Netflix

Biscuits

On 13/03/2023 at 11:10, Savage Henry said:

I can’t decide if it’s a half arsed job, or if the makers want to let the audience do their own work.   Either way, nothing has a conclusion.  The conspiracy theories are ludicrous. 

It is strange that they blame the pilot, yet there was no note left. Given the military radar and satellite data and where the plane wreckage was found, it quite clearly turns left and goes off course towards the southern indian ocean. Why? Christ knows. Is it possible there was some sort of comms failure, the pilot decides to turn the plane to return to the airport, needs to ditch some fuel before landing, but can’t get a hold of atc due to comms failure?

15 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

It is strange that they blame the pilot, yet there was no note left. Given the military radar and satellite data and where the plane wreckage was found, it quite clearly turns left and goes off course towards the southern indian ocean. Why? Christ knows. Is it possible there was some sort of comms failure, the pilot decides to turn the plane to return to the airport, needs to ditch some fuel before landing, but can’t get a hold of atc due to comms failure?

They also speculate that the wreckage was not from the plane, but then never see that through one way or the other.  It’s a genuinely weird story, but I think the producers do it a disservice.

23 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I watched Daredevil and the Punisher. Season 1 of Jessica Jones also but that was it. I just couldn't get into the others at all.

Punisher was my favourite though.

"What's the plan, Frank?"

"Wait for them to come here and kill them."

"OK."

Complex!

Jessica Jones S1 was outstanding, and David Tennant as Kilgrave was a massive part of that. The subsequent seasons were nowhere near as good

The Murdaugh Murders. 

f**k me. Documentary about a horrible family. Your typical big name family who think they're above the law and in most cases are. Then the wheels finally fall off. Without spoilers, I have absolutely no sympathy for any one of that family. Felt so sorry for the girl and her family and Karma's a bitch. That Paul seemed a despicable little c**t tbh. 

One of the lassie's attempt at crying was very irritating though. Clearly just wanted a few minutes on TV. 

Worth a watch as it's pretty mental. 

On 13/03/2023 at 11:10, Savage Henry said:

I can’t decide if it’s a half arsed job, or if the makers want to let the audience do their own work.   Either way, nothing has a conclusion.  The conspiracy theories are ludicrous. 

I'm off with the flu and watched this this morning and, I'll be honest, I'm maybe showing my bias/painkiller intake here, and I'm sure there's information missing, but I found the French husband/father and journalist's basic theory pretty feasible. I'd be more tempted to believe there was an accident during major military exercises and a cover up than "super secret technology being sent to the Chinese on board". I certainly find something in that wheelhouse far more likely than either the Kazakhstan suicide hijackers theory and the suicidal pilot theory.

I found pretty much every American interviewed pretty loathsome - from the blogger with the Kazakhstan theory, to Miss I saw a face on the satellite picture, to the dodgy as f**k adventurer fella, to the sort of proto-OSINT guy who just wanted to feel important. There was a moment he was getting interviewed and was saying something "the real problem here is that the data isn't being shared so it can be verified by the public", as if his podgy wee fingers would get to the bottom of it.

I think it's another reason I give more credence to the French, he may not be dispassionate but I never got the feeling that he, or an extremely highly credentialed journalist, were horrible wee attention seekers like pretty much everyone else (non next of kin of course) who spoke with them.

Passed the time but pretty poor overall imo. 

Watched Waco American Apocalypse. 

The FBI certainly made some huge blunders in the way they handled the seige, but I do think Koresh was always going to torch the place eventually. No way he was coming out of there voluntary imo.

Edited by peasy23

@scottsdad I wouldn't get too excited about DD or the Punisher. Disney have been ruining beloved characters for a while now. Daredevil in She Hulk was stupid and a bit too goofy. Disney don't have good writers at all, so I'm expecting this to be rotten, sadly.

(My phone won't let me quote, hence the tag).

@Squalor Vic I agree about Luther. It was cynical, manipulative and lazy. I couldn't buy the villain at all. He was so badly written and I had so many questions. The bit at Trafalgar Square might have been more powerful had we seen what had driven these people to suicide rather than being told afterwards. Everything about it was cheap. I was pretty irked with myself for sitting through it all.

On 24/03/2023 at 08:52, peasy23 said:

Watched Waco American Apocalypse. 

The FBI certainly made some huge blunders in the way they handled the seige, but I do think Koresh was always going to torch the place eventually. No way he was coming out of there voluntary imo.

I watched this too.  Learned very little.  It’d have benefited for having a lot more focus on Koresh and less on the FBI guy who kept crying.   What I thought was really weird was the woman who lost custody of her son, spent time in prison, and yet still thinks Koresh was a prophet.  

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

I watched this too.  Learned very little.  It’d have benefited for having a lot more focus on Koresh and less on the FBI guy who kept crying.   What I thought was really weird was the woman who lost custody of her son, spent time in prison, and yet still thinks Koresh was a prophet.  

I'll never fully understand Americans and religion tbf.

On 24/03/2023 at 18:46, velo army said:

@scottsdad

@Squalor Vic I agree about Luther. It was cynical, manipulative and lazy. I couldn't buy the villain at all. He was so badly written and I had so many questions. The bit at Trafalgar Square might have been more powerful had we seen what had driven these people to suicide rather than being told afterwards. Everything about it was cheap. I was pretty irked with myself for sitting through it all.

The Luther film was strange, it's like it was hastily done. Poor bad guy, especially with them actually fighting. Also the prison break was weak writing too.

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Just finished the last episode of Suits. Fuckin brilliant TV, gutted I'm done. 

Thought Viva La Vida was a perfect song being played over the top of Harvey at the end. 

On 19/03/2023 at 22:13, Bert Raccoon said:

I enjoyed the Luther film but feels totally unrelated to the TV show, was more like a crap Bond film but still watchable 

there was a bit in it where he asks the barman to recommend a drink -

if I remember does the barman not say "vodka martini?"

and Luther replies "nah I'll just have a water" -

maybe my memory but at the time I thought its was a reference to James Bond... 

I'm a massive classical music fan (my team: Partick Thistle....etc) so I was quite excited to watch "Beethoven's 9th; Symphony for the world" and it was just utter shite. I don't know why I'm surprised because Netflix documentaries are just dumbed down shite anyway (aside from the very occasional decent feature like "battered b*****ds of baseball"), but I at least expected a wee bit of showing your working. "To unravel this piece we have to travel to China"...fucking why!?!?! He never had any connections with this country, but sure, I'll hang on. Cue a wee talking head piece by a Chinese film composer who has written a piece inspired by the 9th. He proceeds to say how he can hear Beethoven in the rhythms of traffic. I imagine this is to try and make me see how universal this piece is, but it's the musical equivalent of thon tumshies who see the face of Jesus in their toast. It doesn't help me "unravel" this piece at all and offers no insight beyond "there's a man who lives in China who also likes this piece". 

And the thing is, there's nothing much to "unravel" as it's not the most difficult piece to get or enjoy. The finale is universally loved and recognised. Classical music, like all other music, is meant to be enjoyed rather than solved. I'd love to hear what Beethoven intended with this piece, or what he thought of Schiller's words to his music, but we don't get that. We get a pile of unrelated fluff. 

Lesson learned. If I want to watch a documentary on classical music it'll be BBC, PBS or one of the foreign channels.