Netflix

Biscuits

Last night watched The Social Dilemma.

Although the irony of watching this on Netflix and their marketing campaign is not lost on me one bit, I genuinely recommend EVERYONE watches this. The problems being highlighted are 100% as serious as they are making out. They've pointed something out that I had kind of felt for ages years now, but couldn't put into words.

If you're constantly on your phone, give it a watch then get the f**k off your phone.

Although the irony of watching this on Netflix and their marketing campaign is not lost on me one bit, I genuinely recommend EVERYONE watches this. The problems being highlighted are 100% as serious as they are making out. They've pointed something out that I had kind of felt for ages years now, but couldn't put into words.

If you're constantly on your phone, give it a watch then get the f**k off your phone.
Aye I might watch this. The Mrs was going through FB yesterday (ironically) saying folk were wanting to throw away their phones after watching it - the same folk who would have posted said message using their phone.

I don't know what it is about the show that makes them say this but the reality of our world just now is that if it said categorically that 98% of your monthly phone bill money goes directly to terrorist groups and sweat shops with child labour, the vast majority of people still wouldn't give up their phones.

Just binged all of cobra kai. Really enjoyed it i would quite happily ditch off some of the teenager bits to just watch Johnny Lawrence getting angry at modern life and having bar fights. 
Just finished season one and really enjoying it as well. Agree about the teenager bits.

Loving the 80's nostalgia with the flashbacks and the Reo Speedwagon scene was superb.

Suburra: Blood On Rome is a decent watch. Similar vein to Gomorrah but not a patch on that 
Someone pretty much fucked the film for me by telling me to watch it after watching the first two seasons. Got to a fairly major plot point, decided it made no fucking sense, so I googled it and the prequel is to be 3 seasons. So I shouldnt have even tried the film.

On 14/09/2020 at 05:28, Stellaboz said:

I watched this last night. It's very good as you say. Glad that I'm barely on social media! I have a Facebook account but barely use it or look at it any more. Not on any of the others thankfully.

The issues are real and it's pretty frightening stuff. A lot of the stuff @D.A.F.C has talked about before was validated.

On 14/09/2020 at 08:11, 19QOS19 said:

Aye I might watch this. The Mrs was going through FB yesterday (ironically) saying folk were wanting to throw away their phones after watching it - the same folk who would have posted said message using their phone.

I don't know what it is about the show that makes them say this but the reality of our world just now is that if it said categorically that 98% of your monthly phone bill money goes directly to terrorist groups and sweat shops with child labour, the vast majority of people still wouldn't give up their phones.

I noticed how much time I was spending in my phone a while back. It mostly on a couple of sites (including this one!) but it had so easily become a habit. I was starting to just idly browse when watching a film, something I'd never done before. At the start of lockdown my phone battery was almost drained at the end of the day, with a few occasions where I had to charge it.

Now it's always at least above 50% at the end of the day, without charging it, and even then I still probably use it too much. Thankfully it's usually fucking around on here and not on social media, so I'm not giving over loads of data (although the new privacy notice on here suggests I'm giving over more than I realise).

On 14/09/2020 at 08:36, Stellaboz said:

Word of warning - almost immediately I wanted to slap the young kid who looks like he's 35 somehow with a brick.

I hated the younger daughter more. When she smashed the box the maw should have smashed her phone.

Sad to see kids growing up with zero personality and all being bland, boring clones who just live a false shite life of constantly seeking validation through their phones and being played like puppets.

It's such a da thing to say, but I'm so glad I grew up without social media.

Reading Richard Seymour's 'The Twittering Machine' which sounds roughly similar to what The Social Dilemma is trying to do. The Twittering Machine, AFAIK, is a painting where a flock of birds are perched above a fiery pit which they lure people in with their twittering in case anyone thinks they've ever written a metaphor that's too on the nose.

My Octopus Teacher

This is a lovely documentary. Basically, a diver builds up an incredible relationship with an Octopus and essentially the Octopus lets him into her world. I always knew Octopus were intelligent creatures but some of the things this guy captures are incredible.

It's just a really enjoyable 90 minutes of television. I had a tear at the end.

22 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Reading Richard Seymour's 'The Twittering Machine' which sounds roughly similar to what The Social Dilemma is trying to do. The Twittering Machine, AFAIK, is a painting where a flock of birds are perched above a fiery pit which they lure people in with their twittering in case anyone thinks they've ever written a metaphor that's too on the nose.

I didn’t learn a thing from the Social Dilemma.   Facebook is creepy as heck, and there’s no real surprise that all your adverts are specifically tailored to your viewing habits, which, ultimately, is the thrust of the argument.  All the hyperbole doesn’t detract from the fact that anybody can limit the personal information these companies have access to if they think it’s a concern.

Edited by Savage Henry

5 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

My Octopus Teacher

This is a lovely documentary. Basically, a diver builds up an incredible relationship with an Octopus and essentially the Octopus lets him into her world. I always knew Octopus were intelligent creatures but some of the things this guy captures are incredible.

It's just a really enjoyable 90 minutes of television. I had a tear at the end.

Incredible film.

Watched the social dilemma, kind of knew about most of the issues but didn’t realise just how far it’s gone.

Polarisation of political views is getting worse because of it as well, didn’t realise that so much before.

I think it’s too far gone now, most young people wouldn’t even care as they’ve been submerged in it all their lives. It needs regulated from governments and the world would be a much better place without it all. It’s not being used for what the original intention was. Humanity has surrendered to AI control and without anyone realising. Not quite terminator but it’s scary as f**k to me.

”how can you wake up to the matrix when you don’t know there’s a matrix?”