Netflix

Biscuits

Literally the only thing that disappointed me as I said before..... The first game with the big robot and the fancy cameras etc... That was some future hell shit. I really wish the subsequent games were a bit more imaginatively horrifying than guys capping them with revolvers once a mistake was made. They had free reign here, and aside from the glass bridge, the games themselves were totally underwhelming. 

SPOILERS

I think the games were supposed to be just that though? They were all childhood games which gave them a real chance of survival - though I can't for the life of me think what childhood game the bridge was [emoji38]

I can understand that criticism but for me I thought the show was more focussed on the moral/decision side of the games rather than using them just for the gore.

Marbles was arguably the most boring game aside from the squid game but it was a fantastic episode (probably the best one for me tbh) and showed our protagonist having to make some very big decisions about whether he wanted to live or die. The game itself didn't really matter but it never took anything away from the episode.

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

SPOILERS

I think the games were supposed to be just that though? They were all childhood games which gave them a real chance of survival - though I can't for the life of me think what childhood game the bridge was emoji38.png

I can understand that criticism but for me I thought the show was more focussed on the moral/decision side of the games rather than using them just for the gore.

Marbles was arguably the most boring game aside from the squid game but it was a fantastic episode (probably the best one for me tbh) and showed our protagonist having to make some very big decisions about whether he wanted to live or die. The game itself didn't really matter but it never took anything away from the episode.

It sounds like i'm criticising but really i'm just splitting hairs as I thought it was a fantastic watch. Really enjoyed it, just thought the games could have been more.... Imaginative for want of a better word. I don't think the storyline would have suffered from a little more razzle dazzle.......

15 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

They were all childhood games which gave them a real chance of survival - though I can't for the life of me think what childhood game the bridge was emoji38.png

They call it stepping stones in Korea and we know it as Hopscotch.  

I though it was excellent and I'm one of those neanderthals who usually hate anything in foreign languages. The last game was a wee bit weak but they had to finish with the squid game so they had little to play with.  The overall ending, game apart, was pretty good I thought in that it tried to tie a few loose ends together and left the option of having a follow-up or not completely open.  

There was a huge clue early on as to the real identity of player 001 - when the policeman was looking through the player profile book it started at player 002.  

Dave Chapelle's new special on Netflix is tremendous; highly recommend. 
Going to give Chapelle a watch tonight

The guys cracks me up but I didn't think that was his best comedy wise. It certainly wrapped everything up nicely.

Without spoilers, I thought the ending was both shocking and very sad. Ironic that these overly aggressive folk in that minority are so angry that they even turn on one of their own which arguably played a part in causing the poor woman to make the decision she did. Absolute worstcunts.

On 08/10/2021 at 11:13, Bairnardo said:

It sounds like i'm criticising but really i'm just splitting hairs as I thought it was a fantastic watch. Really enjoyed it, just thought the games could have been more.... Imaginative for want of a better word. I don't think the storyline would have suffered from a little more razzle dazzle.......

Hi. I would agree with your thought. I just really enjoyed the whole series and even don't want to criticize. I am one of those who wants to forget it and watch again. 

The guys cracks me up but I didn't think that was his best comedy wise. It certainly wrapped everything up nicely.

Without spoilers, I thought the ending was both shocking and very sad. Ironic that these overly aggressive folk in that minority are so angry that they even turn on one of their own which arguably played a part in causing the poor woman to make the decision she did. Absolute worstcunts.

Yeah, possibly not the best comedy wise but for sheer spoken truth I thought it was up there. The Daphne story is heart wrenching.

Yeah, possibly not the best comedy wise but for sheer spoken truth I thought it was up there. The Daphne story is heart wrenching.

Definitely. If you can be bothered, go to about 55 minutes in when he's joking about trans folk and there are two fat women near the front with their faces absolutely tripping them while the crowd are going wild. Clearly two of the folk who he was referencing in regards to Twitter. Two things popped into my head watching them; have you just got a ticket to his show by chance and have no idea what kind of comedy he does? And, it must be awful not to have a sense of humour.

I'll say another thing about him that I noticed, particularly in this special. He doesn't half have a crowd hanging on his every word. I don't watch too many American comedians as they are so OTT and I feel like they never shut the f**k up. There's too much standing up and shouting for my liking. But he had some pretty long pauses in that show and there wasn't a peep. Pretty impressive stuff.

WIll this put it on demand for a bit?

It’ll definitely be on catch up for a while!!!
Just found out that the sequel, Peninsula is available on Amazon, that’ll be getting watched next!!!

12 hours ago, King Kebab said:

It’ll definitely be on catch up for a while!!!
Just found out that the sequel, Peninsula is available on Amazon, that’ll be getting watched next!!!

Its definitely worth a watch but it's nowhere near as good as Busan. Tends to go down the route of more generic Zombie film. Still enjoyable though!

I finished Squid Games yesterday. Still didnt think it was anything more than "meh". I couldnt believe it was Netflix highest streaming debut, until I read this on the BBC site

"It's not something that's been done before," the 26-year-old from Sheffield tells Radio 1 Newsbeat.

"With other shows, you can guess what's going to happen whereas this one is more 'wow' - a shock that you weren't expecting."

Now, I get it.

Also just finished Squid game. I'm slightly surprised it's became so popular as well tbh.

