Netflix

Biscuits

Watched After Life. Beautiful and tragic series, took me on a serious emotional roller coaster.

I watched the first three this morning. A few laugh out loud moments and very enjoyable. I wonder if shows like it are of any use to anyone who has just lost someone?
I've just watched the first 2 there, and honestly, its absolutely beautiful.
A couple of proper laugh out loud and even in only 2 episodes I've nearly burst out greeting.
Looks like its going to be absolutely top drawer stuff.

I've just watched the first 2 there, and honestly, its absolutely beautiful.
A couple of proper laugh out loud and even in only 2 episodes I've nearly burst out greeting.
Looks like its going to be absolutely top drawer stuff.

This.

It’s brilliant and incredibly sad at the same time.

Formula 1 - Drive to Survive. Loving it. An in-depth look at the 2018 season covering many of the rivalries and wee battles. Some great moments.
Watched first 4 on Friday and good to see the background stories we only hear rumours of.

I watched the first three this morning. A few laugh out loud moments and very enjoyable. I wonder if shows like it are of any use to anyone who has just lost someone?
You never know. It's been 20 years since I lost someone. I couldn't watch Casually and such like for a few years afterwards.

Nice to see After Life receiving the good reviews it deserves. Think you either love or hate Gervais and a lot of people dismiss his work instantly.

It was really good I thought (even though I'm a Gervais fanboy). Really sad subject matter/s but they were dealt with respectfully and also gave food for thought. Some truly sad moments mixed with some really funny ones as well. I thought the supporting cast were very good as well.

For a program that dealt with some hard issues I thought it was very easy viewing strangely enough. I expect it'll be a stand alone series and we won't get a second. Gervais is actually a decent actor that he doesn't always get the praise he deserves. A really good performance from him.

5 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Nice to see After Life receiving the good reviews it deserves. Think you either love or hate Gervais and a lot of people dismiss his work instantly.

It was really good I thought (even though I'm a Gervais fanboy). Really sad subject matter/s but they were dealt with respectfully and also gave food for thought. Some truly sad moments mixed with some really funny ones as well. I thought the supporting cast were very good as well.

For a program that dealt with some hard issues I thought it was very easy viewing strangely enough. I expect it'll be a stand alone series and we won't get a second. Gervais is actually a decent actor that he doesn't always get the praise he deserves. A really good performance from him.

I'm not a big fan of Gervais tbh, but my little brother insisted I give it a go.

So glad I did.  Some genuine laugh out moments, some moments where I swear someone started chopping onions nearby.

Think he has started writing (or is planning) a second season.

I'm not a big fan of Gervais tbh, but my little brother insisted I give it a go.
So glad I did.  Some genuine laugh out moments, some moments where I swear someone started chopping onions nearby.
Think he has started writing (or is planning) a second season.
I can't see where he goes with it from here. Would give it a watch though.

Beautiful piece of work by Gervais.  The use of well known actors such as Wilkinson and Connaty shouldn't work, but it does.  

Am I picking it up right that Tony buys just one tin of dog food at a time because he can't see further than that?

Great dynamic between Tony and his brother-in-law.  There is such kindness and sadness in a lot of the characters.  Gervais is actually pretty clever isn't he?

2/10 

Finished after life yesterday, thought it was excellent.

I am a big Gervais fan but a couple of minor criticisms would be him recycling one or two jokes from his early stand up days and he clearly shoehorned some of his own world views into it (the conversation about religion and after life in the newspaper office is almost word for word things he's said in tv interviews). I agree with a lot of his world view, particularly on religion but forcing it in here comes across a bit arrogant IMO. 

Despite that, I loved it.  Having been through my own mental struggles it was all too real at times, I saw a lot of myself in Tony and it had me welling up on several occasions.  The whole dynamic of how mental health issues can affect not just the individual but everyone around them, including those trying to help him was very accurate and paints the picture of just how difficult it is.    

A really difficult watch at times but brilliantly done. 

I am a big Gervais fan but a couple of minor criticisms would be him recycling one or two jokes from his early stand up days and he clearly shoehorned some of his own world views into it (the conversation about religion and after life in the newspaper office is almost word for word things he's said in tv interviews). I agree with a lot of his world view, particularly on religion but forcing it in here comes across a bit arrogant IMO. 
Despite that, I loved it.  Having been through my own mental struggles it was all too real at times, I saw a lot of myself in Tony and it had me welling up on several occasions.  The whole dynamic of how mental health issues can affect not just the individual but everyone around them, including those trying to help him was very accurate and paints the picture of just how difficult it is.    
As soon as I saw the newspaper headline about the 90 year old granny getting mugged, I knew what was coming. He did put his atheist views in again but I think the show had a real place for them this time though. He was clearly struggling with the loss but on top of that he firmly believes there is no afterlife and that adds to it somewhat. I'm an atheist myself and that makes losing someone harder for me. I think religion is a lot of shite but at least believing in something else gives those kind of people some kind of comfort when they lose a loved one.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:
12 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

As soon as I saw the newspaper headline about the 90 year old granny getting mugged, I knew what was coming. He did put his atheist views in again but I think the show had a real place for them this time though. He was clearly struggling with the loss but on top of that he firmly believes there is no afterlife and that adds to it somewhat. I'm an atheist myself and that makes losing someone harder for me. I think religion is a lot of shite but at least believing in something else gives those kind of people some kind of comfort when they lose a loved one.

Yeah I do agree with all of that, and I agree with the sentiment of everything he says in it.  I suppose it just broke the illusion of Tony as I knew it was basically word for word Gervais talking at some points.

On 3/3/2019 at 19:58, MixuFixit said:

Really liked this, I hope it leads to some follow ups with different criminals.

I think that case definitely made it easier to make the programme. A lot of different strands and characters with their own part of the story. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Now watching "Dogs of Berlin". It has football and crime. But it is in German. Enjoying it so far. Dunno if it is on Netflix outside of the German speaking areas. Subtitles are available.

On 10/03/2019 at 08:49, NewBornBairn said:

Formula 1 - Drive to Survive. Loving it. An in-depth look at the 2018 season covering many of the rivalries and wee battles. Some great moments.

Blitzed through this at the weekend. Really enjoyed it.

It was strange not having Ferarri or Mercedes involved in it but it allowed them to highlight all the other teams and gave them some spotlight.

He's threw his chances of a championship away but I came out with a lot of respect for Riccardo and a lot more dislike for Verstappen. 

The digs between Red Bull and Renault were fun to watch, esp after Riccardo moving and them stopping the engine contract.