Netflix

Biscuits

I think it’s largely due to the producers  feelings uncomfortable about asking young actors to perform explicit scenes.  We expect these sort of shows to have sex scenes or drug taking involved, but asking a 15/16 year old could lead to potential accusations being aimed at you. 

There’s also an experience aspect. You can use someone with 10 years expensive(ignoring child roles) vs a fresh face, this being something you get away with due to other shows also following these 2 ‘rules’
Under 16yr olds are only allowed a maximum of 4 hours a day and only for 4 days a week.
That's the main reason for using older kids/young adults in the states

13 hours ago, parsforlife said:

I can’t think of a single drama where the characters are meant to be teenagers where the actors aren’t in their 20s at least(and sometimes 30s).  

The Wire Season 4.

On 23/06/2020 at 22:11, wellinwigan said:

Quite enjoying the 3rd season of the Sinner watched the first 2 episodes and it's just as good as the last 2 seasons..twisty turny stuff

I finished it this week and have to say I thought it was pretty poor in comparison to the previous two series, miles behind series 1.

11 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I finished it this week and have to say I thought it was pretty poor in comparison to the previous two series, miles behind series 1.

Now that I have got further into it I am now scunnered with it. Finished ep6 and it's just getting ludicrous. 

Enjoyed the first few episodes of series 3 but that's it. 

I loved Shameless in the early days but gave up on it at the end of Series 4 where previously peripheral character Karen was fine with the rubbish Jamie Maguire murdering 3 folk and everyone started singing.

Edited by The OP

Despite slagging it earlier in the thread, I actually enjoyed the last season of 13 Reasons Why. Watched it all in two days which is very rare for me. Stayed up til about 3 because I didn't realise the finale was feature length until I was already ten minutes in.

Overall, it was an improvement on the last one. It seemed to have a bit more of a clear nattative and it certainly helped that Clay's voice was the one talking us through everything. This was always his story and the last season suffered for being narrated by a brand new character who didn't fit in well and whose arc was questionable.

The collective guilt felt by a lot of the main cast was portrayed well, with Clay's gradual breakdown being mostly quite believable given the context. Initially wasn't sure about all the 'hallucinations' as it seemed at first like a fairly cynical take on mental illness where you start talking to the dead. Was outweighed by the fact that they gave us an insight into the characters' mind (Clay in particular but also Jessica and briefly Alex).

This is also probably the only show I've ever seen where the gay characters have the most solid romantic relationships. Prom was lovely, although that episode was far too happy. Was a bit anxious waiting for it to all go wrong.

Final episode again has sparked a bit of controversy. I thought it was gut wrenching and ultimately as good an end as the series could have hoped for. Brought things back full circle and sent the cast off into the world broken, but a bit more ready and willing to move on.

Couple of observations that annoyed me - Diego seemed to just give up quite easily at the end, and on the topic, did we see him in previous seasons? I feel like ever season has introduced a new central jock character for us all to hate. Zach's arc was really disappointing considering he was one of the nicest guys on the show til this point. Finally, why did Clay or Zach seemingly face no repurcussions for the incident after the party?

Seen it mentioned a couple of time’s earlier in the thread but Schitts Creek is actually an excellent comedy. It’s something you don’t need to give absolute attention to given the episodes are only 20 minutes long, but the further I get into the better it is getting.

I’m not usually a fan of American comedy in any shape or form, I could watch the US Office after smoking a lot of weed and hardly smirk at it, and things like the Big Bang Theory make me genuinely unwell due to the honkingness of their patter, and then also hearing that the actors were pulling in around half a mill an episode to produce that waffle... but Schitts Creek is actually pretty good. It’s not tears running down your face funny but it’s clever writing and has plenty of moments each episode to chuckle along to. It also helps that Alexis is an absolute 29 out of 10. 

4 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Seen it mentioned a couple of time’s earlier in the thread but Schitts Creek is actually an excellent comedy. It’s something you don’t need to give absolute attention to given the episodes are only 20 minutes long, but the further I get into the better it is getting.

I’m not usually a fan of American comedy in any shape or form, I could watch the US Office after smoking a lot of weed and hardly smirk at it, and things like the Big Bang Theory make me genuinely unwell due to the honkingness of their patter, and then also hearing that the actors were pulling in around half a mill an episode to produce that waffle... but Schitts Creek is actually pretty good. It’s not tears running down your face funny but it’s clever writing and has plenty of moments each episode to chuckle along to. It also helps that Alexis is an absolute 29 out of 10. 

David Rose is a source of fantastic gifs.

2 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

David Rose is a source of fantastic gifs.

It’s full of GIF material tbf. I’m on the third season and I really like the fact it’s a 20 minute episode and the majority of the threads don’t continue through the season. It’s a bit like Still Game in a way, where the story develops in the first half and is concluded in the second half. Maybe I’ve got a short attention span but I actually think some other programmes out there, especially comedy shows, would benefit from this structure.