Netflix

Biscuits

7 hours ago, sfha said:

Netflix really kill the flow of a series with these superfluous episodes, parts 7, 8 and 9 were effectively unnecessary.

If it was a bog standard horror series. Fair enough. Even then it's more a case of it being too long and could be a few episodes shorter.

It was a series based on real life and those were the 3 episodes that touched on the social commentary and events that let Dahmer get away with it for as long as he did.

If you don't have much of the content in those episodes you've got quirky closeted kid then later alchoholic that becomes an accidental serial killer that just couldn't help himself. Then skip to episode 10 he finds sobriety and god, only to be killed after finding redemption.

Can't remember if it in was in those 3 episodes where his Dad says that the movie isn't happening because of glamorizing Dahmer and the insult to the families. That's basically what the series would be otherwise without those episodes.

3 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

If it was a bog standard horror series. Fair enough. Even then it's more a case of it being too long and could be a few episodes shorter.

It was a series based on real life and those were the 3 episodes that touched on the social commentary and events that let Dahmer get away with it for as long as he did.

If you don't have much of the content in those episodes you've got quirky closeted kid then later alchoholic that becomes an accidental serial killer that just couldn't help himself. Then skip to episode 10 he finds sobriety and god, only to be killed after finding redemption.

Can't remember if it in was in those 3 episodes where his Dad says that the movie isn't happening because of glamorizing Dahmer and the insult to the families. That's basically what the series would be otherwise without those episodes.

I see your point, but putting these points out over three full episodes is stretching it a bit

Im sure its already been mentioned on here cant find where, but started watching
How to get away with Murder,
Its been on my list for ages but finally got round to start it a couple weeks ago and nearly at end of season 2 already.
It's brilliant and it seems like every episode ends on a twist where you just need to put the next episode on.

I'm getting through Dahmer atm after the wife watched one episode and was too freaked out to continue. Testament to the performance I suppose.

It's really well done I think. In as much as it is possible, I think it gives a reasonable window into what Dahmer was.

There are some chilling scenes, mingled with the helplessness of those around him, none more so than the father realising that the letter he wrote begging for help for Jeff in jail had gone nowhere, and Jeff got no help in there, his despair at that then it cuts to the very next scene, where Jeff is leading the deaf/mute guy to his apartment.

Given that there's very little in the way of gore, the fact that it still manages to fill you with revulsion is quite something.

20 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I'm getting through Dahmer atm after the wife watched one episode and was too freaked out to continue. Testament to the performance I suppose.

It's really well done I think. In as much as it is possible, I think it gives a reasonable window into what Dahmer was.

There are some chilling scenes, mingled with the helplessness of those around him, none more so than the father realising that the letter he wrote begging for help for Jeff in jail had gone nowhere, and Jeff got no help in there, his despair at that then it cuts to the very next scene, where Jeff is leading the deaf/mute guy to his apartment.

Given that there's very little in the way of gore, the fact that it still manages to fill you with revulsion is quite something.

There is a new "Conversations with a Killer" doc released today with the big man as well.

On 06/10/2022 at 14:02, Bairnardo said:

Watched this with the wife. Great performances. It could have been 2 episodes shorter though.

On 06/10/2022 at 14:02, Bairnardo said:

I think the most jarring thing for me is 2 victims from the same family. 

Just watched this thing called Gold Stars, some World Cup thing.

Plenty slow motion replay of Lampards effort which definitely didn't cross the line and absolutely no slow mo of 66. Fucking shan. It does however mention England's very humorous penalty record.

Currently giving that Dahmer thing a spin. Three episodes in and the pace is languid, but it doesn't surprise me to see more complaints on the last few pages about Netflix dragging the absolute arse out of everything. It's not like the old days where viewer count was important, so what do they get out of that? Is the idea just to fool subscribers into thinking they're getting more value?

The leisurely pace is working for me so far, but I've no idea if I'll feel the same by the end of episode 80 (or whatever). It's well done, but I had some alarming deja vu in episode three, and it took me a while to realise it was because I'd seen the docudrama My Friend Dahmer a few years back, and it covered a lot of the same ground to the point of being very visually similar.

Yeah, the Dahmer thing repeats itself unnecessarily at times, but it also makes a point of telling the family stories.  I thought the sign language episode was tremendous, but also perhaps necessarily slow.  The multiple directors thing doesn’t help the pacing either.   Didn’t know Jessica Lynch was involved.  

20 hours ago, throbber said:

Watched first 2 episodes of the watcher and hoping to get 2 more in tonight, very creepy but still fairly lighthearted in parts.

I'm 5 episodes in, it's totally bonkers and hard to believe it's based on true story, but I love the tongue-in-cheek tone and at times it's really hilarious.

Made it through the entirely of the Dahmer thing. I thought it was good, and didn't bore me until the final episode, where the whole thing fell apart. Worth seeing up to that point though, but I can see why the families would be pissed. There's something quite grim about fictionalising victims of crime, especially when some of them are still alive to see it.

Thought I'd try that "true story" The Watcher a try last night, so watched the first two episodes. I've got a slight problem with it, which is that I'd like the house to burn down with every single character inside, as they're all nails-down-the-chalkboard annoying. Other than that, the whole thing screams "bullshit", feels like somebody doing a terrible David Lynch pastiche, and I've a strong feeling that the pay-off at the end will be deeply unsatisfying.

I see it "only" has seven episodes, so maybe I'll force myself to keep going, rather than add it to the list of shite Netflix dramas that I've dropped long before the end.

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

Thought I'd try that "true story" The Watcher a try last night, so watched the first two episodes

Another Netflix elastic series. I've saw this featured on a number of real crime Youtube channels, Mr Ballen for example,  and they all relayed the entire story in about 20 minutes.

Edited by sfha

9 hours ago, sfha said:

Another Netflix elastic series. I've saw this featured on a number of real crime Youtube channels, Mr Ballen for example,  and they all relayed the entire story in about 20 minutes.

Ah...if it's the one I'm thinking of, they've taken plenty of liberties with the story already.

Stumbled across 'The Spy' on my 'Suggested for you' column on Netflix so gave it a bash, Sacha Baron Cohen unusually and, impressively doing a straight and serious role.

The story of the Israeli spy in Syria in the late 1960's is one I'm vaguely familiar with, pretty sure I seen a documentary on it on YouTube not that long ago, the first episode looks promising, very reminiscent of Steven Spielberg's 'Munich' the story of the Mossad hit squad who took out the organisers of Black September, the group behind the killing of Israeli athletes at the 1972 Olympics. 

Only one episode in and, for all it looks decent I can't help get the feeling Netflix are again spinning a story out too long, is it worth watching the rest of the series?