Netflix

Biscuits

The Last Dance was brilliant, I know some folk have criticised the jumping back and forward in time, but I felt that put everything into context as to how everybody got to where they were.

It was Seve week on Bunkered.com last week as he would have turned 70. They shared this story from the 1997 Ryder Cup at Valderamma.IMG_20200524_172022.jpgIMG_20200524_172027.jpg

On 18/05/2020 at 20:47, D'Jaffo said:

Just finished watching Dead To Me season 2 last night. Pretty decent series although I think they’re getting close to exhausting the actual premise of the show.

I came on here to recommend this, it starts off a bit chick flicky but it’s a very good binge watch and pretty funny and surreal. Christina Applegate is superb. 

Started watching Snowpiercer today, looks pretty good. I Haven't seen the film so I have no preconceived ideas about how it's going to pan out.
Great movie, watched the first two episodes on Netflix and it's not too bad, hate the whole "new episode weekly" pish though.

11 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Space Force has such a great cast but I think I managed about 4 minutes before I switched it off. Every joke was like that Have I Got News For You Twitter account level stuff. Obvious, strained, telegraphed. Also making the mistake of satirising Trump era America.

Anyone to reassure me it gets better?

Yep four episodes in and on the verge of giving up, which is a shame as you say the cast is great and in theory it should be good.

Wants annoying me most is that even the Americans wouldn't promote such an absolute idiot to four star general..

1 hour ago, Hauzen said:

Yep four episodes in and on the verge of giving up, which is a shame as you say the cast is great and in theory it should be good.

Wants annoying me most is that even the Americans wouldn't promote such an absolute idiot to four star general..

I'm either being whooshed or you haven't been noticing some of Trump's recent appointments. Giving at a go, maybe low expectations will pay off.

Space Force has such a great cast but I think I managed about 4 minutes before I switched it off. Every joke was like that Have I Got News For You Twitter account level stuff. Obvious, strained, telegraphed. Also making the mistake of satirising Trump era America.

I quite liked the first episode. It wasn't great but it was what it was - a fairly silly parody to the US military.

29 minutes ago, Mr X said:
1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

I quite liked the first episode. It wasn't great but it was what it was - a fairly silly parody to the US military.

Me too, you have to take in the tradition of American goofball comedy, don't expect subtlety.

Just watched the first episode and I enjoyed it. Probably helped that I didn’t expect too much in the way of subtlety going in. Fred Willard’s cameo as the dottled dad was the highlight of the episode. That man was funny in everything.

Think it’ll nicely fit in to the “mindless and entertaining background television in the evening whilst I play football manager” role.

I had high expectations for Space Force, given the cast and the writers. Love Parks and Rec, Veep, Good Place etc and have a big soft spot for that type of comedy.

Haven’t watched it yet but seeing on here and other forums some very underwhelming reactions.

After hearing my wife constantly pissing herself laughing watching, I finally started Schitt's Creek last night.

Very good so far, short episodes which you can blast through and it is genuinely funny. Rich family lose all their money and head to a town they own called Schitt's Creek. Recognised the mum and the mayor - both from Home Alone.

After hearing my wife constantly pissing herself laughing watching, I finally started Schitt's Creek last night.

Very good so far, short episodes which you can blast through and it is genuinely funny. Rich family lose all their money and head to a town they own called Schitt's Creek. Recognised the mum and the mayor - both from Home Alone.
Aye my brother recommended this. I'm a few episodes in. Catherine O'Hara's voice does my box in though so I struggle to binge it. I dunno if it's her character or if she actually speaks like that now. The mayor wasn't in Home Alone but he does look similar to 'Marv' now you mention it.

Guest bernardblack
I had high expectations for Space Force, given the cast and the writers. Love Parks and Rec, Veep, Good Place etc and have a big soft spot for that type of comedy.

Haven’t watched it yet but seeing on here and other forums some very underwhelming reactions.

Michael Scott just should have kept selling paper

2 hours ago, Saigon Raider said:

I ended up giving it a go earlier in the year. I'd heard good things but the name put me off. 

