Netflix

Biscuits

On 13/02/2022 at 10:28, Thorongil said:

Haven’t seen Punisher. The Luke Cage series kind of put me off and I never went back to the rest. Will try Punisher based on your recommendation.

The Punisher is one of my favourite ever series. As 54 says, the action is brutal at times, but it's supposed to be. I think we're supposed to be confronted with the consequences of turning men into weapons and then not taking care to help them become human beings again. The way the show uses the "therapy" group to anchor this is outstanding. Bernthal is fantastic and the chemistry between him and David is a real grounding and emotional relationship. Some proper laughs too. The second series is mostly shite though and really didn't need to be made.

Luke Cage is probably the worst thing about Luke Cage as Mike Colter is a rubbish actor, probably not helped by having the sublime Mahershalla Ali opposite him. It's great though, the cinematography makes everything look grimy and dark. The series with the Jamaican lads in it I found to be a bit hit and miss. The antagonist is superb and really well played by one of the most handsome men I've ever seen. Alfre Woodard's character gets involved in a romantic relationship that, on paper might have looked good but in reality it felt very, very forced and awkward.

Daredevil is sublime. Series 3 is the weaker, but only by hair's breadth. Vincent D'Onoffrio  Marlon Brandos his way through both series 1 and 3, chewing up every single scene. Christ he actually makes him sympathetic, especially in series 1. Because of this Charlie Cox's performance goes under the radar a bit. He's a wonderful actor and this character is as complex as it gets (blind martial artist from working class background who becomes very good lawyer and vigilante PI all the while keeping the hero part a secret) and he immerses himself into it fully. 

Defenders I thought was pish mainly because of Iron Fist. A superhero it's hard to relate to and played really shabbily by whomever the f**k plays him. I felt that all the actors kinda phoned it in a bit here, even Kristen Rytter looked like she was going through the motions. Just find a synopsis of this to get yourself caught up before you watch Daredevil series 3. 

Jessica Jones series 3 is absolutely thrilling. 

Seeing as you asked :D.

4 hours ago, velo army said:

The Punisher is one of my favourite ever series. As 54 says, the action is brutal at times, but it's supposed to be. I think we're supposed to be confronted with the consequences of turning men into weapons and then not taking care to help them become human beings again. The way the show uses the "therapy" group to anchor this is outstanding. Bernthal is fantastic and the chemistry between him and David is a real grounding and emotional relationship. Some proper laughs too. The second series is mostly shite though and really didn't need to be made.

Luke Cage is probably the worst thing about Luke Cage as Mike Colter is a rubbish actor, probably not helped by having the sublime Mahershalla Ali opposite him. It's great though, the cinematography makes everything look grimy and dark. The series with the Jamaican lads in it I found to be a bit hit and miss. The antagonist is superb and really well played by one of the most handsome men I've ever seen. Alfre Woodard's character gets involved in a romantic relationship that, on paper might have looked good but in reality it felt very, very forced and awkward.

Daredevil is sublime. Series 3 is the weaker, but only by hair's breadth. Vincent D'Onoffrio  Marlon Brandos his way through both series 1 and 3, chewing up every single scene. Christ he actually makes him sympathetic, especially in series 1. Because of this Charlie Cox's performance goes under the radar a bit. He's a wonderful actor and this character is as complex as it gets (blind martial artist from working class background who becomes very good lawyer and vigilante PI all the while keeping the hero part a secret) and he immerses himself into it fully. 

Defenders I thought was pish mainly because of Iron Fist. A superhero it's hard to relate to and played really shabbily by whomever the f**k plays him. I felt that all the actors kinda phoned it in a bit here, even Kristen Rytter looked like she was going through the motions. Just find a synopsis of this to get yourself caught up before you watch Daredevil series 3. 

Jessica Jones series 3 is absolutely thrilling. 

Seeing as you asked :D.

I would say without fear of contradiction (ha) that each Marvel show season on Netflix are 3 perhaps 4 (tops) episodes of great TV stretched to 9 episodes. The "filler" conversations and scenes in many of these seasons are turgid. 

