Netflix

Biscuits

What did you think? 
Thought it was excellent, albeit a bit daft in places. Good mix of goodies who might be baddies and vice versa. But then I'm a sucker for a Heist film/show. Loved Oceans 11 and 13 (not 12, obviously), Hustle, Inside Man, The Sting etc. Thought there was maybe a thread on this somewhere but couldn't see it so it might just have been mentioned a lot on here when it made the breakthrough internationally. Bella Ciao, Bella Ciao, Bella Ciao Ciao Ciao!

35 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
8 hours ago, velo army said:
What did you think? 

Thought it was excellent, albeit a bit daft in places. Good mix of goodies who might be baddies and vice versa. But then I'm a sucker for a Heist film/show. Loved Oceans 11 and 13 (not 12, obviously), Hustle, Inside Man, The Sting etc. Thought there was maybe a thread on this somewhere but couldn't see it so it might just have been mentioned a lot on here when it made the breakthrough internationally. Bella Ciao, Bella Ciao, Bella Ciao Ciao Ciao!

And that's the song now stuck in my head again 🤣. Great show, has been a while since I've seen it. Might need to rewatch season 4 in preparation for season 5.

I'm also a big fan of heist films, even if I do think money heist is a pish name(I wonder how many people wouldn't have given it a second look if the title was just an English translation of the Spanish title, House of paper")

Also, did you notice Neymar making a cameo in it? Totally missed it at the time 😂

53 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
8 hours ago, velo army said:
What did you think? 

Goran Bregovic does a cracking version of this song. It's my party piece these days. Wonderful stuff.

Aye I enjoyed it too, but I kinda wish they'd stopped after the first heist. The reason for going back a second time is pretty weak and is clearly just to satisfy fan demand. Now it's just violent, and gratuitously so, I think. It's good to see the characters again, and Alicia Sierra is insanely attractive, but I think they could have let it lie. 

In saying that, I'm still keen to see how they finish it all off.

E.T.A: Inside Man is one of my favourite films. Denzel is great as is Clive Owen, but Jodie Foster steals the movie.

Also, if you love heists, I can't recommend "The Sacred Art of Stealing" by Christopher Brookmyre enough. A clever and subversive heist, witty writing and wonderfully engaging characters (also some decent fitba references). 

Edited by velo army

On 05/04/2021 at 13:13, NotThePars said:

Lost had some great moments in it but it's held up as the worst case of hubristic mystery box writing for a reason. I'm not necessarily against someone not having the answers to their initial premises when they start writing but that show still hadn't worked out where it was going after it concluded.

Game of Thrones is great for 4 seasons then it's fine for 2, then it's eh for one and then it's horrific for the final season. It was really funny watching people coming to terms with how much Benioff and Weiss were unqualified to wrap that story up and how much they had mentally tuned out by the last 6 episodes in anticipation of other projects which I think they had taken away from them. What's even funnier tho is you can clearly see George R. R. Martin took one long at what they served up and realised he just couldn't be arsed tying it up either so now he's doing shit like world-building for Fromsoft games.

It's absolutely mental how absolutely they killed Game of Thrones. Imagine trying to explain to someone in 20 years just how big Game of Thrones was. It was everywhere and it was one of the most talked about shows ever. Folk were getting tattoos of the houses, folk were calling their kids and pets Khaleesi and Danaerys and Arya and Sansa etc. People were kicking about with GoT t-shirts and hoodies. They had GoT posters in their houses/rooms. You saw all other sorts of merchandise for it in all sorts of shops (even Asda had some of their shit). It was a massive money maker too. 

Then the final season happened and just annihilated all of that. It's a cultural phenomenon just how quickly and totally interest in it died. Folk don't want to ever watch it again because they know how it's now pointless. 

People still rewatch Star Wars, Lord of The Rings, Harry Potter and similar things and they all grew their 'universe' and continue (mostly) to do so, raking in piles of cash every year. GoT could have made millions every year for many, many years to come. They could have kept punting merchandise, could be getting paid to have the show on another streaming platform, could be getting spin off shows and so on. 

Instead, it will be ignored save as a warning to other shows.

(1.) And that's the song now stuck in my head again [emoji1787]. Great show, has been a while since I've seen it. Might need to rewatch season 4 in preparation for season 5.
I'm also a big fan of heist films, even if I do think (2.) money heist is a pish name(I wonder how many people wouldn't have given it a second look if the title was just an English translation of the Spanish title, House of paper")
(3.) Also, did you notice Neymar making a cameo in it? Totally missed it at the time [emoji23]

1. Sorry man!
2. Agreed. Have been thinking about what it could be called instead though and couldn't come up with something. Probably the reason why I'm not an author or screenwriter!
3. I did actually, but even stranger is that the missus - who has no interest in football - did too. Think she read his autobiography or something. I'm generally not a fan of gratuitous celebrity cameos but it was reasonably well done I thought.

