Netflix

Biscuits

8 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

It was alright, didn't mind the therapy, Paul Kay's character was funny, so were the prostitute and the postman.

Got sick of all the upsetting flashbacks. I understand they were needed in the first series to provide some context for the main character, so we can see he is acting an arse but still sympathise as we see that his actions are symptoms of his grief.

Still having all those flashbacks and the endless reminders of how great she was and how sad he is in the second series, though, got a bit depressing at times. There's pathos and then there's battering your audience over the head with a rolling pin of misery.

Despite those reservations, bits of it were very good and it was quite moving in parts. I'd probably still watch the third series if it gets one.

The flashbacks/late wife didn’t work for me but still enjoyed it. The overall tone strikes a chord with me and the supporting cast all get plenty to work with. Best of all is seeing Mrs Purchase.

Yeah the flashbacks aren't really needed now. I thought the camp drama director was brilliant though. Some of his lines were superb. 

Paul Kaye was decent too. 

It's clear that with Derek and now After Life, Gervais is following a sort of boilerplate template to try and make a successful emotional rollercoaster drama:

* OTT sex/knob/w**k references

* jukebox of his favourite songs/artists two or three times per episode

* Jobs for the boys (and girls), it's a game of spot the actors from his previous shows and there were a lot in this series

* loads of sweary words (let's get c*nt on the telly as much as possible)

* He's an atheist and everyone should be reminded of his thoughts on it

* Aids jokes

* you-must-cry-here scenes 

Series one nearly did it, but felt like it was just missing something to make it truly great. This series didn't go anywhere and was pretty disappointing.

After Life - I knew it wouldn't have the same impact as 1st series but I enjoyed it all the same. Some really funny moments, Annette Crosbie turning 100, Kath not getting the memo about Tony's dad and special mention for Brandy the dog, what a good girl.

Got one episode of the second series of After Life to watch and it's been decent. Mind you, maybe not the best series to watch when someone you know is going through chemo...

Hard to beat Series 1 in my view, but reading the reviews (never really should) was expecting a lot more. 

It was good, and very good at times ; but there's a heck of a lot of filler in here.

Who finds Brian/Kevin from Derek funny? I'm sure folk do and he's no doubt a pal of Gervais. Those jokes can be funny, but not when they are done over and over to long, and exaggerated fashion the way they are in this.

Lenny's partner and her son - again, just killing screen time. The over the top, inappropriate/too much information type stuff from the mum was way too long.

Ken was basically a shitter version of Bunny from Extras. 

Ray was criminally unusued. That bit in series 1 where he remembered Tony was his son/wallpaper scene genuinely had me in tears to laughter ''GAY''. 

All the best bits were with Ricky. Penelope Keith was great as well again and loved Paul Kaye's twat character - had me laughing ten times more than anything Brian, Ken or the shite James Corden tried.

The ending was a bit hack too. Won't say more for those still watching, but it was kinda ''Let's roll this all up in a minute with a very OTT bang. FIN''

He picks great music though and I really was hoping for more scenes of the beach and him with the dog.

I'll watch a third series no doubt, considering the amount of dug meat that is out there. This was always going to be very hard to beat Series 1 and it was pretty good ; but a disappointing at the amount of filler in this. ; but overall good and saved by a few.

Enjoyed the first two episodes of The Last Dance. No interest in basketball but was in awe of that Bulls team like everyone else. Jordan is an absolute baller if a bit of a p***k, but at his level I doubt you can be one without the other. Pippen deserved to get paid, travesty.

Eh spoilers ffs?

Watched Season 2 of After Life. It was more or less the same as the 1st series, Tony grieving for his dead Mrs and watching footage of her on his laptop, with the dog and the nurse the only thing stopping him from topping himself. Ok, his dad died this time as well. I want to know who was filming all the footage when Tony was filmed, as his dad was in some of them as well?

8 hours ago, Twinkle said:

Extraction. Very decent action film with Chris Hemsworth. Mixture of John Wick and Call Of Duty as he goes on the hunt for a druglords kidnapped son in Bangladesh

There's a spell about an hour in which is about as spectacular an action sequence as you're likely to see.

The movie is decent throughout but it really needed good action to elevate it. It did.

Yeah the flashbacks aren't really needed now. I thought the camp drama director was brilliant though. Some of his lines were superb. 
Paul Kaye was decent too. 

The drama director and the therapist were by far my two least favourite characters.

I think part of it with the director is that I could only see him as the arrogant twat of a caretaker in Derek, but the therapist character became ridiculous and annoying.

For a start, why the f**k would they keep paying him after all the inappropriate and unprofessional - not to mention disgracefully unhelpful to people in dire need of professional help - shite that he talked about.

He wasn’t quite as bad in series one, where he was merely bored and therefore unhelpful, but I couldn’t bare his scenes in series two.

20 hours ago, smpar said:

The drama director and the therapist were by far my two least favourite characters.

I think part of it with the director is that I could only see him as the arrogant twat of a caretaker in Derek, but the therapist character became ridiculous and annoying.

For a start, why the f**k would they keep paying him after all the inappropriate and unprofessional - not to mention disgracefully unhelpful to people in dire need of professional help - shite that he talked about.

He wasn’t quite as bad in series one, where he was merely bored and therefore unhelpful, but I couldn’t bare his scenes in series two.

I thought the therapist played by Paul Kaye was brilliant Ratty and the Nonce lol

Finished Afterlife there. Wasn't sure at the start whether it needed a second season and still don't think it did but it worked better than I thought it did. Was never gonna hit the heights of the first but it was a nice watch, compared to the fairly grim one thag S1 was at times.

Shout out for David Bradley - what an actor.