Amber Machine vrs Duffy’s Duffers

4 minutes ago, andylivi1 said:

They didn’t play great, I’m struggling to name a player that had that good a game but the effort was 100% there and they never gave up, that’s what I saw anyway. 

Josh Mullin is clearly lacking in comfidence after sitting on the bench and not having much game time recently, the way the game went it was hard for us to get near them, Thompson tried his best to get the ball down and play, it just didn’t happen for him. 

Well one player that played out of his skin was Scott Pittman. Actually this was probably one game where we should have played four at the back.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep our players were a bit off the pace after the fortnight without a game and little training either, can't fault them for effort though, they pushed up again after we conceded and never gave up. Thought we did well enough getting a few shots at goal in the first half and the Morton keeper had a couple of good saves, 2nd half though Morton were the better team and but for a bit of composure may have won the game, their final ball was pretty poor.

Hopefully after getting this game to get the cobwebs off we'll be a bit better against Falkirk on Sat.

I’ve been watching Morton since 1995 and I’d love to know how many points we have thrown away in the last five minutes of games. I’m that used to it, it doesn’t even bother me any more.

Just now, Durnford said:

Well one player that played out of his skin was Scott Pittman. Actually this was probably one game where we should have played four at the back.

Almost scored too when he got the ball and shot past their keeper, only for a Morton player to block it from going in the inside left post, may have been better cutting it across goal right enough but good effort on chasing down the ball and winning it from the Morton player.

Certainly a far more frustrating game than the solid enough result would suggest. The combination of the red card, nicking a goal and then yet more Duffyball decisions contributing to an inexplicable leveler has understandably led to an absolute meltdown from The Famous fanbase. I'm actually quite philosophical about it though, for the following reasons: 

- If it had ended in a 0-0 stalemate either before or after the red card then I don't think that either side could have had too many complaints, other than possibly for our penalty shout in the first half

- As follows from the above, Morton matched and were IMO slightly better than Livingston on their own ground even before the red card decision. Tiffoney in particular was outstanding again and seems to be reveling in the role of a converted wide player running at cumbersome centre-backs.

- The two points dropped this evening would only have been useful in terms of confirming a play-off spot. Our prospects of finishing 2nd were already sunk by Duffy's Baird-McHugh up front nonsense in the previous two league games; finishing either 3rd or 4th in the table is worth some prize money alone. But given our performance this evening and in general since the turn of the year, I'd expect us to qualify for the play-offs even with Duffyball holding the squad back - and a point this evening actually keeps us well on track for that outcome. There's more pressure than you'd like on our game at Dunfermline on Saturday now, but there's no reason why we shouldn't get a good result there with the team that played tonight. 

2 hours ago, IainMorton said:

I’ve been watching Morton since 1995 and I’d love to know how many points we have thrown away in the last five minutes of games. I’m that used to it, it doesn’t even bother me any more.

If it weren't for Morton gaining about a dozen points that the opposition had 'thrown away' in the last five minutes of games - including from 2-0 up as well as 1-0 up in injury time - then we wouldn't have clinched La Decima in 14/15. Conceding late goals is not unusually commonplace at Morton - it happens to pretty much every team in equal measure, so get off your cross about it, 

I think Duffy was trying to play us at our own game in the first half with the amount of early hit long balls they were playing, don't think it was doing the wee forwards much good having high balls hit towards our big CB's though, 2nd half they got more joy running at us down the wings, final balls and shots could've been better right enough.

Don't think we were as bad as the Falkirk game after having a lay off though, Gaston had to make a few saves and was dealing with a lot of balls into the box from set pieces, but it was a frustrating game to watch as both teams couldn't break one another down enough to score, until right at the end.

11 hours ago, Scosha said:

Morton :lol: 

Can’t wait for this season to be over. 

Why?

As seasons go and I have been there since 1965 we have been fairly decent and played some good football when the correct 11 have been put out.

Last night I was fairly happy with the overall outcome, elated when we took the lead and depressed when the equaliser when in. Why Duffy continued with the Baird substitution plan is a real let-down but maybe it shows the limitations of the squad.

I feel it is important to get the 3rd spot thus gaining home advantage in the first playoff game but not essential as we are solid away from home.