Goran Bregovic does a cracking version of this song. It's my party piece these days. Wonderful stuff.
(4.) Aye I enjoyed it too, but I kinda wish they'd stopped after the first heist. The reason for going back a second time is pretty weak and is clearly just to satisfy fan demand. Now it's just violent, and gratuitously so, I think. It's good to see the characters again, and Alicia Sierra is insanely attractive, but I think they could have let it lie. 
(5.) E.T.A: Inside Man is one of my favourite films. Denzel is great as is Clive Owen, but Jodie Foster steals the movie.
Also, if you love heists, I can't recommend "The Sacred Art of Stealing" by Christopher Brookmyre enough. A clever and subversive heist, witty writing and wonderfully engaging characters (also some decent fitba references). 

4. Yeah, it was a perfect little story (the only improvements I'd have made would be for Arturo to get his comeuppance and to see those hostages who helped them get their money - especially the old printer who Arturo belittled and said that Nairobi was the best boss he'd ever had!) and the introduction of Gandia was a bit unnecessary when they already had Alicia as the crazy baddie.

5. It is good. The moment when the penny drops and you're like "Ah, right, Inside Man!" is perfect.

It's absolutely mental how absolutely they killed Game of Thrones. Imagine trying to explain to someone in 20 years just how big Game of Thrones was. It was everywhere and it was one of the most talked about shows ever. Folk were getting tattoos of the houses, folk were calling their kids and pets Khaleesi and Danaerys and Arya and Sansa etc. People were kicking about with GoT t-shirts and hoodies. They had GoT posters in their houses/rooms. You saw all other sorts of merchandise for it in all sorts of shops (even Asda had some of their shit). It was a massive money maker too. 
Then the final season happened and just annihilated all of that. It's a cultural phenomenon just how quickly and totally interest in it died. Folk don't want to ever watch it again because they know how it's now pointless. 
People still rewatch Star Wars, Lord of The Rings, Harry Potter and similar things and they all grew their 'universe' and continue (mostly) to do so, raking in piles of cash every year. GoT could have made millions every year for many, many years to come. They could have kept punting merchandise, could be getting paid to have the show on another streaming platform, could be getting spin off shows and so on. 
Instead, it will be ignored save as a warning to other shows.
Aye its really quite staggering how brutal its fall from grace was. The final season was the biggest, most talked about event of the year and in television history. The show up until then is some of the best TV or cinema that there's ever been. It was almost peerless how good it was. I watched it all 3 times up until the last two seasons and would have watched it all again and again if it hadn't shat the bed. I'm now sure if never watch another episode. Even the precious seasons are now tainted.

13 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

1. Sorry man!
2. Agreed. Have been thinking about what it could be called instead though and couldn't come up with something. Probably the reason why I'm not an author or screenwriter!
3. I did actually, but even stranger is that the missus - who has no interest in football - did too. Think she read his autobiography or something. I'm generally not a fan of gratuitous celebrity cameos but it was reasonably well done I thought.

4. Yeah, it was a perfect little story (the only improvements I'd have made would be for Arturo to get his comeuppance and to see those hostages who helped them get their money - especially the old printer who Arturo belittled and said that Nairobi was the best boss he'd ever had!) and the introduction of Gandia was a bit unnecessary when they already had Alicia as the crazy baddie.

5. It is good. The moment when the penny drops and you're like "Ah, right, Inside Man!" is perfect.

3. Turns out Neymar is a big fan of the show. Apparently when the episode originally aired, his scene wasn't included as he was involved in a court case(once he was cleared, they then added in the scene. So it explains why I missed it the first time)

Aye I enjoyed it too, but I kinda wish they'd stopped after the first heist. The reason for going back a second time is pretty weak and is clearly just to satisfy fan demand. Now it's just violent, and gratuitously so, I think. It's good to see the characters again, and Alicia Sierra is insanely attractive, but I think they could have let it lie. 
E.T.A: Inside Man is one of my favourite films. Denzel is great as is Clive Owen, but Jodie Foster steals the movie.
..and SAHB references..

Seaspiracy.

Fucking hell. I really had no idea things were so bad. We really are a destructive and disgusting species.

I was always skeptical those 'Dolphin Friendly' stickers were a lot of shite but to the level they are was just depressingly frightening. One of the head guys saying "well we can't guarantee it'll be dolphin friendly" was just unreal.

The biggest eye opener/shock for me was that the biggest threat to the ocean is fishing nets and our plastic consumption doesn't come close to the problems they cause yet not one big organisation addresses it. Corrupt to the core.

Worth a watch but I have to admit I feel extremely deflated after viewing.

14 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Seaspiracy.

