Queens v Dundee United

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great result all things considered. We have been rotten since Christmas and have needed a win on the road. Hopefully with three home games in quick succession we can at least eat away at the points deficit we have and can start putting some pressure on for finishing second. Would like there to be at least a little bit of interest in the final part of the season rather than it just petering out into nothingness. Credit to Matty Smith, he was good against Livi and followed it up with a cracking brace tonight. 

For me, the best thing is that we came back from behind. Usually as soon as the opposition score, the team just gives up and lose any self-belief.

Can anyone remember the last time we came from behind to win?

Good result for Utd. Be interesting to see how we fair against queens on Saturday. Might be too late for your title aspects but it potentially puts you in second at least if you win all your games which could be a massive difference in the play offs

Just now, MeadowArab said:

For me, the best thing is that we came back from behind. Usually as soon as the opposition score, the team just gives up and lose any self-belief.

44 minutes ago, chazas_ said:

Title challenge BACK ON

Even if you win the 3 games in hand you think Saints will drop  8 points in the last quarter something they have not done thus far in any quarter seriously ? Can see you ending up in second place which is still a tough call given you will play every three to four days till the end of season.

3 minutes ago, MeadowArab said:

I cheated and looked it up. Falkirk away in the playoff last year. And strangely also at Morton in the round before it.

Confirms what we already knew that without Dobbie our team is relegation play-off material.
However, even before tonight, we have only beaten Brechin, Dumbarton and Falkirk at home.  One home win over a full-time team all season. And that was before the clocks changed. I think we had a better record than that when we were part-time. Even Gus’s mob had 4 by this stage.
Aye he needs punted. Dreading saturday.

3 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Even if you win the 3 games in hand you think Saints will drop  8 points in the last quarter something they have not done thus far in any quarter seriously ? Can see you ending up in second place which is still a tough call given you will play every three to four days till the end of season.

You've dropped 21 points over the first three quarters. Now it may be that those three quarters have each seen you dropping 7 points but even if that's the case, it's not that much of a stretch to think you'll drop one more point in your last quarter.  We won't win our last 12 of course so it's likely to be a moot point. 

You certainly got what you paid for with a fiver with that second half . The vaccum of quality without Dobbie isn't a surprise but it was so devoid of leadership and organisation that 3-1 probably flattered us in the end. 

First half I thought we played very well, largely kept Mikkelsen at arms length and had some nice moves even it was largely shots for long range, I'm still not sure how Robson managed to let Dom Thomas do the only trick he's got but he hit it very well. If we held a lead United might have gotten nervy and make mistakes but whilst the finish was lovely, firstly it came from our own throw in with Dykes losing the ball far too easily and then Mikkelsen probably should have gotten closed down quicker but not many people are going to do that at this level so fair enough. Even after that we played brightly until Dobbie went off which then made us lose all confidence to pass the ball, even when United went down to ten men whilst Durnan was getting patched up we didn't really take the initiative.

The second goal is another peach but the third goal was a car crash of a set piece with Dykes again beaten far too easily and then the finish seemed to happen in slow motion. Regardless of whether your best player is on the park, that shouldn't be happening at any level. After that it was deer in headlights stuff. Thomas seemed to be starved of the ball when he had Robson on toast whenever he took him on. John Rankin is overdue a trip to the glue factory and Jacobs was off the pace again. I try to defend Dykes as much as possible as often he gets unfair stick but that was by far his worst performance of the season, very tepid and just not switched on whatsoever.  Fordyce was bullied all night by Mikkelsen and when Darren Brownlie is one of the main sources of creativity then that just about sums up the game.

The changes didn't really work, Fergusson got a nasty head knock of Durnan and got raked down the back of the leg by Quinn (both accidental) and didn't really do much. Murray put in some good balls this week but has now forgotten to run past people and Lyle was offside an awful lot.  

Probably the only people to get passes are Thomson, Thomas and Marshall the rest really just played like they wanted to be anywhere else as our grim home and midweek records continue.

I'm not sure what to say about that really?  The first half was good, we shared a cracking goal apiece and largely matched each other with Queens perhaps edging it slightly.  Second half was just a complete no-show from ourselves.  United scored a screamer and then followed it up with a scrappy tap in and that was that.

Not a great night for the officials.  Mikkelsen must have had three or four blatant dives that went unpunished.  Scott McDonald looked to have been blatantly tripped in our box and gets a booking for it!  I also thought Mikkelsen possibly hand-balled it in the lead up to his goal but it was a corker of a finish.  He ran our defence ragged tonight which was a real surprise given his previous performances.

I suppose it isn't a huge surprise that we lacked belief once Dobbie went off, but it is still inexcusable.  Where was the leadership from our supposed captain Rankin?  Of course you can't really expect the players to have belief in themselves when the manager doesn't have belief in the players.  4-5-1 at home in a must-win game is pathetic.  Thomson looked absolutely lost in behind Dobbie.  Dykes was dreadful and Jacobs and Rankin constantly giving the ball away is getting a bit tedious to watch now.  Thomas looks good when he does things, but he doesn't get involved often enough.  Leighfield was probably our man of the match again.  He was blameless for the goals, made a number of smart saves including a few good "sweeper keeper" clearances after our outfield players had made a hash of things.

Archived