Netflix

Biscuits

9 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

I’ve watched three episodes of The Haunting of Bly House and it’s not a scary as the Hill House so far. I think I’ve only clocked 3 or 4 ghosts but I am aware of the story so I kind of know what’s going to happen. Maybe that’s why I’m not finding it as scary. I genuinely had a nightmare after binging the first 5 episodes of Hill House.

I watched 3 and a bit episodes and wasn’t impressed with it. I did spot a fair few ghosts but haven’t found it scary at all. I don’t have a clue about the story but the Haunting of Hill House was much better.

I don’t plan on watching the rest of the episodes but that may change if I’m struggling to find something to watch.

Is Ratched worth watching?
Love the One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest novel and the film is good as well.
About 4 episodes in before we started watching Bly Haunting. It's a good watch so far. Done by the same folk who do American Horror Story and has a very similar feel. Sarah Paulson is her usual excellent self.

It's nothing like OFOTCN but I don't think it's supposed to be. It seems it's more about the wicked bitch's rise to the top.

We'll be back to it after finishing Haunting tonight so I'm hoping it's a decent ending.

Is Ratched worth watching?
Love the One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest novel and the film is good as well.
I thought it was good. It's a bit far fetched at times but once you get by that it tells a good story. I'm sure I read it's being renewed for a 2nd series.

American Murder: The Family Next Door

Well constructed documentary about the shocking murder of Shanann Watts and her two young daughters. Most of what you see is actual police cam footage and interviews, phone texts and a lot of Facebook stuff as she liked to let everyone know her life story. It's very immersive and not an easy watch especially as the horrible truth unfolds.

American Murder: The Family Next Door
Well constructed documentary about the shocking murder of Shanann Watts and her two young daughters. Most of what you see is actual police cam footage and interviews, phone texts and a lot of Facebook stuff as she liked to let everyone know her life story. It's very immersive and not an easy watch especially as the horrible truth unfolds.
**SPOILERS**

Did you suspect the dad right away? After about 2 minutes I thought he had done it purely on his behaviour. I dunno if I watch too much Columbo but I thought it was obvious right away. My mum and dad watched it and thought he was behaving fine and had no idea he did it. I watched Gogglebox the other day and they were showing this. The Gogglebox cast all appeared shocked it was him as well. I honestly thought it was blatantly obvious he was guilty from the off.

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

**SPOILERS**

Did you suspect the dad right away? After about 2 minutes I thought he had done it purely on his behaviour. I dunno if I watch too much Columbo but I thought it was obvious right away. My mum and dad watched it and thought he was behaving fine and had no idea he did it. I watched Gogglebox the other day and they were showing this. The Gogglebox cast all appeared shocked it was him as well. I honestly thought it was blatantly obvious he was guilty from the off.

Spoiler

Yeah I thought that too from pretty much the first time we saw him, even the neighbour told the Cop that he was acting peculiar, he didn't even look concerned about the two wee girls. Just evil scum.

I didn't think much of American Murder: The Family Neext Door, but I already knew the story and I'm sure I've seen another documentary on it at some point.

Finished the Challenger Final Flight documentary.  It was excellent. Episode one wasn't the easiest viewing as they introduced  all the astronauts etc but it was very compelling. 

Now started he Haunting of Bly Manor. A couple of episodes in and I agree with other comments - it's not scary and isn't as good as Hill House - but I'm still enjoying it.

Binged watched it today. Meh. Few episodes in the middle dragged along but the last couple were very good. Quite an obvious ending from halfway thru the last episode
Checked the time when I figured it out and it was 27 minutes [emoji38]

Finished Bly Manor the other day. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Feel a bit for the writers as folk will compare it to the excellent Hill House even though it's a new story. It isn't scary like that was but it was still well written I felt. Got mental at times but I managed to stay with it.

Good performances throughout though the guy trying to do the Scottish accent was painful at times. Actors seem to think all you have to do is roll your 'R's' and you're Scottish.

Kate Siegal is an absolute babe.

Thought it was a really good ending if bittersweet. Hopefully a new story is in production.

I thought there was a constant feeling of unease with Hill House. It was done really well and, for me, that approach ended up being a lot scarier than your typical 'jump scare' overkill in modern horror.

I liked Bly Manor despite its lack of scares. Actually preferred the first six episodes to the final three. The ending was satisfying and quite moving, even though it was clear from Episode 1 or 2 who the characters at the wedding were supposed to be. The accents were a problem, however. It wasn't at the same standard as Hill House but it was good in its own right.

Edited by The Real Saints

The boy Peter’s Scottish accent in Haunting of Bly Manor is hilariously bad. Gerard Butler levels of atrociousness. It’s so bad that it’s actually distracting from enjoying the programme. We’re 3 episodes in and if he keeps speaking I’m not sure I’ll be able to finish it for cringing.

Can only assume that there’s not a soul involved in the making of the programme that had ever heard a Scottish accent.

9 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

The boy Peter’s Scottish accent in Haunting of Bly Manor is hilariously bad. Gerard Butler levels of atrociousness. It’s so bad that it’s actually distracting from enjoying the programme. We’re 3 episodes in and if he keeps speaking I’m not sure I’ll be able to finish it for cringing.

Can only assume that there’s not a soul involved in the making of the programme that had ever heard a Scottish accent.

😕 But... Gerard Butler... is Scottish...

Yeah commented on his accent already. I don't know if I feel sorry for people trying to do Scottish accents or should feel insulted by their ignorance. For a small country the range of dialects is pretty incredible. Actors trying to do it should focus on one area of the country but even then that's tricky as they can vary within regions as well. Dumfries has two accents alone depending on whether you're from the nice part of town or the good part.

I expect it's too much effort and they just think rolling the R will get them pass marks.