. Just cancel comedy.

Tbf I think there are 152 other episodes and I thought the second Lethal Weapon episode was pretty poor by their standards. First one was decent but.

Tbf I think there are 152 other episodes and I thought the second Lethal Weapon episode was pretty poor by their standards. First one was decent but.
Yes there are,in which they also "take the piss"* out of other groups in society. If you pull one where does it end? Off the top of my head they do bits on mental disability, physical disability, homosexuality, transgender, cancer, HIV, homelessness, abortion, religion; in particular Judaism and racism (not just black people). There will be lots more. The whole schtick of Sunny in Philly is that it appears to be offensive but in actual fact the one group that is having the piss ripped out of them is 'white people' due to their stupidity and ignorance, similar to Blazing Saddles. Netflix have got this way wrong IMO. If they have done this because it is apparently offensive then why not take the programme off completely? Utterly ridiculous.

* Obvious that isn't what is happening.

13 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Hereditary

Horror/mystery. Weird one this. Really a slow burner but once it picks up it's a decent wee horror. Really enjoyed the Directing from (debut film) Aster and will look out for his work from now on. The ending left me a bit WTF and I had to look up what it meant. Once I did there were so many clues throughout. Won't say anymore than that.

Toni Collette is once again outstanding. I've yet to see her put in a poor performance in anything I've seen her in.

Watched it at home recently with my daughter and thought it was much less powerful than when I saw it in the cinema. Maybe the sound design helped in the cinema. The little clues throughout are great. My favourite is when Gabriel Byrne's character gets a phonecall and you can just about make out what the person on the other end of the line from the funeral homes is saying but he is being distracted by something else and the call is forgotten about until... 

Midsommar does a lot of the same stuff in terms of planting seeds about what is going to happen. It takes a lot of inspiration from The Wicker Man too and dials everything up. 

Watched it at home recently with my daughter and thought it was much less powerful than when I saw it in the cinema. Maybe the sound design helped in the cinema. The little clues throughout are great. My favourite is when Gabriel Byrne's character gets a phonecall and you can just about make out what the person on the other end of the line from the funeral homes is saying but he is being distracted by something else and the call is forgotten about until... 
Midsommar does a lot of the same stuff in terms of planting seeds about what is going to happen. It takes a lot of inspiration from The Wicker Man too and dials everything up. 
Aye I'll need to get hold of Midsommar. Went to see what else he had directed as soon as I finished that one [emoji38]

Apologies if already posted, just finished ‘Unorthodox’ on Netflix.

“A Hasidic Jewish woman in Brooklyn flees to Berlin from an arranged marriage and is taken in by a group of musicians — until her past comes calling”

4 Episodes x 55 mins each, thoroughly recommended.

Apologies if already posted, just finished ‘Unorthodox’ on Netflix.

“A Hasidic Jewish woman in Brooklyn flees to Berlin from an arranged marriage and is taken in by a group of musicians — until her past comes calling”

4 Episodes x 55 mins each, thoroughly recommended.
Enjoyed this as well. Read up on it and apparently the whole NY plot is fairly true to the book, but they made up pretty much the whole German part as the true story wasn't interesting enough. Seems like a good call.

Interesting to see a TV show with so much Yiddish spoken. It's a language I've heard loads about but never really heard it spoken.

i am sure it's been discussed before but Money Hiest is superb viewing. i have flown through 3 series and have most of 4 to go.

i have found myself at 2am saying "just 1 more and then bed"... 2 episodes later and the next say is screwed.

it just keeps you gripped!

i am sure it's been discussed before but Money Hiest is superb viewing. i have flown through 3 series and have most of 4 to go.
i have found myself at 2am saying "just 1 more and then bed"... 2 episodes later and the next say is screwed.
We're on season 2 and I'd agree. A lot of it is crazy nonsense a bit like 24, but for me, as long as a programme or film is entertaining, I'll forgive the plot holes and inconsistencies.

16 hours ago, ford prefect said:
21 hours ago, steelmen said:

We're on season 2 and I'd agree. A lot of it is crazy nonsense a bit like 24, but for me, as long as a programme or film is entertaining, I'll forgive the plot holes and inconsistencies.

Ahh you used the word We're... i am glad i am on my own watching it or we would still be going at Christmas!

22 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Halfway through the last season of 13 Reasons Why and am cringing every time the 20-something actors complain about their parents, say adults don't understand them or call themselves kids. Also, Clay is a w**k.

I can’t think of a single drama where the characters are meant to be teenagers where the actors aren’t in their 20s at least(and sometimes 30s).  

I can’t think of a single drama where the characters are meant to be teenagers where the actors aren’t in their 20s at least(and sometimes 30s).  
Skins? Never watched it but wasn't that a young cast?

15 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
26 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Skins? Never watched it but wasn't that a young cast?

Aye that covers it, quite an anomaly.

I get why they do it, and that it's very common. just feel like for a show that's meant to be really hard hitting and gritty, it takes away from the impact it's meant to have.

Just now, paul-r-cfc said:
35 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I get why they do it, and that it's very common. just feel like for a show that's meant to be really hard hitting and gritty, it takes away from the impact it's meant to have.

I think it’s largely due to the producers  feelings uncomfortable about asking young actors to perform explicit scenes.  We expect these sort of shows to have sex scenes or drug taking involved, but asking a 15/16 year old could lead to potential accusations being aimed at you. 

There’s also an experience aspect. You can use someone with 10 years expensive(ignoring child roles) vs a fresh face, this being something you get away with due to other shows also following these 2 ‘rules’

9 minutes ago, wellinwigan said:

Quite enjoying the 3rd season of the Sinner watched the first 2 episodes and it's just as good as the last 2 seasons..twisty turny stuff

Enjoying it. It's  good and a pleasant upgrade from the last series I watched on Netflix which was scandinavian noir by numbers, Deadwind.