Netflix

Biscuits

23 hours ago, Thorongil said:

Studiously avoiding Afterlife. Season 1 was enough for me. Worse than Derek and that’s saying something. 

What a fall from Gervais.

22 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Dreadful tele. No subtlety at all and a vehicle for people to tell Gervais what a wonderful person he is.

Tried a couple episodes of s3  It hasn't changed and would avoid. He loves the trope of inventing strawman he can have a go at to 'destroying' whatever is pissing him off on the given day.

1 hour ago, the jambo-rocker said:

Tried a couple episodes of s3  It hasn't changed and would avoid. He loves the trope of inventing strawman he can have a go at to 'destroying' whatever is pissing him off on the given day.

It’s sad that someone with the instinct and awareness to write the character arc for Andy Millman has, seemingly obliviously, followed that exact path in real life. 

I was a huge fan of his, but he has morphed into a creature of unrelenting ego. The Golden Globes stuff was just a series of lazy and easy attacks on low hanging fruit. 

Derek was an abomination, complete with tinkly sad piano music at the bits we were supposed to feel pathos. 

His podcasts on Sirius XM are awful. He absolutely sucks up disgustingly to guests like Jerry Seinfeld and treats his actual mates like dirt, particularly the wee guy Robin. 

I enjoyed Stephen Merchant’s barbs directed at Afterlife Season 2. Gervais was silent on that.

Edited by Thorongil

1 hour ago, Thorongil said:

I enjoyed Stephen Merchant’s barbs directed at Afterlife Season 2. Gervais was silent on that.

His comment was spot on. Every video montage reminds me of the bit off South Park with the teacher(Mr Adler) continuously stuck on his dead wife(I LUV U RICHARD) from a plane crash in the most egregious example of ripping the piss out of the bit 

Edited by the jambo-rocker

It’s sad that someone with the instinct and awareness to write the character arc for Andy Millman has, seemingly obliviously, followed that exact path in real life. 
I was a huge fan of his, but he has morphed into a creature of unrelenting ego. The Golden Globes stuff was just a series of lazy and easy attacks on low hanging fruit. 
Derek was an abomination, complete with tinkly sad piano music at the bits we were supposed to feel pathos. 
His podcasts on Sirius XM are awful. He absolutely sucks up disgustingly to guests like Jerry Seinfeld and treats his actual mates like dirt, particularly the wee guy Robin. 

I'm not sure how "easy" his attacks were at The Golden Globes. I can't recall ever seeing someone have such a go at the pampered Hollywood elite the way he did. If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

16 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm not sure how "easy" his attacks were at The Golden Globes. I can't recall ever seeing someone have such a go at the pampered Hollywood elite the way he did. If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

It was easy for him. 

On 16/01/2022 at 13:17, Clockwork said:

I’d read earlier posts on the series ‘Money Heist’ (La Casa De Papel) with intrigue, then it was recommended by a work colleague.
Just started last weekend, currently onto episode 11 of Series 1. Totally hooked.

Just finished it last night. It's really good but drags on a bit at times. Some great moments throughout though and some great characters

On 16/01/2022 at 11:39, NotThePars said:

Dreadful tele. No subtlety at all and a vehicle for people to tell Gervais what a wonderful person he is.

Exactly this. He's rounded up his mates (pretty much everyone in this has been in previous Gervais shows, even Keith from The Office has put in an appearance in Series 3) and this is just a vehicle for him to play his favourite songs, do more AIDS jokes and produce set piece scenarios so he can tell everyone he's an atheist and doesn't like particular things. Oh, and to get as many sweary words into a TV show as possible.

I found Money Heist uncomfortably leery, and that’s coming from someone who could have been a plumber in a 1970s British farce.

Yep there’s definitely that sort of vibe from some of the writers, but well executed by casting if its intentional?

Appears to be an unpopular opinion here but I like afterlife, Brian talking about his wife’s “odour” in episodes 3 and 4 was some of the funniest shit I have ever seen. In fits watching it again at 645 on a Sunday morning.