Netflix

Biscuits

18 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

No, it isn’t.

I think you need to develop some patience. There is so much media out there that it is very much a YP if you can't wait more than a year for a season to drop.

I think a good chunk of the Witcher taking two years was down to Covid. They shut down for quite a while for the first lockdown and I think a number of cast/crew tested positive when they came back as well as I think Cavill injured himself on set which stopped filming for a while too.

Edited by Rodhull

4 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I think you need to develop some patience. There is so much media out there that it is very much a YP if you can't wait more than a year for a season to drop.

The normal timescale is 1 year, isn’t it?

3 hours ago, Rodhull said:

I think a good chunk of the Witcher taking two years was down to Covid. They shut down for quite a while for the first lockdown and I think a number of cast/crew tested positive when they came back as well as I think Cavill injured himself on set which stopped filming for a while too.

That’s fair enough then. 

Elize Matsunaga

Yet another Netflix series that could have been done in one extended  episode. The actual story of the murder was interesting but there was too much filler about the Brazilian legal and jail system and domestic abuse in general.  Plus there was too much waffling about the case with different talking heads repeating the same stuff over and over.

On 10/07/2021 at 12:08, Mordecai said:

I watched this and felt it was trying to lead you one way (rather than focus on how incompetent the police were). I then watched the Jim Sheridan documentary on it (Murder at the Cottage), which was much more comprehensive and balanced. Reading about it Ian Bailey never actually agreed to be part of the Netflix documentary, he just said he'd participate in a trailer. He's obviously a strange guy and an arsehole to boot, but the documentary leaves out a lot of important details.

Saw the Sheridan series last night and it is head and shoulders above the Netflix effort. The police investigation was a calamity from day one.

Top Boy

Don’t think the first episode is as strong as the rest so worth sticking with it. The almost total absence of police is a bit of a contrivance but the acting in it is fantastic. Sometimes the dialogue gets clunky but at other times it’s so natural and some of the best stuff is the girls teasing each other about boyfriends etc. The little moments of relief between all the stabby, shooty bits. Gutted I have to work today as I’ve two episodes of season 1 left. 

About time. 2 years between seasons is ridiculous and we are now over 2 years since Stranger Things. 

Netflix badly needs to pull its finger out. Some of its cancellation decisions as well are very poor.
No, it isn’t.
Have you been sleeping under a rock for the last two years? [emoji38]

On 13/07/2021 at 10:50, Shandon Par said:

Top Boy

Don’t think the first episode is as strong as the rest so worth sticking with it. The almost total absence of police is a bit of a contrivance but the acting in it is fantastic. Sometimes the dialogue gets clunky but at other times it’s so natural and some of the best stuff is the girls teasing each other about boyfriends etc. The little moments of relief between all the stabby, shooty bits. Gutted I have to work today as I’ve two episodes of season 1 left. 

You watching the most recent one or the summer house one? 

If it's the first one you're watching then you should recognise my Avatar, best performence on the show imo. 

1 hour ago, SANTAN said:

You watching the most recent one or the summer house one? 

If it's the first one you're watching then you should recognise my Avatar, best performence on the show imo. 

Love Modi. What a scary mad bassa. Yes, just watching the first one. Never really laid it much attention when it was first on channel 4 but I’ve  got more time to watch tv these days. Soundtrack is so good too. 

ETA.. I live around Hackney and Bow for a few years so it’s a wee nostalgia trip too. 

Edited by Shandon Par

22 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Love Modi. What a scary mad bassa. Yes, just watching the first one. Never really laid it much attention when it was first on channel 4 but I’ve  got more time to watch tv these days. Soundtrack is so good too. 

ETA.. I live around Hackney and Bow for a few years so it’s a wee nostalgia trip too. 

Aye Modi is brilliant, one of my favourite rappers too, mental to see him being so class at acting. 

The "Summerhouse" series was the one on C4 years ago, this newer one is solely on Netflix and was funnily enough brought back by Drake because he loved the TV show and nobody was making any more of it so he stepped in to fund it. If you've not seen it now it's not really worth going back for but there's a lot of cool points like Drizz was basically the youngster on the block in that series. Sully took his cousin hostage (which I think they speak about) and it really shows the relationship between him and Jason, basically started looking after Jason as a kid as his mum was a no hope crackhead. 

Pretty sure they're filming season 2 so that should be class. 

On 04/07/2021 at 16:17, Craig the Hunter said:

Just watched Sophie: A Murder in West Cork. What a wild story.

An absolute wrongun. The only conclusion I can come to is he discovered something in his days investigating GCHQ which bought him some sort of protection or he was a spook all along 

On 03/04/2021 at 21:05, Savage Henry said:

Sherpa.   It’s about Sherpas.  That’s all you need to know.  The New Zealand climbers come across as insufferable dickheads. 

Watched this last night and would second this recommendation. Very interesting. So awkward watching the tour guide basically blame the locals for threatening each other when no local seems concerned. 

8.5/10

Atypical is just the best. The perfect blend of humour, intelligence and poignancy. A number of difficult subjects throughout the four series that were dealt with delicately, sweetly and wryly without ever being maudlin or cliche. Comfortably one of the best programmes of the last decade IMO, and a perfect ending. A joy.

Watched The Dawn Wall the other  night. For someone that knew nothing about that stuff it was mad interesting. c***s living 12 days or so on the side of a cliff.

The main guy that it followed seemed a really nice guy, the way he lost a finger yet still managed to do things people with all their fingers would struggle with was pretty inspiring.