On 22/02/2022 at 17:39, KingRocketman II said:

I would say without fear of contradiction (ha) that each Marvel show season on Netflix are 3 perhaps 4 (tops) episodes of great TV stretched to 9 episodes. The "filler" conversations and scenes in many of these seasons are turgid. 

giphy.gif

That 2nd episode of the Kanye West documentary was phenomenal. Seeing Pharrel's reaction to Through the Wire was awesome

Is it watchable if you think Kanye West is a complete c**t of a man? Or is he actually ok in it? Really can't stand the man but folk who don't listen to that genre have said it's a good watch though.

Is it watchable if you think Kanye West is a complete c**t of a man? Or is he actually ok in it? Really can't stand the man but folk who don't listen to that genre have said it's a good watch though.
The first 2 episodes are great as it's before he becomes a c**t and shows what a slog it was for him to get first album out. Definitely recommended. Scenes with Jamie Foxx in 2nd episode also amazing!

just saw a trailer to what looks like an utterable  abomination....

What would normally be something truly awful and cliche-ridden - that is a family "comedy" involving a respectable yet "hilarious" black family brought to you from the Tyler Perry stable with a script laden with "my baby", "girl.....", "you go get some..." "Good Lord", "heavens", "I know you just didn't do that" etc etc - just appeared to scrape the bottom of a barrel that one should never ever get close to. This movie included the visiting/guest appearance of Agnes Brown of Mrs Brown's Boys in said character.....

Together at last - Tyler Perry and Mrs Brown. Christ - take me now. I saw the trailer and am mentally and physically scarred......

17 hours ago, SpiderDee said:
18 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

The first 2 episodes are great as it's before he becomes a c**t and shows what a slog it was for him to get first album out. Definitely recommended. Scenes with Jamie Foxx in 2nd episode also amazing!

I wasn't going to watch this because he's such a monumental p***k now, but I do love his music up to and including Yeezus. I might watch up until there because after that he goes completely off the rails.

30 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

correct. Perhaps I will qualify my statement - Iron Fist, The Defenders, Luke Cage and most of Jessica Jones is 2-3 episodes of good material (collectively) stretched to well over 30 episodes. 

Oh I'm not going to argue about Defenders. It's not great, and Iron Fist was widely panned. I myself didn't watch it as I couldn't give a monkeys about the character. 

I don't agree about JJ series 1 or 3 (I didn't watch 2) mainly as it wasn't my experience, I didn't find myself thinking the conversations were a waste of time. They let us get to know the characters a bit more and sometimes provided opportunities for the story to breathe a bit.

You had said "each netflix marvel series" and I thought you were referring to the ones in my post; The Punisher and Daredevil. Saying that these should have been shorter would have made them feel very rushed indeed.

E.T.A I also mentioned Luke Cage. I'll give you that, especially the first series.

Edited by velo army

2 minutes ago, velo army said:

Oh I'm not going to argue about Defenders. It's not great, and Iron Fist was widely panned. I myself didn't watch it as I couldn't give a monkeys about the character. 

I don't agree about JJ series 1 or 3 (I didn't watch 2) mainly as it wasn't my experience, I didn't find myself thinking the conversations were a waste of time. They let us get to know the characters a bit more and sometimes provided opportunities for the story to breathe a bit.

You had said "each netflix marvel series" and I thought you were referring to the ones in my post; The Punisher and Daredevil. Saying that these should have been shorter would have made them feel very rushed indeed.

E.T.A I also mentioned Luke Cage. I'll give you that, especially the first series.

I made a bit of a generalisation.

Daredevil Season 1 was amazing - completely blew me away. "The" (corridor) season 1 fight scene alone would have made me happy with the whole first season if it was the only thing I liked. But it was also well written with the characters all very well rounded and not a cliche in sight. I think as the seasons went on, Kingpin's relationship became a little disproportionately consuming and I felt the show was unbalanced as a result of that - I think that was where I considered the padding to mainly be. But any scene with Matt/Daredevil, Foggy and Karen stood up. At the same time I have always loved The Punisher - early Rucka stuff, and even the screen intentions with Dolph, Ray "I'd like to get my hands on God" Stevenson, and Jane - and therefore I was already bought in to the cross-over and then his own show. I do agree with you that if they had made 4-5 episodes it would have appeared rushed but I did think there were too many monologues across the two Punisher seasons.

