Netflix

Biscuits

Disappearance of Madeline

Binged watched the first 6 episodes of this. Best doc i seen in a long time. I was always of the thought  the creepy parents done it. And having watched the first 4 episodes just increased the thinking of this. But having watched the following episodes it makes you think are the Portuguese police as corrupt..2 episodes to go and I'm now thinking is she going to turn up at the end of this ..

10/10

Binged watched the first 6 episodes of this. Best doc i seen in a long time. I was always of the thought  the creepy parents done it. And having watched the first 4 episodes just increased the thinking of this. But having watched the following episodes it makes you think are the Portuguese police as corrupt..2 episodes to go and I'm now thinking is she going to turn up at the end of this ..
10/10

I’m 4 episodes in and really starting to enjoy it. First 2 were a bit dull but it really does start to kick in.

It just seems, so far, like a complete clusterfuck.

*Spoilers*

About the police, why they hell did the not take the car and especially maddies teddy in as evidence. The dog picks bloody/cadaver smells from it yet Kate is still always pictured holding it. Plus letting them leave the country hours after being made official suspects seems staggering to me.

Police also seem to have shot themselves in the foot. All these laws about secrecy but they are leaking stories left right and centre.

I know they are trying to be balanced in this but I really don’t get why the catholic priest and his wife are being interviewed. Coming out with statements saying they are 100% convinced they are innocent and can’t believe they are even being questioned, stating that it seems totally out of character even though they have only known them for 5 minutes seems totally outrageous to me.

8 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

I’m 4 episodes in and really starting to enjoy it. First 2 were a bit dull but it really does start to kick in.

It just seems, so far, like a complete clusterfuck.

*Spoilers*

About the police, why they hell did the not take the car and especially maddies teddy in as evidence. The dog picks bloody/cadaver smells from it yet Kate is still always pictured holding it. Plus letting them leave the country hours after being made official suspects seems staggering to me.

Police also seem to have shot themselves in the foot. All these laws about secrecy but they are leaking stories left right and centre.

I know they are trying to be balanced in this but I really don’t get why the catholic priest and his wife are being interviewed. Coming out with statements saying they are 100% convinced they are innocent and can’t believe they are even being questioned, stating that it seems totally out of character even though they have only known them for 5 minutes seems totally outrageous to me.

Just finished watching and the last 2 episodes very dark. ..brilliant viewing and one that can change your mind over 

10 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

Baffled that anyone could possibly believe After Life is anywhere near the same level as The Office or Extras. It's painfully clear that Gervais (who I'm actually a massive fan of) really struggles without the contributions of Stephen Merchant as a co-writer. For me, as with Derek, there is absolutely no subtlety in the script. Instead of talking heads routinely telling us that Derek is a nice person, we have numerous characters routinely telling Tony that he is a nice person. We require constant reminders from Tony that his wife has died and he is very sad and he wants to kill himself. For me, it didn't ring true as a particularly realistic depiction of depression. Somebody is saying something half-poignant, so let's play some slow instrumental music over it to make sure that the viewer is left in no doubt that this is VERY sad. This Tony guy seems very grumpy at the moment, so let's insert another flashback of him playing an irritating prank on his wife to make sure that the viewer knows he used to be hilarious and that they had a fun relationship where she called him a c**t and a fat twat all the time.

Less is more, but I'm not sure whether Ricky fully grasps that notion. 

The junkie storyline comes to a very unsatisfactory end. It isn't mentioned again. He isn't found out or punished for what he did. Therefore, what is Gervais trying to say about the decision that Tony makes? Does he approve of it?

On the plus side, there are some very nice moments, good performances all-round, and I especially enjoyed the scenes with his father at the care home. I shed a tear on more than one occasion. So I'm not saying that this is bad. I actually thought it was pretty decent and an overall improvement on Derek. But his best work of all time? Absolutely not. Worthy of the widespread praise? Not quite. 6/10

You're absolutely right. I watched and quite enjoyed the first episode, particularly Diane Morgan and Ashley Jenson despite being underused, but I find myself in no way interested in watching any more.

On 14/03/2019 at 12:58, Christophe said:

:lol:

That thing that happened in episode 4 was so bloody weird and out of place and badly thought out that I give it a few of the mental points from Derek but yeah mostly it was just annoying and mediocre and one dimensional and tragic. 

