Scottish Football Historical Archive

FairWeatherFan

As you say, extra traffic put the site over the monthly limit. I now have unlimited bandwidth so the site will stay up.

One issue I do have is that webpages are not showing correctly. Some spaces as well as apostrophes (eg in 'A' ) are showing as a ? in a small black diamond. I create the pages on Word but cannot fathom how to correct it. Any pointers please!

1 hour ago, sfha said:

As you say, extra traffic put the site over the monthly limit. I now have unlimited bandwidth so the site will stay up.

One issue I do have is that webpages are not showing correctly. Some spaces as well as apostrophes (eg in 'A' ) are showing as a ? in a small black diamond. I create the pages on Word but cannot fathom how to correct it. Any pointers please!

Basically it's an issue with the character encoding of the page - the encoding doesn't contain those curly quotes, so it's not able to display those characters. You've three options:

1. Replace them with non-curly/straight quotes (might be better just using a normal text editor like Notepad++ or see if you can change the settings in Word to not use smart quotes)
  2. Replace them with an HTML entity in the HTML code, e.g. ‘A’  https://www.w3.org/wiki/Common_HTML_entities_used_for_typography
  3. Change the character encoding of the page by replacing <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" > in the head to <meta charset="UTF-8"/>

BTW, I'm curious how much bandwidth was used in a month? (on what is a fairly basic site without that many images)

Edited by Ginaro

Cheers, mate.

I tried out your suggestion on the Glasgow & WOS League page using notepad to alter the quotes and it appears to have worked. I'll amend the other files accordingly over time but as I want to re-populate the site as quickly as possible these will be as and when. Funnily this only happened after I upgraded my hosting package, co-incidence?

I was on the basic 5Gb but this appears to be eaten up due to me uploading a lot of files to it. I'm now on an unlimited package so the site will now stay up.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey @sfha

I noticed that Dalbeattie Star's first team withdrew from the EoSFL just prior to the beginning of the 2009-10 season. There's even a mention that their SoS reserve was being disbanded with the first team taking their place in the SoSFL for the forthcoming season in that year's SNLR.

In both the 2009-10 & 2010-11 SNLR they are credited as Dalbeattie Star A on their league tables. On your website for both tables they are credited as Dalbeattie Star reserves, the same for the South League Cup in 2010-11.

I'll amend these later today.

I'm still working on the page of the North Caledonian FA and its predecessors.

From what I can discern the North of Scotland Junior FA/League were renamed the 2nd XI FA/League in 1935 prompting the formation of a new North of Scotland Junior League which also included some Morayshire clubs and existed until the war. An earlier Ross-shire Junior League also existed during the early 1930s. The updated page will also feature an extensive list of the various league and cup winners.

Edited by sfha

As an aside, I, and according to several posts in the forums others, have always been intrigued by the NCL's status.

It was formed as the NOS Junior League in 1896 and contained a mixture of Junior clubs and 'A' sides of senior clubs, similar to the setups in the south of Scotlland.

It was retitled as 2ndXI League in 1935... was this actually a response to the Scottish Junior FA's ruling on banning junior XIs associated with senior clubs? If the A sides had left there may have not been enough clubs to make the Association and League viable. A new NOS Junior League that formed at the time was questioned by the press who themselves deemed there weren't enough local Junior clubs to warrant 2 leagues.

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

@sfha

Alright, I was looking over the West Junior League tables and for 2004-05 the Super Premier table seems to have been placed in alphabetical order.

image.png.a9b526bd338e6aa7ab9118308d920721.png

Good spot! I'll correct this after my return to civilisation on Tuesday! The correct table is of course...

Pollok 22 15 4 3 45 23 49
Arthurlie 22 14 2 6 42 21 44
Auchinleck Talbot 22 10 7 5 43 36 37
Maryhill 22 10 5 7 40 32 35
Larkhall Thistle 22 10 3 9 40 37 33
Bellshill Athletic 22 9 4 9 36 26 31
Cumnock 22 8 3 11 50 49 27
Renfrew 22 7 6 9 33 42 27
Glenafton Athletic 22 5 8 9 28 35 23
Johnstone Burgh 22 6 5 11 27 50 23
Kilwinning Rangers 22 5 7 10 37 44 22
Troon 22 2 8 12 23 49 14

18 hours ago, stanley said:

1990-91 Tayside League - you've got Elmwood listed in the first division instead of St. Joseph's.

Cheers, m8.

Does anyone has the correct divisional membership, or better still final tables of the 84-85 season?

Any other corrections please let me know and they'll be fixed in the next day or so.

Edited by sfha

2009-10 North region - Whitehills should be bottom of division 2 with 5 points.

Not a big issue but a couple of typos e.g. I saw Deveronvale and Parkside show up in a couple of tables in the 2000s in the north region instead of Deveronside and Parkvale.

There's also a Fraserburgh in the 1962-63 Aberdeen & District Junior League. Is that correct? 

5 hours ago, stanley said:

2009-10 North region - Whitehills should be bottom of division 2 with 5 points.

Not a big issue but a couple of typos e.g. I saw Deveronvale and Parkside show up in a couple of tables in the 2000s in the north region instead of Deveronside and Parkvale.

There's also a Fraserburgh in the 1962-63 Aberdeen & District Junior League. Is that correct? 

Fraserburgh should of course read Aberdeen EE, the other typos will be corrected tomorrow.

Any others please let me know

Brian

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/06/2021 at 15:00, stanley said:

2010-11 west region is missing Stonehouse Violet. They finished 5th in Central Division Two with 35 points. They also took part in 2011-12 but withdrew during the season.

Duly corrected!