Netflix

Biscuits

For me Stay Close was stupid nonsense. A show that can be enjoyed if you can just switch off and don’t ask any questions as to how/why/what has happened. So many things conveniently falling into place. Right from the start I struggled to get past a woman who clearly had a rough past, decided to run away, change her name and start again, but only appear to move 20 minutes away.

By episode 6 of the 8 I was pretty bored with it.

On 11/01/2022 at 14:51, 19QOS19 said:

Stay Close

Decent 8 part Limited Series. Think it's ranked No. 1 in the UK the now. It's a whodunnit that keeps you on your toes and leads you down a few paths along the way.

It was Episode 5 when I made my prediction. There was a line spoken in a scene and it resulted in me placing this person top of the suspect list for me and they never budged after that as it all fit in perfectly. I was on the money and was quite pleased I got it relatively early on.

It's worth a watch and has good performances from the cast. 'Ken' and 'Barbie' are fantastically bizarre.

This show was absolute garbage from start to finish. Some of the Harlen Coben adaptations are really good. This was a catastrophe.

This show was absolute garbage from start to finish. Some of the Harlen Coben adaptations are really good. This was a catastrophe.

Another one who watched a garbage show from start to finish. Bizarre behaviour, man.

32 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

Agree with this. Watched it with the wife and it really was very poor. I renjoyed the other adaptations of Cobens stuff but this was nowhere near the same quality. Poorly acted, average script, zero tension and a laughable finale. 

46 minutes ago, Rugby Is Terrible said:

Agree with this. Watched it with the wife and it really was very poor. I renjoyed the other adaptations of Cobens stuff but this was nowhere near the same quality. Poorly acted, average script, zero tension and a laughable finale. 

Absolutely none of it felt like a remotely convincing world was created. Cliche after cliche, and it was so badly written it managed to make good actors look fucking hopeless. 
The characters were so unconvincing and one dimensional it was unreal. Richard Armitage’s character just summed that up. Laughable. 
Eddie Izzard looked totally bored as well. 

Series 3 of Undercover

Belgian/Dutch drug dealing and police undercover thriller. It’s gripping but two of the leads are funny and loveable (kingpin Ferry and his belle Daan). Ferry is disconcerting like prime Jimmy Calderwood in looks and mannerisms. 

I have been watching the second series of Cheer - one of those documentaries looking behind the scenes of a sports club - in this case it's the highly competitive world of college cheerleading.  I watched the first series and found it fascinating - the boys and girls are incredible athletes - probably a notch down from olympic gymansts but not much.  You get quite an insight into their backgrounds and the incredibly intense training regimes ahead of the big tournament at Daytona - where they do a 2min 45 sec routine where was fall, slip or wrong move can un-do a years work

It doesnt matter what sport you are watching but when you see the best and it is competitive I find it absolutely compelling.  Never ever thought I would watch a series on cheer leaders but dispense with images of lassies with pom-poms - this is more aligned with gymnastics as a team sport.  Watch the first series first (obviously)  I thought this was a very niche porogramme but in the second series I discover that the first series made most of the participants household names in the US....oh, and there is a quite shocking episode that is a bit of a tough watch.........

i would seriously recommend it

Watched Stay Close with the missus, was enjoyable enough fluff but ultimately a load of nonsense. Weird some people on here are getting upset at people persisting with it while not liking it! 

Moved onto they one about the missing girl and drowned lad after the teen party now. Being majorly taken out if it every time David Fisher/Dexter opens his mouth as he oscillates wildly between cheeky cockney chappy and Hugh Grant style toff, often within the same line. Unbearable! 

Edited by Christophe

Watched Stay Close with the missus, was enjoyable enough fluff but ultimately a load of nonsense. Weird some people on here are getting upset at people persisting with it while not liking it! 
Moved onto they one about the missing girl and drowned lad after the teen party now. Being majorly taken out if it every time David Fisher/Dexter opens his mouth as he oscillates wildly between cheeky cockney chappy and Hugh Grant style toff, often within the same line. Unbearable! 

I'd say it's more weird to persist with something you think is "garbage" right off the bat. I've started loads of TV Series's and not felt it after 2 or 3 episodes. I couldn't think of anything worse than sitting through an entire series that I disliked right from the beginning.

Problem I have with the Coben adaptations is they don't transfer into English settings. The social highlight of the year being Carnivale in an out of town pole-dancing club might be plausible in Florida but not in a rainy dump in the North of England.

Edited by Arabdownunder

Studiously avoiding Afterlife. Season 1 was enough for me. Worse than Derek and that’s saying something. 
What a fall from Gervais.

Dreadful tele. No subtlety at all and a vehicle for people to tell Gervais what a wonderful person he is.