Netflix

Biscuits

11 hours ago, PB1994 said:

Was it 80 people, she said, had died in the hotel in the 10 years she was there? She seemed to think that was totally normal.

Eight deaths per year, in a hotel with hundreds of rooms, never mind one with dozens of homeless residents in a terrible area? I'd say that's not bad going. Hotels in general are absolute hotbeds for death and criminal activity.

Anyway, just popped in to see if anyone else thought the Cecil Hotel documentary was utter dugshite, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. Yet another Netflix doc that's four times longer than it needed to be, and it's filled with so much shite that it stops being a story about a missing lassie and turns into an unintentional expose on how YouTube is riddled with "investigators" who will convince themselves of anything to turn a relatively straightforward story into a great mystery that only they have the smarts to solve. There's also massive re-use of footage between episodes.

Absolutely miserable stuff from the man who made the Paradise Lost films. No doubt this shit pays the bills, but it's a hell of a comedown.

Edit: I just about fucking died when some idiot came out with "I did some research, and I uncovered this movie called Dark Water", just before they got into the heavy conspiracy theories about tuberculosis and the Illuminati  :lol:

Edited by BFTD

Fear of 13
I only came across this so forgive me as I'm late to see it. That guy can sure tell a tale and to come this close to execution for murder is unbelievable. 

How bizarre I was just coming on to recommend this too, what a fantastic storyteller. BBC Storyville always seem to produce such great documentaries.

really enjoyed that

Just one more thing about the Hotel Cecil doc - I particularly enjoyed how the internet hounded that Mexican death metal laddie to attempt suicide because he'd stayed at the hotel A FUCKING YEAR BEFORE the lassie who went missing, and mentioned China in one of his songs. As one of the YouTube geniuses pointed out, Elisa Lam was Chinese, so it couldn't be a coincidence (she was Canadian).

The absolute brass neck on every single one of those egotists that they were willing to appear at the end of the show giving it, "yes, now that we've undertaken our rigorous investigations, we're prepared to admit that maybe the polis were right".

On 10/02/2021 at 10:27, JustOneCornetto said:

Anyone started watching Season 2 of Snowpiercer?

Thought Season 1 had it's moments but wanted to see what people think before I get into it again. It's being released week by week and I think 3 episodes have been shown so far.

I watched the first episode and they've added Sean Bean, a Resident Evil bad guy ice man and the hero cop says, after mutually assured destruction becomes a plot device, "this is gonna be a long cold war" so aye. Subtext is for cowards and everything's getting more daft.

29 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Just one more thing about the Hotel Cecil doc - I particularly enjoyed how the internet hounded that Mexican death metal laddie to attempt suicide because he'd stayed at the hotel A FUCKING YEAR BEFORE the lassie who went missing, and mentioned China in one of his songs. As one of the YouTube geniuses pointed out, Elisa Lam was Chinese, so it couldn't be a coincidence (she was Canadian).

The absolute brass neck on every single one of those egotists that they were willing to appear at the end of the show giving it, "yes, now that we've undertaken our rigorous investigations, we're prepared to admit that maybe the polis were right".

I came on to say this exact post. I am foaming at the mouth with seethe at these utter scumbags. Happily ruined a random person’s life with baseless accusations due to a video from a year before the actual incident, driving them to suicide attempts. Not a single one of them even mentions him. Remember feeling the same with don't f**k with cats. Utter scum.

14 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

Just finished Red Dot. If a miserable tale set in the Swedish countryside sounds like it's your thing then give it a watch. It was okay, but there's nothing really new there. 6/10.

Yeah just watched this as well. Nothing worse than the main characters making ridiculous decisions throughout though. A first class showing of constant stupidity

Watching White House farm atm, based on real events where a mentally ill woman kills supposedly kills her kids and parents then commits suicide at the family home in Essex but all is not as it seems. Stephen Graham and Mark Addy are in it and a few more people you'd recognise. Spoilers for first 2 episodes

Spoiler

As awful as it is to say I absolutely could not stand her in the brief time she was alive, she obviously had issues but she was just annoying as f**k, maybe it was the actress. It's obviously looking like it was the brother who is a right arsehole but I think that would be too obvious, for some reason I think it was the kids dad just cause he seems like the nicest guy ever and it would bring some shock value. Could also be the mother/grandmother cause I think they mention her blood trail and her moving about. 