I thought it was great and the entire series is complete to stream on Netflix having just wrapped the final season.

The mum and dad in it are Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara. So if anyone is a fan of the Christopher Guest films its one to watch. The show's Mayor I don't remember being in Home Alone but is Chris Elliott. Who's a face most people will recognise and I largely remember as the butler from one of the Scary Movie films that had a baby hand.

On 26/05/2020 at 16:33, JustOneCornetto said:

Started watching Snowpiercer today, looks pretty good. I Haven't seen the film so I have no preconceived ideas about how it's going to pan out.

Had hot heard of it until last night. I watched both episodes and like the whole set up. Althoughsome of the acting is comical. The dialogue between the ain main character and the blonde women is laughable, like a child has written the script. Still it's entertaining and watchable

Finished The Last Dance.

Absolutely great show. Loved it.

Agree with those who say that Jordan didn't really do much, if anything, wrong. The guy was just insanely driven and held himself to exceptional standards and absolutely would not stand less from is team mates. His commitment was incredible, as was his talent. If you look at the very top players in any sport, they all have amazing talent but are also the hardest workers (Cristiano Ronaldo is a great example from a different sport, likewise Murray/Nadal/Federer/Djokovic). It's why he accepted Rodman's amusing pish, because Rodman worked as hard as anyone when it mattered. Likewise he could see why guys like Steve Kerr, John Paxson and Bill Wennington were key parts of the team, despite not being the most naturally gifted. They all worked as hard as anyone and filled a role, and once Jordan was finally smartened up that he couldn't do it all alone, he got that and appreciated them. But when you saw guys not taking it as seriously as he did, or not applying themselves fully, he was right on them, and wouldn't let up until the player smartened the f**k up. I can imagine that quite a few players were punted for not applying themselves to the highest standards.

Loved the shots of Jordan scoring. When he dunked he flew through the air, but he took a jump shot he seemed to hover. Some of the stills of him mid flight are astonishing and are not only among the best shots in sport, but are works of art up there with the likes of Picasso, Monet, Rembrandt, Dali, Gaugin etc. At his finest that's what Jordan was, an absolute artist. His skill level was phenomenal. The stuff he could do in the air, like faking a shot and moving the ball between his hands, is insane when you consider how little time he has to do it. Try it yourself. Jump and try to move the ball around like he does. Consider that he's not just jumping, he's aiming his shot as well. It's insane. That level of speed and skill is mental.

Another thing I loved was teams, not just the Bulls, winning games with 1 and a bit seconds left from a time out, or even less. Crazy to move with that speed and achieve that accuracy, all under intense pressure.

It must have been difficult being the most famous guy in the world, but I think Jordan handled it pretty well. He seemed genuinely nice with fans, and seemed like a decent guy with his friends, and also respected his opponents. He had an awful time from the press. The insinuations around his father's death were horrific, genuinely dreadful scumbag stuff. That Asian-American reporter seemed particularly smug in trying to make such smears stick. Horrible.

Jerry Krause, as noted, is an awful wee chodbin. The guy was openly despised by Jordan and others, and no wonder. He actually thought he was as responsible for the Bulls' success as the players and coach. This was quickly shown to be pish once he made the ludicrous decision to serve Jackson his notice and break up the team. The Bulls haven't won an NBA title since. In fact they haven't even been in a final since. Jackson went on to win 5 NBA titles, and his team was also the losing finalist twice. In fact in the 11 seasons since leaving the Bulls, his team (Lakers) made the semi finals at the very least every single time save twice. 

The team were aging, but to break them all up at the same time was madness, and was clearly some sort of nonsense power play by Krause to try and prove that he was responsible for the success of the Bulls. They should have kept Jackson and phased players out whilst at the same time bringing in new guys and grooming them to become the successors. There was plenty of talent around and I'm sure they would have had little issues trading for them.

Would have liked to see a last episode about Jordan post Bulls. 

Space Jam was a great movie.

Last point; what a soundtrack! Absolutely cracking!

Edited by DA Baracus