Netflix

Biscuits

Somebody Feed Phil is quite a nice watch. Phil Rosenthal, the writer/creator of Everybody Loves Raymond, goes to various cities to try the local cuisine. Usually follows a standard path - local market, street food, cafe/bar, lunch, fancy Michelin starred restaurant, dinner at the home of a local chef/writer/noted citizen of some sort. Some incredible looking food and Phil himself is very affable and makes friends wherever he goes. Quite similar to the Anthony Bourdain programme I guess.

I've been watching Street Food Asia on Netflix over the last couple of days, really good show which concentrates more on the (usually very old and poor) people who run these stalls, rather than the food itself. It also tells you abit about the street food culture in that city/country.

Some of the food they show does look phenomenal but I'd be abit worried about eating from some of them, especially the ones in Delhi.

On 13/05/2020 at 08:19, stevieKTID said:

Started watching Last Chance U, it focuses on East Mississippi community college football team, basically troubled kids trying to find a way out of their current situation, i've found myself willing those kids to succeed, definitely worth a watch.

I've watched all 4 seasons. First two are the team in Mississippi and then it goes to another school in Kansas. 

Both coaches are nutters IMO and similar but the guy at Kansas is much more likeable than Buddy Stephens who's a massive hypocrite. The way he acted at the riot at the end of season one sums him up. 

Last episode of 13 reasons why was a really tough watch, very sad. Overall I thought the season was much better than the 2nd and third though. Didn't need anywhere need 4 but it was all watchable. 

Spoiler

Clay's deterioration has been a long time coming but I thought they handled it really well (even if the dissociative identity disorder was a bit obvious), was more interesting to watch than fucking Ani last year. 

Justin's death was horrible, the scene where Clay's speaking to his ghost or whatever it was and reading out his college letter got a tear I won't lie. 

Last episode of 13 reasons why was a really tough watch, very sad. Overall I thought the season was much better than the 2nd and third though. Didn't need anywhere need 4 but it was all watchable. 
Spoiler

Clay's deterioration has been a long time coming but I thought they handled it really well (even if the dissociative identity disorder was a bit obvious), was more interesting to watch than fucking Ani last year. 
Justin's death was horrible, the scene where Clay's speaking to his ghost or whatever it was and reading out his college letter got a tear I won't lie. 

Worth sticking with to get to 4? I'm nowhere near there yet. I don't think a TV series has had quite as much of an effect on me as S1 of 13 Reasons Why. Pretty chilling tv. Sad to see they've kept going. S2 was nowhere near as gripping.

57 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
2 hours ago, Louis Litt said:
Spoiler
  Reveal hidden contents

Worth sticking with to get to 4? I'm nowhere near there yet. I don't think a TV series has had quite as much of an effect on me as S1 of 13 Reasons Why. Pretty chilling tv. Sad to see they've kept going. S2 was nowhere near as gripping.

Yeah definitely. Like I said you'll inevitably have thoughts (in season 3) that's its being dragged out but if you found the first season hard hitting I'd definitely stick with. 

It's funny how tv can be so divisive. You'll never get to see the chimp attempting to rescue the satellite. 
"And I just said he represented the best in all of us. No medal for that asshole!"

Actual tears.

Binged 'The Umbrella Academy'. Really enjoyed it. Cast great, music is great, it's funny and really well made with some excellent shots. Plus it has a talking monkey butler. Good to start a show when the second season is just round the corner so I don't need to wait a year.

The wife is watching Space Force, i am only watching it in the background, my god it is unfunny and completly shit!!

I like steve carrell, i like john malkovic, how did they read this script and say 'i am doing this'?

Still on The Last Dance. Have said before I dont get anyone who says MJ took it too far or was a dick in his drive to win. What I have taken from the last couple I have watched is that I just cant believe he kept his performance level so high. The way he talks and the way its presented, the business on the court must have been so hard to keep a focus on. All the shit he had going on and he still had to be better, hungrier, fitter that everyone else that had a fraction of the distractions he had.