Guest bernardblack
11 hours ago, BFTD said:

These internet “sleuths” are utterly no righters.

Convincing themselves they see things to fit their narrative. 
“look that’s someone else’s foot”....clearly the lassies foot. 
I do think the whole true crime thing has jumped the shark with this series 

12 hours ago, bernardblack said:

That Hotel Cecil is utter garbage btw

The wife hasn't watched the netflix one but there are 2, yes 2 seperate ones on Discovery +.

both are pretty much the same with the same footage but the one i caught was being a bit mental and trying to drum up drama. pressing buttons in the lift to get to another world... even derek aconda wasn't this bad.

https://www.cnet.com/news/netflixs-cecil-hotel-documentary-is-a-bloated-irresponsible-mess-crime-scene/

This article sums it up better than I can, but I concur that the Cecil Hotel thing is absolute mince.

Special shout out to the couple not only brushing their teeth with smelly brown water but also drinking it.

Edited by Mr. Brightside

27 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

https://www.cnet.com/news/netflixs-cecil-hotel-documentary-is-a-bloated-irresponsible-mess-crime-scene/

This article sums it up better than I can, but I concur that the Cecil Hotel thing is absolute mince.

Special shout out to the couple not only brushing their teeth with smelly brown water but also drinking it.

I forgot about that! I think they fucking showered in it too.

IIRC, they complained to reception, who moved them to another room where the water was the same, so they just figured, "oh well, better get on with it then".

They didn't even look that fussed about why it was brown. I think most folk would need therapy for that. The water in Plymouth must be absolutely minging.

22 hours ago, Saigon Raider said:

Sorry if it's been mentioned but Lupin is absolutely superb. French drama, kind of a cross between Oceans 11 and Catch Me If You Can. Only 5 episodes but we blasted through it, very smart and we'll acted.

I quite enjoyed this as I really like the main actor. A lot of it is contrived and some of the character decisions aren't that believable. I didn't think it was very substantial. The lead actor is charismatic as f**k though and totally carries it on his big broad shoulders. The polis are too stupid though, it feels like a weans' show. As I said though, it was enjoyable enough and I really fancy his ex wife.

On 15/02/2021 at 06:47, The Golden God said:

Watching White House farm atm, based on real events where a mentally ill woman kills supposedly kills her kids and parents then commits suicide at the family home in Essex but all is not as it seems. Stephen Graham and Mark Addy are in it and a few more people you'd recognise. Spoilers for first 2 episodes

Hide contents

As awful as it is to say I absolutely could not stand her in the brief time she was alive, she obviously had issues but she was just annoying as f**k, maybe it was the actress. It's obviously looking like it was the brother who is a right arsehole but I think that would be too obvious, for some reason I think it was the kids dad just cause he seems like the nicest guy ever and it would bring some shock value. Could also be the mother/grandmother cause I think they mention her blood trail and her moving about. 

It's based on the story of Jeremy Bamber, one of the most famous mass murder cases in the UK in the last few decades. 

A real split of opinion over whether he did it or not, I personally don't think he did, pretty sure it was the fruit loop sister.

3 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

It's based on the story of Jeremy Bamber, one of the most famous mass murder cases in the UK in the last few decades. 

A real split of opinion over whether he did it or not, I personally don't think he did, pretty sure it was the fruit loop sister.

Finished it yesterday, I think he did it and surely it can be agreed that he is a complete p***k? He deserves the jail just for his hair. Maybe the portrayal of him in the show is over the top but he comes across terribly. His sister does aswell to be fair but she isn't in it as much, don't know much about her condition but all she does in the programme is stand silently. Mark Addy was great, it was funny seeing him Robert, Theon, Yara and Jon Snow's mate all together in something different.