You can look at it both ways - have something perfect such as Firefly and forever wish for more episodes - and then at the same time get more episodes of something you love and then bitch ( as I am doing) that it wasn't tight enough. The gripes of the sad fanboys.......

Charlie Cox in No Way Home.......am expecting some big things on the DD front but at same time bracing myself for disappointment......

35 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

I made a bit of a generalisation.

Daredevil Season 1 was amazing - completely blew me away. "The" (corridor) season 1 fight scene alone would have made me happy with the whole first season if it was the only thing I liked. But it was also well written with the characters all very well rounded and not a cliche in sight. I think as the seasons went on, Kingpin's relationship became a little disproportionately consuming and I felt the show was unbalanced as a result of that - I think that was where I considered the padding to mainly be. But any scene with Matt/Daredevil, Foggy and Karen stood up. At the same time I have always loved The Punisher - early Rucka stuff, and even the screen intentions with Dolph, Ray "I'd like to get my hands on God" Stevenson, and Jane - and therefore I was already bought in to the cross-over and then his own show. I do agree with you that if they had made 4-5 episodes it would have appeared rushed but I did think there were too many monologues across the two Punisher seasons.

You can look at it both ways - have something perfect such as Firefly and forever wish for more episodes - and then at the same time get more episodes of something you love and then bitch ( as I am doing) that it wasn't tight enough. The gripes of the sad fanboys.......

Charlie Cox in No Way Home.......am expecting some big things on the DD front but at same time bracing myself for disappointment......

I think this is a really good observation and I would agree with it. I can see the reason the writers included it, but I found it largely quite boring.

I confess to loving the monologues in the first punisher series though, I'd watch Bernthal reading the phone book tbf. Excellent actor.

The Kingpin story in season 2/3 was a touch dull. He was desperate to get his missus back and would do anything to achieve that. Fair enough but it dragged on so very much. 

I won't hear a word against Punisher. The simplicity of it was what got me. 

"What's the plan Frank?"

"Wait for them to show up and kill them all".

Bernthal was perfectly cast. 

Just finished the newest episodes of Ozark. Meh it was ok.

I only just found out that the car crash was a fast forward to something coming up. Think I turned the subtitles on after that scene as they were mumbling too much in the car. Oh well.

Some storylines don't quite work. The PI doesn't seem to be adding anything at all so far. Darlene outstayed her welcome as well.
Everything just feels a little forced. Hopefully the last 7 episodes are an improvement.

On 25/02/2022 at 16:12, scottsdad said:

The Kingpin story in season 2/3 was a touch dull. He was desperate to get his missus back and would do anything to achieve that. Fair enough but it dragged on so very much. 

I won't hear a word against Punisher. The simplicity of it was what got me. 

"What's the plan Frank?"

"Wait for them to show up and kill them all".

Bernthal was perfectly cast. 

Always said if they need a new wolverine then bernthal would be my choice, he just oozes rage and anger, even when he smiles (not often) it looks like a smile of absolute rage lol

Im gonna admit, i liked luke cage, i thought colter was good as cage, but i think the writing helped that as the series was quite good storywise, 

Iron fist struggled because, imo, the villains were fucking shite, as good as cox, ritter, etc were, they had an equal if not better villain to play off of, jones didnt, and while his portrayal of danny rand might not have been good, the flaws might have been overlooked had we cared about the bad guys and their reasons, but tbh the hand just wasn't as good as it should have been in iron fist

17 hours ago, charger29 said:

Just finished the newest episodes of Ozark. Meh it was ok.

Reveal hidden contents

I only just found out that the car crash was a fast forward to something coming up. Think I turned the subtitles on after that scene as they were mumbling too much in the car. Oh well.

Some storylines don't quite work. The PI doesn't seem to be adding anything at all so far. Darlene outstayed her welcome as well.
Everything just feels a little forced. Hopefully the last 7 episodes are an improvement.

I gave up on episode 3 of this latest series. It was just so poor.