Netflix

Biscuits

Have skipped past the comments on Bly Manor as I am four episodes in. 

Was a bit 'meh' about it after the first two episodes, but watched another two tonight - both of which I thought were excellent.

There hasn't been any set pieces that are as impressive as the 20 minute one shot scene from Hill House, but it is brilliantly written and directed. It's a million miles away from the likes of Annabelle and other cattleprod horrors, and that is a very good thing.

16 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

The boy Peter’s Scottish accent in Haunting of Bly Manor is hilariously bad. Gerard Butler levels of atrociousness. It’s so bad that it’s actually distracting from enjoying the programme. We’re 3 episodes in and if he keeps speaking I’m not sure I’ll be able to finish it for cringing.

Can only assume that there’s not a soul involved in the making of the programme that had ever heard a Scottish accent.

It's a bit like Aidan Gillen.  He's Irish, but his Irish accent in Cavalry is absolutely all over the shop.  Bad acting is bad acting, irrespective of birthplace.

On 15/10/2020 at 20:17, Twinkle said:

Reminds me of the Burnistoun sketch with the scot talking with an american accent. Clearly a dig at Butler

I'm sure the WWE wrestler Drew Mcintyre has specifically referenced that sketch before as he has a proper Hollywood Scottish accent. I'm sure he knows Rab Florence as well.

22 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

It's a bit like Aidan Gillen.  He's Irish, but his Irish accent in Cavalry is absolutely all over the shop.  Bad acting is bad acting, irrespective of birthplace.

Having played Quantum Break recently and watched a couple of other things Gillen is in I think he's just completely forgot what his accent is supposed to be. It's tragic. 

Having played Quantum Break recently and watched a couple of other things Gillen is in I think he's just completely forgot what his accent is supposed to be. It's tragic. 
He's the same in GoT, his accent changes dramatically between series.

3 minutes ago, spud131 said:
15 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

He's the same in GoT, his accent changes dramatically between series.

He wasn’t alone in that.  I think there was a reason, but I can’t remember exactly.  Something to do with not having voice coaches, or a change in direction.

If we're talking about a bad accent which is your own, surely Charlie Hunnam tops that. When I first saw Green Street I was 100% certain that they'd got some American to try and do a cockney accent. Turns out he's English tho.
And yet his American accent in SoA is grim as f**k [emoji23] Hes a geordie I believe.

Finished season two of Kingdom which was pretty good. The first season is really darkly funny with how brutal the aristocracy are towards the peasantry and the scenes of them broadly getting their comeuppance has a sense of schadenfraude. Season two is less funny and tries to be more epic which broadly works with the conclusions even if it seems to believe a little too strongly in the nobility of the, eh, nobility with the Crown Prince. I'd have been happy with that as an ending and even one of the wrinkles introduced in the final moments would've been a good "what if" conclusion but the other new thread gives off a Walking Dead vibe which coupled with the comments from one of the creators that they've envisioned a ten season show is very discouraging. 

On 16/10/2020 at 23:11, scoobles said:

The trial of the Chicago 7.
True story of a state fit-up of anti-war activists in Chicago 68.
Special credit to Jeremy Strong who is fantastic in it.
Thoroughly enjoyable 9/10

Outstanding. Some fantastic performances throughout.

Only downside for me is Joseph Gordon Levitt who is a 40 year old playing a 33 year old and still comes off as a 12 year old dressing in his dad's clothes. He just doesn't do it for me as the best prosecutor in the State.

Easily a 9/10 though.

50 minutes ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Netflix at it again. That's them done with Mindhunter.emoji17.png I thoroughly enjoyed it too. Hopefully someone else picks it up.

What a shame - it was probably my favourite Netflix original series. 

Looks like it was "too expensive" for the number of viewers . 

Just finished Series 1 of Dutch/Belgian production ‘Undercover’

Basic premise is of authorities attempting to snare a major drug player.

Thought it was really very good and was pleased to see a second series is due for release next month.

16 hours ago, Slenderman said:

Star Trek: Discovery s3 is utter garbage.

the second episode was at least a significant improvement on the first. I get the impression they are trying to go with a new direction (on top of the new time/setting of course) to make it distinct and stand apart from the upcoming Strange New Worlds.