Netflix

Biscuits

Thoroughly enjoyed it. There is definitely a lull in the middle which feels like they've tried to drag it out. Someone said they wanted to see Frank and Peggy's relationship delved further into, I disagree. I thought that it was written perfectly after the shop keeper part. 

Frank obviously seen himself as a loving family man doing things to protect and provide for his family and the fear in the shopkeep even as Frank was just starting out is clear that he was an arsehole and a brute. 

After the credits is a delight. 

Watched half of it and it's pretty boring. T2 syndrome where folk are so desperate to like it that they've convinced themselves it's a classic.

The main characters are absolutely ridiculous. Bunch of old men, not far from deaths door but we are supposed to believe they are what age??

Too many stars forced into one film to trying engineer a classic. Shite.

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

T2 syndrome 

I was trying to work out how the f**k someone thought Terminator 2 was overrated (or at least specifically picked it out as a film people were desperate to love) then I googled “T2 film” just to see if I was missing something and the paper penny finally dropped.

Trainspotting 2.

Edited by The OP

Watched half of it and it's pretty boring. T2 syndrome where folk are so desperate to like it that they've convinced themselves it's a classic.

The main characters are absolutely ridiculous. Bunch of old men, not far from deaths door but we are supposed to believe they are what age??

Too many stars forced into one film to trying engineer a classic. Shite.
It might be an idea to let us know what your referring to bud.

On 30/11/2019 at 07:49, 18May1991 said:

I enjoyed it but the de-aging effects made De Niro in particular look weird which irritated me throughout. 

Agreed. They all looked like slightly weird old men throughout, apart from Hoffa's rival.

Had time to think on it now. 

The bad - as pointed out, the "de-aging" effects were distracting and they couldn't mask the fact that De Niro is an old man. Watching him try to beat up the shopkeeper in the street was cringe-worthy as you could see he had difficulty moving. There was none of the caged violent energy shown when he was a younger actor. The scene where he gingerly steps over rocks to throw a gun in the river was like watching your grandad - I was scared he was going to fall and hurt himself.  Pacino didn't have the physical limitations of De Niro, but he wasn't asked to do anything strenuous.  At times with the ensemble cast, it was like going to watch the Rolling Stones. Standard humdrum fare lit up now and again with a recognisable guitar riff - De Niro's self deprecating smile or Pacino's wide-eyed astonishment, mannerisms that we know from a dozen classic films.

The good

Whilst the women in the film were very much peripheral characters, I thought Frank's daughter was used to remind the viewer - and Frank - where normal human behaviour starts and stops. Throughout the film Frank constantly seeks her approval and it's his daughter who shames him into calling Hoffa's widow - a fantastic scene in itself.

The last half hour was, for me, superb. In fact the last hour and a half when Pacino, Pesci and De Niro started playing their actual ages was great. No need to pretend these were violent men to be scared of, but we came to see that as death approaches we all take stock of our lives and find what was really important. Frank's slide into enfeeblement is done well by De Niro. 

It’s not a hidden extension. You can find it on search function by looking for ‘The Irishman In Conversation’.

Once the film finishes it will automatically move onto this little piece.
Is that what people were refering too. Yeah I saw The Irishman In Conversation advertised on Netflix before I had watched the film. Dead easy to find.

Had time to think on it now. 

The bad - as pointed out, the "de-aging" effects were distracting and they couldn't mask the fact that De Niro is an old man. Watching him try to beat up the shopkeeper in the street was cringe-worthy as you could see he had difficulty moving. 

That was the scene that stood out to me for showing DeNiro up as a 79 yr old playing a middle aged man. It really didn't look good. They should have used a close up camera view for the assault. The rest I think they just about got away with. There were only a few scenes that the anti-aging effects just didn't look entirely natural on both DeNiro and Pacino. The colour of DeNiro's eyebrows seemed to appear quite light, then dark in the next scene but overall I really enjoyed it. It certainly didn't drag in or feel like a 3 and a half hour movie.

The bad - as pointed out, the "de-aging" effects were distracting and they couldn't mask the fact that De Niro is an old man. Watching him try to beat up the shopkeeper in the street was cringe-worthy as you could see he had difficulty moving. There was none of the caged violent energy shown when he was a younger actor. The scene where he gingerly steps over rocks to throw a gun in the river was like watching your grandad - I was scared he was going to fall and hurt himself. 

100% this. It was embarrassing, and I’m surprised that it made it into the film. The rest of it was great though. As others have said, Pesci is excellent.

After watching the conversation at the end I felt uncomfortable. Bunch of old men who probably never saw violence in their lives romanticising aged psychopaths who bullied, tortured and murdered, mainly by sending younger men out to do the deed, while they hoarded up the dosh in their retirement homes. Bad taste in the mouth though I enjoyed the film and didn't notice how long it was. 

Bunch of people who probably never saw violence in their lives romanticising aged psychopaths who bullied, tortured and murdered, mainly by sending younger men out to do the deed.

That's effectively the audience. Gangster films are romanticised and some of the best films ever made are centred around The Mob. The reality is what you said, they were horrible people that you wouldn't want to know. But they somehow still hold a fascination for the public and filmgoers. I don't see anything wrong with those 4 guys romanticising the people they portray given the real folk behind the characters have helped make those 4 multi-millionaires.