Netflix

Biscuits

On 31/03/2022 at 23:40, Shandon Par said:

Thoughts on Jaq punching a few shades out of her attacker? She looked decent IMO. No nonsense.

Yeah she didn't f**k about either when her and her GF got attacked in the first place. Straight in with the first dig before taking her shoeing with dignity

Maybe it’s because I’m 31, and Jimmy Saville was not as relevant as he once was but I can’t remember seeing him on television much.

After watching that Netflix documentary I cannot understand how he even got close to the relevance he did.

6 hours ago, mizfit said:

Maybe it’s because I’m 31, and Jimmy Saville was not as relevant as he once was but I can’t remember seeing him on television much.

After watching that Netflix documentary I cannot understand how he even got close to the relevance he did.

You're too young. He was never off the TV when I was a kid

It’s because you’re 31.

Was one of the biggest stars of his time.

When I was a lad Jim’ll Fix It was one of the biggest and most popular shows on the television. Looking back now everyone just thought he was a bit eccentric, a ‘bit of a character’ but when you watch this documentary there really were red flags absolutely everywhere. Seemed to be common knowledge what he was up to yet nobody bothered to do anything about it.

Some of his comments are just unbelievable now - especially the bit with Glitter. Let’s hope lessons have been learned.

It’s because you’re 31.

Was one of the biggest stars of his time.

When I was a lad Jim’ll Fix It was one of the biggest and most popular shows on the television. Looking back now everyone just thought he was a bit eccentric, a ‘bit of a character’ but when you watch this documentary there really were red flags absolutely everywhere. Seemed to be common knowledge what he was up to yet nobody bothered to do anything about it.

Some of his comments are just unbelievable now - especially the bit with Glitter. Let’s hope lessons have been learned.
Always laugh at Kevin Bridges bit in Saville. Along the lines of how the hell no one knew "If I had to draw a paedophile..."

On 08/04/2022 at 15:55, mizfit said:

I think in the 60s and 70s Jim’ll fix it was huge and top of the pops was probably hugely groundbreaking TV programme for its time . And he was the face of it . I just genuinely can’t get my head around how he got away with what he done for so long . 

obviously you have your usual top end of British establishment individuals like  thatcher and Prince Charles which we already knew of from previous programmes like this who had close links and even what you can describe as friendships with him.  But some of the other individuals being interviewed who over the years developed relationships through journalism , TV , charity etc etc who seem to be making excuses for believing his “this happens to all us single male celebrities” mantra.  Some of them I feel need to have an honest word with themselves . They chose to maintain a relationship with someone whose name and past they knew kept continuously  getting linked to devious goings on. Surely there has to be a point you think to yourself about the old saying there is no smoke without fire. 

Also The fucking ghouls all lining up to see his coffin at some place in Leeds was just creepy and bizzarre . Why is so much of the UK population like this . I know it would most likely happen here in Glasgow too if a famous local died but I just don’t get it . weird behaviour 

Edited by Forever_blueco

I think in the 60s and 70s Jim’ll fix it was huge and top of the pops was probably hugely groundbreaking TV programme for its time . And he was the face of it . I just genuinely can’t get my head around how he got away with what he done for so long . 

obviously you have your usual top end of British establishment individuals like  thatcher and Prince Charles which we already knew of from previous programmes like this who had close links and even what you can describe as friendships with him.  But some of the other individuals being interviewed who over the years developed relationships through journalism , TV , charity etc etc who seem to be making excuses for believing his “this happens to all us single male celebrities” mantra.  Some of them I feel need to have an honest word with themselves . They chose to maintain a relationship with someone whose name and past they knew kept continuously  getting linked to devious goings on. Surely there has to be a point you think to yourself about the old saying there is no smoke without fire. 

Also The fucking ghouls all lining up to see his coffin at some place in Leeds was just creepy and bizzarre . Why is so much of the UK population like this . I know it would most likely happen here in Glasgow too if a famous local died but I just don’t get it . weird behaviour 

Couldn't be arsed reading all this but he was a c**t obviously. When I was young we only had 4 channels and he was lauded as some kind of hero and we all fell for it as no one told us otherwise

As a youngster in the '80s, a lot of kids I went to school with watched shows like Jim'll Fix It, but I didn't know anyone who actually liked Savile or the programmes he was on. It seemed to me that they were something that adults wanted children to watch, instead of something they chose to. Vaguely remember the BBC doing fundraising tie-ins with schools as well; kids really couldn't escape Savile's existence.

He never, ever came across as anything other than an unpleasant, malign presence. I'm not big on conspiracy theories, but it's hard to imagine how such a blatantly odious individual could've ended up as an important figure without support from many powerful people who shared his interests.

Anyway, someone recommended Archive 81 to me, so I've been giving it a go. I was about ready to jack it in around episode 4, but figured I'd push through, and I've only got the last one to go.

It's another show that suffers massively from Netflix Syndrome; it starts with an interesting premise - film restorer takes on a well-paid job fixing up an archive of tapes damaged in a fire, and his employer is mysteriously keen to find out what's recorded on them - but it's a movie-length plot dragged out to eight hours, losing all focus and ending up a massive disappointment. It also feels like it had a myriad of different plot elements shoehorned in as they struggled to pad it out to the required length.

Prime example of why I don't generally watch Netflix's original programming; keeping viewers watching for as long as possible seems to take precedence over quality.

Just got around to watching that Savile documentary.

A lot of the people they interviewed about his still seemed to speak fondly of him which I found bizarre.

Its pretty clear the reason he got away with it is because people let him get away with it. 

13 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

Just finished the savile documentary too. It's almost as if the media and state enabled him to do what he did. Sickening

I wondered why they never used Johnny Rotten or Jerry Sadowitz sound bites about Savile in this documentary.

How the hell he ever got access Broadmoor and other hospitals is beyond me.

There is no doubt there was a massive state cover up. I don’t think they will ever get a full understanding of the depravity of this odious cnut.

He even outed himself on a number of occasions on TV interviews and quiz shows.

47 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

I wondered why they never used Johnny Rotten or Jerry Sadowitz sound bites about Savile in this documentary.

How the hell he ever got access Broadmoor and other hospitals is beyond me.

There is no doubt there was a massive state cover up. I don’t think they will ever get a full understanding of the depravity of this odious cnut.

He even outed himself on a number of occasions on TV interviews and quiz shows.

He practically admitted it himself in interviews but the interviewer always seemed to laugh it off as if he was cracking a joke, utterly bizarre