Fucking hell. I really had no idea things were so bad. We really are a destructive and disgusting species.

I was always skeptical those 'Dolphin Friendly' stickers were a lot of shite but to the level they are was just depressingly frightening. One of the head guys saying "well we can't guarantee it'll be dolphin friendly" was just unreal.

The biggest eye opener/shock for me was that the biggest threat to the ocean is fishing nets and our plastic consumption doesn't come close to the problems they cause yet not one big organisation addresses it. Corrupt to the core.

Worth a watch but I have to admit I feel extremely deflated after viewing.

I must admit I put off watching this till Sunday as I had made a paella on Saturday and knew it make me chuck it in the bin if I watched it beforehand. 

That fella you mention in regard to the Dolphin Friendly sticker was a very odd character. Part of me felt like he was basically dobbing them in and saying "yeah you're right, it is completely fucked" but then he started chuckling away and it was clear he couldn't give two fucks. 

I have eaten whale in Iceland before, and it wasn't anything special. That footage of the killings in the Faroe Islands was grim, enough for me to skip it on a bit. I could see where the bloke was coming from when he compared it to chickens/cows/pigs whatever. I definitely think if you are a meat eater, you should be under no illusions as to how it arrives on your plate.

I was about in tears watching that from the Faroes and feel utterly sick thinking about it again. Made a promise to myself a year or two ago to really cut down my meat and fish consumption as I didn't want any of this on my conscience. Haven't eaten fish in a long time and possibly won't ever again.

I must admit I put off watching this till Sunday as I had made a paella on Saturday and knew it make me chuck it in the bin if I watched it beforehand. 
That fella you mention in regard to the Dolphin Friendly sticker was a very odd character. Part of me felt like he was basically dobbing them in and saying "yeah you're right, it is completely fucked" but then he started chuckling away and it was clear he couldn't give two fucks. 
I have eaten whale in Iceland before, and it wasn't anything special. That footage of the killings in the Faroe Islands was grim, enough for me to skip it on a bit. I could see where the bloke was coming from when he compared it to chickens/cows/pigs whatever. I definitely think if you are a meat eater, you should be under no illusions as to how it arrives on your plate.

I get it a bit what he was saying but it feels different for me rather than contradictory. My own justification is we farm animals specifically for consumption. Going into the ocean and slaughtering these creatures (whales) just feels different somehow.

The Japanese slaughtering the dolphins purely for the sake of it was genuinely depressing. We are such a greedy species.

The only fish I have is tuna and the odd fish supper but I think I'm done. I won't be preachy about it but I've seen enough to make me question the morality of it. I don't buy eggs from caged chickens either for the same reason. I've watched things on abattoirs before and though not nice to see animals dying I've felt comfortable with the way it's done. I have a really bad feeling after watching Cowspiracy later tonight that I may be considering a vegetarian diet...

Finished the Swedish HBO show Beartown (Bjornstad) at the weekend, good watch, not sure if it's streaming anywhere in the UK. I'm now looking for any other good Nordic shows to watch, any recommendations? Bordertown any good? Quicksand?

48 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I get it a bit what he was saying but it feels different for me rather than contradictory. My own justification is we farm animals specifically for consumption. Going into the ocean and slaughtering these creatures (whales) just feels different somehow.

Yeah I can understand that, I guess the counterpoint is why are these animals farmed for consumption? Is that fair? 

I've toyed with going vegetarian for a while, I think I will give it a go. I often find after eating meat that I get really bloated, and generally feel a bit ropey. 

Anyway veering off subject, it was a very insightful watch! 

Yeah I can understand that, I guess the counterpoint is why are these animals farmed for consumption? Is that fair? 
I've toyed with going vegetarian for a while, I think I will give it a go. I often find after eating meat that I get really bloated, and generally feel a bit ropey. 
Anyway veering off subject, it was a very insightful watch! 
The answer is 'No, it isn't fair'. But I don't feel guilty as they're bred for that purpose. I know it's mental logic but that's my thinking.

I've thought about going vegi as well but I really do love meat (ooh er) and any replacement I've had has tasted awful. I think folk are so wanting meat substitutes to taste good that they kid themselves on that shite taste nice. I hardly eat any veg as it is so giving up meat the now would probably result in death for me.
Seaspiricy - 2/10. Load of shite.
In what way? The way it's been filmed or you don't believe what you've watched?

Finished the Swedish HBO show Beartown (Bjornstad) at the weekend, good watch, not sure if it's streaming anywhere in the UK. I'm now looking for any other good Nordic shows to watch, any recommendations? Bordertown any good? Quicksand?
Quicksand was alright, yet another program where I disliked almost every character though. Red Dot is Swedish, but it's a lot of pish.

If you go with Bordertown let me know what it's like. I have that on my list. I got a few episodes into The Rain which was decent. Need to get back to it though.