Netflix

Biscuits

Don't f**k With Cats - three-part documentary about the pathetic wannabe serial killer Luka Magnotta, who was hunted down by the internet after posting videos of himself killing kittens, before graduating to larger prey.

I remember reading about the kitten videos back in the day, before it morphed into something else, and wondering why they had got so much attention considering that the internet is unfortunately full of small animals being tortured to death. The answer is that their author put so much effort into promoting them for attention, which tells you everything you need to know about the subject of the series.

Being fairly familiar with how this all played out, I thought that devoting three hours to this tale might be typical Netflix overkill, but they've actually done a good job of it and there's plenty to fill the running time. It's interesting to see the full extent of the information that the internets poleez discover, although it's yet another case where parts of the hivemind initially go hog wild and hound the wrong person into a suicide attempt, rather than just allowing the information to be handed over to the authorities.

Spoiler

Magnotta is an astonishingly contemptible piece of shit, and his mother isn't far behind, attacking the people who highlighted his crimes and demonstrating how she managed to incubate such a narcissistic monster, but it's pure humbug to finish the series on a "who are the real monsters?" note when you're making money from the prurient interest that you're bemoaning.

Edited by BFTD
Tidying up

I wanted to watch Don't F**k with Cats but after hearing some "internet sleuth" totally butcher the pronunciation of Etobicoke, I was put off it.

Almost done with Trial 4, found it a good watch, scary just how corrupt some police are, literally a law unto themselves. 

28 minutes ago, Torpar said:

I wanted to watch Don't F**k with Cats but after hearing some "internet sleuth" totally butcher the pronunciation of Etobicoke, I was put off it.

Almost done with Trial 4, found it a good watch, scary just how corrupt some police are, literally a law unto themselves. 

I think the same genius begin to say 'Namibia', give up halfway through, then referred several times to it being a place she'd never heard of and couldn't pronounce. She also seemed quite proud of her ignorance.

Her family must be so proud.

52 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I think the same genius begin to say 'Namibia', give up halfway through, then referred several times to it being a place she'd never heard of and couldn't pronounce. She also seemed quite proud of her ignorance.

Her family must be so proud.

I meant this genius, also that apartment building is ten minutes away from where I live, could have been me/my cats

Edited by Torpar

29 minutes ago, Torpar said:

I meant this genius, also that apartment building is ten minutes away from where I live, could have been me/my cats

I think somebody needs to make a documentary just about these folk. Let them get it all out of their system.

It's a pity that shite Magnotta didn't have the chance to pick on @Bigmouth Strikes Again's Smudger. His mother would still be looking for the body.

On 22/02/2021 at 20:26, Torpar said:

How is it pronounced? Obviously you live near the place, but to an outsider who’s never heard of it, it doesn’t seem too ludicrous a pronunciation.

That being said if I was going on TV I’d probably find out how to pronounce a location I’d be talking about.

53 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

How is it pronounced? Obviously you live near the place, but to an outsider who’s never heard of it, it doesn’t seem too ludicrous a pronunciation.

That being said if I was going on TV I’d probably find out how to pronounce a location I’d be talking about.

According to a quick google, it's Eh-toe-bih-coe. He's not far off, but I agree with your second point. The number of folk who appear on TV and radio and pronounce place names incorrectly is astonishing.

The BBC radio travel reporters are utterly dreadful for it. You'd have thought that getting place names right would be one of the key criteria for that job.

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

As Mark Connelly said, Eh-toe-be-coe, though locals pronounce more Eh-toe-ba-coe, locals also pronounce Toronto as Tarrono. I live in said area of the city and you are right that an outsider might not know how to pronounce it just by seeing it written down but surely an expert internet sleuth should at least learn the correct pronunciation. He also suggests its a suburb of Toronto which isn't really true, it was a city in its own right until 1998 when it amalgamated with Toronto, York, East York, North York and Scarborough (Pronounced Scar-burro) to form the City of Toronto, it's a bit like suggesting Leith is a suburb of Edinburgh. Anyway I'm sure this is all just tedious local nitpicking from me. 