There was definitely a lot of potential in the show but i don't think it was anywhere near perfect. I don't think it ended very well for a start, plus the side stories seemed a bit forced (the policeman just happens to be the brother of the front man, old man just happens to die within minutes of being visited by Seong Gi-*** 12 months later etc.).

#1, they needed more games. It felt like they were a couple short at least. Some violent form or tig or blind man's buff would make sense (presumably a game like the latter is common in Korea).

Plot holes:

• The policeman steals the square helmet (can now be a circle or square) in episode 3/4 and the the front man says, "I'll need to talk to you about your forgetfulness" but this isn't brought up again as far as I remember. He still wears the #29 circle mask and still sleeps in the same room but they don't bring up #29 again until they see he's missing from the room several episodes later. Nobody notices that the square guy has magically appeared again after being killed either.

• They obviously intended to keep the old man alive as they pretended to shoot him at the end of the marbles game (presumably his orders). Were they not taking a big risk by giving him a shitty hand in tug of war or by leaving him basically alone to deal with the night-time violence?

• Why don't they have camera's in the bathrooms? It's fine to have a sport for brutally murdering humans and have dozens of people watching them with cameras from a control centre but they need privacy in the bathroom apparently.

Edit: just googled it and seen a few bigger plot holes:

• Hundreds of people are going missing every year without a trace but the police don't seem to care.
  • Seong Gi-*** doesn't seem to have any issues with loan sharks after leaving despite not spending any money.

Edited by charger29

15 hours ago, charger29 said:

Also just finished Squid game. I'm slightly surprised it's became so popular as well tbh.

Hide contents

There was definitely a lot of potential in the show but i don't think it was anywhere near perfect. I don't think it ended very well for a start, plus the side stories seemed a bit forced (the policeman just happens to be the brother of the front man, old man just happens to die within minutes of being visited by Seong Gi-*** 12 months later etc.).

#1, they needed more games. It felt like they were a couple short at least. Some violent form or tig or blind man's buff would make sense (presumably a game like the latter is common in Korea).

Plot holes:

• The policeman steals the square helmet (can now be a circle or square) in episode 3/4 and the the front man says, "I'll need to talk to you about your forgetfulness" but this isn't brought up again as far as I remember. He still wears the #29 circle mask and still sleeps in the same room but they don't bring up #29 again until they see he's missing from the room several episodes later. Nobody notices that the square guy has magically appeared again after being killed either.

• They obviously intended to keep the old man alive as they pretended to shoot him at the end of the marbles game (presumably his orders). Were they not taking a big risk by giving him a shitty hand in tug of war or by leaving him basically alone to deal with the night-time violence?

• Why don't they have camera's in the bathrooms? It's fine to have a sport for brutally murdering humans and have dozens of people watching them with cameras from a control centre but they need privacy in the bathroom apparently.

Edit: just googled it and seen a few bigger plot holes:

• Hundreds of people are going missing every year without a trace but the police don't seem to care.
  • Seong Gi-*** doesn't seem to have any issues with loan sharks after leaving despite not spending any money.

I think there's the idea that he was some what protected during the night time violence. It was always a little strange how he was missing, only to magically appear at the top of the bunk beds on the first night.

As for playing the games. He could of died during Red Light, Green Light. He seemed to start honestly wanting to play the game since he was a dead man walking anyway. Can't remember how he fared in the honeycomb game but he knew that one was coming and was probably confident of doing any of the shapes even the umbrella. By the time picking partners for what would be marbles would I think he was a little checked out. Since most of the real games of chance were done.

On the loan sharks front.  It's one thing threatening someone that finds money at a track. It's another if they're basically on the streets. Not touching the secret winnings, his mum passing leaving him without her support, and his overall defeatist attitude he was basically living as a tramp after the game finished.

39 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Reveal hidden contents

I think there's the idea that he was some what protected during the night time violence. It was always a little strange how he was missing, only to magically appear at the top of the bunk beds on the first night.

As for playing the games. He could of died during Red Light, Green Light. He seemed to start honestly wanting to play the game since he was a dead man walking anyway. Can't remember how he fared in the honeycomb game but he knew that one was coming and was probably confident of doing any of the shapes even the umbrella. By the time picking partners for what would be marbles would I think he was a little checked out. Since most of the real games of chance were done.

On the loan sharks front.  It's one thing threatening someone that finds money at a track. It's another if they're basically on the streets. Not touching the secret winnings, his mum passing leaving him without her support, and his overall defeatist attitude he was basically living as a tramp after the game finished.

He signed the "agreement" in the first episode to sell one of his kidneys if he couldn't pay the debt though. Surely they'd still be wanting his organs even if he was homeless and without a penny?

13 minutes ago, charger29 said:

Reveal hidden contents

He signed the "agreement" in the first episode to sell one of his kidneys if he couldn't pay the debt though. Surely they'd still be wanting his organs even if he was homeless and without a penny?

That reminds me. The Squid Game people knew about that agreement. As it would be one of the ways they could fine candidates every year. Presumably they had contacts in the underworld, if not have a controlling interest in it. So maybe they bought those rights off the loan sharks or controlled them.

This is my own bug bear, but technically fits in with the character.

During the final Squid Game. Sang-woo says something along the lines of the two of them being the last alive that played Red Light, Green Light. Except after that game some people left following the vote and never come back. Basically, Sang-woo's a dick

:) [/ spoiler]