Netflix

Biscuits

Seaspiracy.   Zzzzz.   I’m sure there’s an important point to be made in there, but it was lost in the self-important narration and sanctimonious preaching.   Always nice to have something else to fling at Peterhead Tories though.

Seaspiracy.   Zzzzz.   I’m sure there’s an important point to be made in there, but it was lost in the self-important narration and sanctimonious preaching.   Always nice to have something else to fling at Peterhead Tories though.
Really that's your take away? That the guy came across a bit preachy? This is as serious an issue as it gets.

32 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Really that's your take away? That the guy came across a bit preachy? This is as serious an issue as it gets.

Precisely my point.  There was absolutely no need to make it a first person documentary with long lingering shots of him looking sad in his car. 

Has anyone watched Midnight Diner? 
It's not a typical Netflix show as it's gentle and low on drama i.e. not binge-fest material, but it is something different and I find it quirky and charming.

Aye. Few episodes in and have enjoyed it. Quirky is the right word. Enjoyable wee stories each episode and I love watching the food being prepared.

I actually tried the butter rice after watching it being made and it's surprisingly delicious.

19 hours ago, Sixtyten said:

Has anyone watched Midnight Diner? 

It's not a typical Netflix show as it's gentle and low on drama i.e. not binge-fest material, but it is something different and I find it quirky and charming.

Big fan of it.  It’s not exactly life changing, and some of the acting is flat out awful (Gen) but it’s strangely compelling.  

Just finished watching the 2nd series of Snowpiercer and I absolutely loved it. Epic telly.

I've tended to avoid dystopian stuff lately due to the negative impact (not major, but noticeable) on my mood, but this show is driven ostensibly by hope. 

I noticed too how it manages to have women in positions of power and authority without ever needing to reduce the power and agency of the male characters. The characters of Bess and Melanie are engaging and real. Melanie as the antagonist in the first series is one of the most complex, conflicting and interesting antagonists I've ever seen. I genuinely found myself partially rooting for her. The characters are just so damned well written and the whole story is just well done. There was a real opportunity to make this a commentary on class divisions and how demagogues flourish amid desperation. They managed to do that without hitting you over the head with it and just getting on with telling a story, allowing the audience to make up their minds. 

It's a diverse group of characters whose diversity doesn't feel forced (unlike, for example, The Witcher) and whose diversity is never really mentioned. It's a society where a black man can become a leader by dint of his charisma and competence (and compassion, to complete the alliteration) and that a woman can become the head engineer by being obviously brilliant. The casting is absolutely spot on (the lassie playing LJ is utterly mesmerising and genuinely unsettling) and the pacing of the storytelling is also.

Get it watched.

42 minutes ago, velo army said:

Just finished watching the 2nd series of Snowpiercer and I absolutely loved it. Epic telly.

I've tended to avoid dystopian stuff lately due to the negative impact (not major, but noticeable) on my mood, but this show is driven ostensibly by hope. 

I noticed too how it manages to have women in positions of power and authority without ever needing to reduce the power and agency of the male characters. The characters of Bess and Melanie are engaging and real. Melanie as the antagonist in the first series is one of the most complex, conflicting and interesting antagonists I've ever seen. I genuinely found myself partially rooting for her. The characters are just so damned well written and the whole story is just well done. There was a real opportunity to make this a commentary on class divisions and how demagogues flourish amid desperation. They managed to do that without hitting you over the head with it and just getting on with telling a story, allowing the audience to make up their minds. 

It's a diverse group of characters whose diversity doesn't feel forced (unlike, for example, The Witcher) and whose diversity is never really mentioned. It's a society where a black man can become a leader by dint of his charisma and competence (and compassion, to complete the alliteration) and that a woman can become the head engineer by being obviously brilliant. The casting is absolutely spot on (the lassie playing LJ is utterly mesmerising and genuinely unsettling) and the pacing of the storytelling is also.

Get it watched.

Second this. Its a good story, not forced, well paced and always interesting. Doesn't seem to be showing too many signs of shark jumping which this type of show often does. Sean Bean is a tremendous b*****d in it too. Absolute fanny of a man!!!

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Second this. Its a good story, not forced, well paced and always interesting. Doesn't seem to be showing too many signs of shark jumping which this type of show often does. Sean Bean is a tremendous b*****d in it too. Absolute fanny of a man!!!

He does so well as a psychopath in it, and the script does a great job of showing the strengths of being a psychopath in crisis leadership; he takes decisions that ultimately are beneficial, but wouldn't be thought of by one capable of empathy. He's a powerful and formidable adversary whose genius is clear to see; he's often a step ahead. I like that as it gives the protagonists something to overcome and has us invested in their journey.

And aye, the lack of shark jumping is great. There's no sci-fi nonsense that insults the intelligence. Everything is explained succinctly which helps us trust in the world being built. 

I'm looking forward to the next series tbh. They're filming it at the moment, so it could be a year away. 

Continuing my theme of watching things very late but I just watched Blackfish. 

As someone who's biggest fear is really deep water that was horrible to watch but I'm still team Whale. I wonder if they've caught any bodies since the changes were put in place. 

22 hours ago, velo army said:

Get it watched.

I need to finish. I have enjoyed it. It's had a couple of eye-roll moments but not in a bad way. I did laugh and groan when he immediately said he wanted to name his wean "Trotsky." 

Thought the actress that plays Melanie's daughter to be one of the underrated actors on the show. She's been great and is very emotive and unpredictable. Also bounces off Sean Bean really well.

Not sure how I feel about the slavish hold Bean seems to have over his own staff from the first couple of episodes found that a bit irritating but the way he obviously exerts a hold over certain sections of Snowpiercer because of what he can offer them is great. Far prefer characters who are motivated by their own personal stakes and investments more than just following the charisma of the bad man to be more compelling and Snowpiercer has done that really well. 

Will need to finish this weekend. 

Not sure how many episodes you've seen but the last 2 episodes are tremendous and I've  enjoyed 2nd series of Snowpiercer more than the 1st.

Sean Bean was a great addition, really added a new dimension to the story and he plays the egomaniac so well.

3 hours ago, JustOneCornetto said:

Not sure how many episodes you've seen but the last 2 episodes are tremendous and I've  enjoyed 2nd series of Snowpiercer more than the 1st.

Sean Bean was a great addition, really added a new dimension to the story and he plays the egomaniac so well.

I got to the episode totally focused on Melanie. 

Will blast it this weekend for sure. I think part of me felt a bit anxious about the ability for it to go south so I was avoiding watching but I will.