The Easily Movable Object vs The Entirely Stoppable Force

If our friends from Angus don't win this then, I'm afraid, they're never going to win a game at this level. Right now we haven't scored in 425 minutes of Championship football and, to be honest, I've pretty much consigned us to the playoffs.

Team who score first will win. Which means the best we can hope for is a 0-0 :(

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be the big breakthrough City have been waiting for.Really if you cant beat us now you never will.

In all honesty im dreaming of SA picking up the MOM award in March having come thru a successful February.He did it in November..lets hope he does it now.Final of IC Cup, QF of SC and 2 positive league results.Would raise my glass to that even if it means playoffs in May.

17 hours ago, CITY1974 said:

Your guaranteed 2 goals in the first ten minutes it's the City Way . A gesture of friendship we bestow to all our opponents. Then we find our feet and usually play away none too bad emoji6.png

This  sadly ! .......................Unless Paddy gets a game. :whistle

The signing of Andy Stirling has cheered me up a fair bit. Still a bit worried about this especially with Brechin signing two very decent strikers who could build a decent link with each other.

Would go:-
Gallagher
Smith Dowie Barr Dick
Hutton Carswell
Froxy Walsh Stirling
Nisbet

I actually think our lack of goal scoring threat in recent weeks has been linked to missing both Full Backs who offer quality support going forward - That could be an issue again. The 3 behind the striker though[emoji7]

I’d play

Gallagher

Smith dowie Hill dick

Stirling Hutton carswell walsh

Nisbet Russell

Froxylias as sub, Barr giving the ball away a lot, getting caught under headers, a bit rash, not as composed as I expected, Hill I think, is more commanding in and around the box

16 minutes ago, optimistic said:

I’d play

Gallagher

Smith dowie Hill dick

Stirling Hutton carswell walsh

Nisbet Russell

Froxylias as sub, Barr giving the ball away a lot, getting caught under headers, a bit rash, not as composed as I expected, Hill I think, is more commanding in and around the box

Given the absolute nightmare Dill had for the goal I'd be surprised to see Mango dropped over him.

Given the absolute nightmare Dill had for the goal I'd be surprised to see Mango dropped over him.

Every player, front to back is prone to a mistake, and dill did form a decent partnership with dowie first part of the season when Barr was out, but Stevie made sure Barr was right back in,

Just now, optimistic said:

Every player, front to back is prone to a mistake, and dill did form a decent partnership with dowie first part of the season when Barr was out, but Stevie made sure Barr was right back in,

Mango's only missed two league games. One through suspension (Brechin, November), and one through an injury flaring up on Astro early in the season (QOTS, August). Outside the league he's only missed one iirc (against Killie in July) because of his brother's wedding.

There was a spell (after Dowie's red card, and less than impressive start to life at the Rock) where Dill and Mango played well together. But then Stevie decided to move Mango into midfield to cover for Carsy being out - and that really didn't work!

I like Hill, and Saturday was the first time where he's really made a mistake that's cost us, but our strongest central-defensive pairing is definitely Dowie and Barr at the minute.

The defence doesn't need shuffled. Aside from our inability to defend set pieces, this is probably the best defence we've had in this division (collectively, not necessarily individually). It's the front 4 we need to get right and keep them playing consistently.  We have 16 points more than Brechin and we've scored 2 goals less - that proves the defence is doing a decent job and if we had someone who could put the ball in the net we could be pushing Queens and Morton at the moment. Obviously the fitness of some such as Froxylias, Nade and Handling are a bit up in the air, but for me we need to start putting faith in players in those front positions and giving them a run of games together.

We definitely have been better defensively this year, maybe I’m just focusing on Barr too much, couldn’t agree more that it’s up front where our troubles lie.

Perhaps dill played more pre season so8, I just think he looked good with dowie, perhaps memory not as good as it used to be [emoji849]

Is it just me or does anyone else think that the midfield is a very significant problem area for us ?  Carswell hasn't looked nearly as effective as the second-half of last season - perhaps not all his doing, given what has been alongside him - whilst Hutton, Wilson and Gallagher have simply proved utterly inadequate.  All three have recently spent such long periods chasing down opposing midfielders that they could have been facing matadors.  The jury is still out on Handling, but.....

And this matters , because we have resorted to hoofball from defence (step forward Craig Barr) because we simply can't pass or retain the ball in midfield.  Service to front men dwindles to virtually hee-haw and likewise chances around the opposing box.  For me it was highly significant when Froxy appeared on Saturday that we were finally able to hold the ball for a few seconds and build some moves.

So, to this Saturday.  Working clockwise, I'd have Carswell, Stirling, Walsh and Froxy in a midfield diamond with Russell and Nisbet up front.  And if it works, Hutton, despite a new contract extension and being a Durrant pick becomes for now a bench player, as do Wilson, Gallagher and Handling.

If not, then answers on a postcard.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that Walsh could do a Stanton-esque job in midfield.  I could be misremembering here, but I'm sure there was a period where I'm sure he played there for Rangers Reserves (under Durrant) when I used to go to games at Murray Park, so it's not totally alien to him.

Playing with a midfield duo of Carsy (solid and disciplined, but not going to drive with the ball) and Hutton (really good with time and space, less good without it, not going to drive with the ball) is only going to end one way.

11 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Is it just me or does anyone else think that the midfield is a very significant problem area for us ?  Carswell hasn't looked nearly as effective as the second-half of last season - perhaps not all his doing, given what has been alongside him - whilst Hutton, Wilson and Gallagher have simply proved utterly inadequate.  All three have recently spent such long periods chasing down opposing midfielders that they could have been facing matadors.  The jury is still out on Handling, but.....

And this matters , because we have resorted to hoofball from defence (step forward Craig Barr) because we simply can't pass or retain the ball in midfield.  Service to front men dwindles to virtually hee-haw and likewise chances around the opposing box.  For me it was highly significant when Froxy appeared on Saturday that we were finally able to hold the ball for a few seconds and build some moves.

So, to this Saturday.  Working clockwise, I'd have Carswell, Stirling, Walsh and Froxy in a midfield diamond with Russell and Nisbet up front.  And if it works, Hutton, despite a new contract extension and being a Durrant pick becomes for now a bench player, as do Wilson, Gallagher and Handling.

If not, then answers on a postcard.

I'm liking the cut of yer jib here.

Diamond formations 8)

Come on Stevie & Durrant surprise us

Archived