Netflix

Biscuits

On 3/11/2019 at 12:28, steelmen said:

Blitzed through this at the weekend. Really enjoyed it.

It was strange not having Ferarri or Mercedes involved in it but it allowed them to highlight all the other teams and gave them some spotlight.

He's threw his chances of a championship away but I came out with a lot of respect for Riccardo and a lot more dislike for Verstappen. 

The digs between Red Bull and Renault were fun to watch, esp after Riccardo moving and them stopping the engine contract.

I actually thought it benefited from not being The Lewis and Seb show. These two would have sucked the life out of it. Just watched the Monaco episode, Red Bull and Williams - excellent!

21 hours ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Finished After Life earlier. Easily the best work from Gervais since The Office. Very funny and sad moments throughout.

me too, and totally agree....watched whilst pretty hungover on Sunday so was a bit emotional.  

Although I must say I don't think my missus would have reacted so well at all the practical jokes he plays on his...

i get they were trying to show the 'fun' relationship they both had but I'd have got a boot in the baws if I'd pulled any of those stunts!

Checked in here yesterday for no particular reason and ended up watching the first two episodes of After Life last night with my wife.

Both very impressed and will probably blitz through the rest in the next couple of days. We've both lost people recently so it's extra touching, but really entertaining as well.

Cheers guys!

On 11/03/2019 at 19:53, Dons_1988 said:

Read a few reviews of after life today. Quite a few not that kind on it.

Although it is clear a few of them really hate gervais.

Gritted (grat?) my teeth and watched this....fuuuuuucking hell, worse than Derek, imagine watching Derek but editing out all the gloriously weird moments and having an atheist from Reading shout c**t in your face for 3 hours.

Edited by Christophe

:lol:

That thing that happened in episode 4 was so bloody weird and out of place and badly thought out that I give it a few of the mental points from Derek but yeah mostly it was just annoying and mediocre and one dimensional and tragic. 

Watched "The Bodyguard" over the last week or so with the missus. Think it was a BBC series but is on Netflix here. Thought initially it was going with the clichèd "Scottish guy with alcohol and mentalness problems" but, as usual, I was wrong. Was enjoyable enough.

Edited by Ross.

6 hours ago, Christophe said:

:lol:

That thing that happened in episode 4 was so bloody weird and out of place and badly thought out that I give it a few of the mental points from Derek but yeah mostly it was just annoying and mediocre and one dimensional and tragic. 

giphy.gif

Baffled that anyone could possibly believe After Life is anywhere near the same level as The Office or Extras. It's painfully clear that Gervais (who I'm actually a massive fan of) really struggles without the contributions of Stephen Merchant as a co-writer. For me, as with Derek, there is absolutely no subtlety in the script. Instead of talking heads routinely telling us that Derek is a nice person, we have numerous characters routinely telling Tony that he is a nice person. We require constant reminders from Tony that his wife has died and he is very sad and he wants to kill himself. For me, it didn't ring true as a particularly realistic depiction of depression. Somebody is saying something half-poignant, so let's play some slow instrumental music over it to make sure that the viewer is left in no doubt that this is VERY sad. This Tony guy seems very grumpy at the moment, so let's insert another flashback of him playing an irritating prank on his wife to make sure that the viewer knows he used to be hilarious and that they had a fun relationship where she called him a c**t and a fat twat all the time.

Less is more, but I'm not sure whether Ricky fully grasps that notion. 

The junkie storyline comes to a very unsatisfactory end. It isn't mentioned again. He isn't found out or punished for what he did. Therefore, what is Gervais trying to say about the decision that Tony makes? Does he approve of it?

On the plus side, there are some very nice moments, good performances all-round, and I especially enjoyed the scenes with his father at the care home. I shed a tear on more than one occasion. So I'm not saying that this is bad. I actually thought it was pretty decent and an overall improvement on Derek. But his best work of all time? Absolutely not. Worthy of the widespread praise? Not quite. 6/10