After talk of Deutschland 89 on another thread and listening to The Cold War Conversations podcast I've been looking for Cold War Era stuff on Netflix but it all looks shite, any recommendations?  

4 minutes ago, Torpar said:

As Mark Connelly said, Eh-toe-be-coe, though locals pronounce more Eh-toe-ba-coe, locals also pronounce Toronto as Tarrono. I live in said area of the city and you are right that an outsider might not know how to pronounce it just by seeing it written down but surely an expert internet sleuth should at least learn the correct pronunciation. He also suggests its a suburb of Toronto which isn't really true, it was a city in its own right until 1998 when it amalgamated with Toronto, York, East York, North York and Scarborough (Pronounced Scar-burro) to form the City of Toronto, it's a bit like suggesting Leith is a suburb of Edinburgh. Anyway I'm sure this is all just tedious local nitpicking from me. 

After talk of Deutschland 89 on another thread and listening to The Cold War Conversations podcast I've been looking for Cold War Era stuff on Netflix but it all looks shite, any recommendations?  

I see your mistake here, you’ve assumed “internet sleuths” are anything more than utter morons in the main. 

1 hour ago, Torpar said:

Ahem...

On 01/02/2021 at 23:35, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Watched episode 1 of Breaking bad definetly enough there that I’ll see it through will report back at the end.

Only issue is finding it hard to take Malcolm in the middles dad seriously cooking meth.

Finished Breaking bad. Will do full thoughts in the actual thread at some point. But for me Season 4 seemed like the perfect ending while season 5 seemed dragged out.

The bit in the desert of that season is so unbelievably stupid aswell:-

Spoiler

Oh crazy guys that just gunned down a police officer, I’ve buried 80 million here you can have it if you don’t kill the other cop.

hmm how about we just kill him and take it anyway and you are lucky we are letting you live and leave with some of it.

Anyway will move on to Camino? And better call Saul next.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

5 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Finished Breaking bad. Will do full thoughts in the actual thread at some point. But for me Season 4 seemed like the perfect ending while season 5 seemed dragged out.

The bit in the desert of that season is so unbelievably stupid aswell:-

Reveal hidden contents

Oh crazy guys that just gunned down a police officer, I’ve buried 80 million here you can have it if you don’t kill the other cop.

hmm how about we just kill him and take it anyway and you are lucky we are letting you live and leave with some of it.

Anyway will move on to Camino? And better call Saul next.

Better Call Saul is a more enjoyable watch but takes a long time to get going, I nearly gave up midway through season two  but it's worthwhile sticking with it.

Just binged Ragnarok which I thought was excellent.

I'm utter garbage at describing TV shows and films that I like, so I won't bother here. I found the characters engaging and the hero's journey storyline was excellently done. 

It's all in Norwegian too. Genuinely excited for the next series.

Secret Obsession - a woman loses her memory after an attack by a mysterious stranger.

Lost for words as to how bad this was. It reminded me of the dreadful American TV movies that ITV would show in the evening when I was a kid, but even worse. It plays itself out as though it's going to be one of those thrillers full of mystery that builds to a great shocking twist that leaves the audience breathless, only you'll have guessed what's going on within the opening twenty minutes. Then the film just flat-out tells you what the twist is after forty minutes, and you're left with another sixty minutes to watch with no tension whatsoever, and not one single surprise or moment of interest...yet the film pretends as though there's a mystery still to solve.

It genuinely feels like a thriller that was made by people who didn't understand the concept and didn't know that anyone would ever watch their work and realise that, for example, some rope loosely draped around somebody's limb wouldn't look like a plausible restraint. Possibly made by space aliens who need more study time to understand humans and their moving picture make-pretend stories.

Just watched the hotel Cecil one people had been banging on about and thought it was a load of dragged out pish that could have been condensed into a 1 hour show.

It appears to have been universally slated on here tbh. I watched the first one and haven't went back.