Speaking of which, you engaged on a lengthy red-dot ‘war’ with another poster on an anonymous football forum. 

All opinions null and void.

10/10
Watched ep1 with the wife last night, did not enjoy.
She was told in no uncertain terms that she should watch this on her own.
Maybe its just because I have absolutely no interest in the story at all that I'm not into it.

4 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Speaking of which, you engaged on a lengthy red-dot ‘war’ with another poster on an anonymous football forum. 

All opinions null and void.

Absolutely fuming about someone else’s opinion on a tv program...:lol:

1 hour ago, Christophe said:

Absolutely fuming about someone else’s opinion on a tv program...:lol:

I actually thought the programme was okay, but not as good as most on here. Your hatred of Gervais blinding you to any sort of impartiality (particularly when you fancy yourself as a bit of a film/TV amateur reviewer) is a bit pathetic though.

I actually thought the programme was okay, but not as good as most on here. Your hatred of Gervais blinding you to any sort of impartiality (particularly when you fancy yourself as a bit of a film/TV amateur reviewer) is a bit pathetic though.
Ooft[emoji1]

Baffled that anyone could possibly believe After Life is anywhere near the same level as The Office or Extras. It's painfully clear that Gervais (who I'm actually a massive fan of) really struggles without the contributions of Stephen Merchant as a co-writer. For me, as with Derek, there is absolutely no subtlety in the script. Instead of talking heads routinely telling us that Derek is a nice person, we have numerous characters routinely telling Tony that he is a nice person. We require constant reminders from Tony that his wife has died and he is very sad and he wants to kill himself. For me, it didn't ring true as a particularly realistic depiction of depression. Somebody is saying something half-poignant, so let's play some slow instrumental music over it to make sure that the viewer is left in no doubt that this is VERY sad. This Tony guy seems very grumpy at the moment, so let's insert another flashback of him playing an irritating prank on his wife to make sure that the viewer knows he used to be hilarious and that they had a fun relationship where she called him a c**t and a fat twat all the time.
Less is more, but I'm not sure whether Ricky fully grasps that notion. 
The junkie storyline comes to a very unsatisfactory end. It isn't mentioned again. He isn't found out or punished for what he did. Therefore, what is Gervais trying to say about the decision that Tony makes? Does he approve of it?
On the plus side, there are some very nice moments, good performances all-round, and I especially enjoyed the scenes with his father at the care home. I shed a tear on more than one occasion. So I'm not saying that this is bad. I actually thought it was pretty decent and an overall improvement on Derek. But his best work of all time? Absolutely not. Worthy of the widespread praise? Not quite. 6/10

I can see all of that to be fair.

I loved it but probably touched me more from a personal viewpoint. I could see the argument that objectively it’s not a masterpiece.

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

You’ve manufactured my “hatred” of Gervais on the basis of my not liking this show? Well played son, well played.

Just doesn’t resonate with me, no idea why this has rattled a few people on here, perhaps that shows where the bias is.

15 minutes ago, Christophe said:

You’ve manufactured my “hatred” of Gervais on the basis of my not liking this show? Well played son, well played.

Just doesn’t resonate with me, no idea why this has rattled a few people on here, perhaps that shows where the bias is.

“Son” :lol:

Just about finished with the McCann docu. It's been pretty decent. The dugs were great. Boghead Ranter's description of the Portuguese journos is spot on. The Scottish millionaire benefactor and his enormous sofa and how he pronounces Madeleine is getting on my tits now.

Edited by MSU

Went in to the Madeline documentary thinking the parents definitely done it, having watched all 8 episodes I’m no longer convinced, however they must take part of the blame. Really really sickening the amount of paedophilia taking place around the world. That’s the one thing that stuck with me about this documentary, the amount of paedophilic activity that goes uncovered.

Just about finished with the McCann docu. It's been pretty decent. The dugs were great. Boghead Ranter's description of the Portuguese journos is spot on. The Scottish millionaire benefactor and his enormous sofa and how he pronounces Madeleine is getting on my tits now.

The Scottish millionaires son really pissed me off. Pretty much coming out and saying that he didn’t care if he ruined people’s lives as long as they found maddie was outrageous