Livingston are a problem for us and a puzzle we need to solve. Their strong-armed defending must be breached with speed and skill. Last night I thought Tiff and Oliver did well but need more midfield backup. Not Ross’s best game I hope the quicker dryer playing surfaces will help and better officiating with earlier yellows to give them some thought.

Up and on all is not lost. ( if the Ross loan includes the play-offs)

I think Duffy was trying to play us at our own game in the first half with the amount of early hit long balls they were playing, don't think it was doing the wee forwards much good having high balls hit towards our big CB's though, 2nd half they got more joy running at us down the wings, final balls and shots could've been better right enough.

It's known as Duffyball, is pointless, frustrating as f**k and as expected, almost always a waste of time.

I thought Morton just edged it last night. I was a long way away but that penalty claim in the first half seemed a decent shout. The two teams cancelled each other out and Livi looked a little rusty - our forward minded players were just a little off each other’s wavelength at times. The pitch also contributed to a fairly average spectacle.

No complaints about the red. Two tired challenges that were rightfully yellows. I also agreed with the yellow for Harkins. He ran along the line looking for a leg to fall over (which was bonkers as he had a great scoring chance).

Superb effort again from our boys. We can never fault the work rate of this team. Great desire to keep going with 10 men and get a last kick equaliser.

i echo the bafflement above at why Duffy persisted with the Baird change after you’d scored the opener.  I would have brought him on immediately we went down to 10 as his energy and running would stretch our 10 men and he’d create space for others to score. Once you got the goal you should have stuck with what you had or taken a forward off for a defensive minded player.

Delighted with the point. Hopefully Robinson and/or Cadden will be back for Saturday as I presume Byrnes suspension will kick in straight away?

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

It's known as Duffyball, is pointless, frustrating as f**k and as expected, almost always a waste of time.

We're 4th in the league. Frustrating sometimes, but hardly pointless.

We're 4th in the league. Frustrating sometimes, but hardly pointless.

We don't always play Duffyball. Surprise surprise we get results when we actually play football. Too often, we go back to Duffyball and look what happens.

2 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

We don't always play Duffyball. Surprise surprise we get results when we actually play football. Too often, we go back to Duffyball and look what happens.

Always frustrating considering the options we have up front and don’t have a genuine target man. Or defenders who can ping decent passes that don’t go out for a goal kick/throw in most of the time...

Thought the Morton goal had a hint of offside about it but didn't see the Livi player on the line at the time so can't complain. Can't complain about the red either, suppose it's better missing Byrne on Saturday rather than when we've got Hardie and Thompson away on international duty. 

Was a scout at the game with his eye on Ross and/or Tiffoney, had his iPad out for a video any time the ball was on that side and was out the door when Ross came off. As long as he didn't have his eye on any of our players I'm happy, and even if he did I doubt he was very impressed. 

That goal from Longridge was massive and keeps the gap at 8 points, hopefully United haven't actually got it together and we can hold onto 2nd. Although tbf I wouldn't give a shiny f**k if we managed to slip down to 5th, still been a brilliant and unexpected season. 

I'd be absolutely fecking gutted if we slipped down to 5th, after so long in the top 4 it would be a right downer dropping out of the play offs now. Would also impact on next season the amount of prize money we'd drop, think it's about 60K a placing from 5th to 2nd.

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

This is a myth. We played direct football at Inverness a few weeks ago and it paid off - Tiffoney got on the end of a long ball that Inverness couldn't deal with for the opening goal. The idea that a team only wins when 'actually playing football' (undefined, but usually based on 'get the baw on the deck!' yammering) in this division really isn't supported by the facts. Long balls placed between the channels of Livingston's back three was an effective tactic last night; far more than the twenty-five minutes and twenty-five million slow passes played while they were defending with ten men, which struggled to create more than a couple of clear-cut chances. 

13 hours ago, Paisley Ton said:

Why Duffy continued with the Baird substitution plan is a real let-down but maybe it shows the limitations of the squad.

Aye... I'm fairly sure Andy Murdoch may have died if he played another 4 minutes...

It shows that Jim Duffy is a moron and that's all it shows. 

Archived