My respect for the man grows with each episode.

The wife is watching Space Force, i am only watching it in the background, my god it is unfunny and completly shit!!
I like steve carrell, i like john malkovic, how did they read this script and say 'i am doing this'?
First one was ok without having many laughs. I watched the second one earlier and as I said above I genuinely had tears streaming down my face with the chimp scenes. Will stick with it now. Taking it for what it is, an utterly ludicrous comedy not taking itself seriously.

Still on The Last Dance. Have said before I dont get anyone who says MJ took it too far or was a dick in his drive to win. What I have taken from the last couple I have watched is that I just cant believe he kept his performance level so high. The way he talks and the way its presented, the business on the court must have been so hard to keep a focus on. All the shit he had going on and he still had to be better, hungrier, fitter that everyone else that had a fraction of the distractions he had.

My respect for the man grows with each episode.
Totally agree his focus and sheer will to be the absolute best deserves nothing but respect imo.

Loved the quote from the first episode that you could argue that Michael Jordan was as good at his job as anybody has ever been at their job ever, in anything.

Watched that Epstein thing. If you're familiar with the works of James Lee Burke and his Robicheaux detective books, Epstein is like a baddie straight out of one of the books with his private island and paid-off police. The girls/women in it are very brave to tell their stories so openly and the bits that really nail Epstein are the snippets from guys who looked after the phones etc on his island describing what they saw. Could probably have been condensed to a much shorter running time but a sad/interesting show anyway. 

Started watching "The Eddy". 

Jazz club in Paris. Some bad people visit. Lots of French people pout and the camera gets in everyone's face. 

Made by the guy who did Whiplash and La La Land and so far it's like a very downbeat relative of Whiplash. He certainly knows what he's doing in terms of filming live music. 

Could have easily given up half way into the first episode but something dramatic happens at last so will stick with it. 

Netflix removing all series with blackface depicted on it at the moment.

League of Gentleman
The mighty boosh
Little Britain
Come fly with me

I do wonder if they’ll remove Still Game, or the episode where Jack and Victor take the pills due to how it ended.

Netflix removing all series with blackface depicted on it at the moment.

League of Gentleman

The mighty boosh

Little Britain

Come fly with me

I do wonder if they’ll remove Still Game, or the episode where Jack and Victor take the pills due to how it ended.

I dont recall blackface in The Mighty Boosh. Having said that, enjoyment of that particular show is enhanced by ones own chemical balance so maybe there was.

ETA just googled it. It's the "spirit of jazz" character, who is meant to be a ghost of a jazz musician. His face was black, but was covered in random white markings and he wore a flaming hat. Netflix being a bit silly in this particular instance IMO. Cant speak for League of Gentlemen.

I dont recall blackface in The Mighty Boosh. Having said that, enjoyment of that particular show is enhanced by ones own chemical balance so maybe there was.  
ETA just googled it. It's the "spirit of jazz" character, who is meant to be a ghost of a jazz musician. His face was black, but was covered in random white markings and he wore a flaming hat. Netflix being a bit silly in this particular instance IMO. Cant speak for League of Gentlemen.
It's certainly a can of worms. You could go through a lot of past shows with a fine toothed comb and find something offensive to someone. In Sunny in Philly they use blackface as well as saying the N word. They also say the N word in The Office. Neither are offensive in the context but I don't know how far this will go just now.

I've only watched TLOG in bits but I knew they had a blackface character.

411full.jpeg

36 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's certainly a can of worms. You could go through a lot of past shows with a fine toothed comb and find something offensive to someone. In Sunny in Philly they use blackface as well as saying the N word. They also say the N word in The Office. Neither are offensive in the context but I don't know how far this will go just now.

I've only watched TLOG in bits but I knew they had a blackface character.

411full.jpeg

It's actually one of my favourite scenes from Mighty Boosh. 

13w8.gif