Queens v Dundee United

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'm a big fan of ours so far.

Like I said, now that the baldy Jonah has gone, the curse has been lifted and we will kick on....

On a slightly more serious note, It seems from reading here that the outcome was as a result of a combination of United being decent (but not great) and Queens not having much to offer once Dobbie went off, which didn’t come as much of a surprise to anyone.

From a United point of view, I am just happy we won the game, shock horror, Big Phil is getting rave reviews, and we now have 3 home games in a row in order to gather a bit of momentum (and ideally a few points) to try to make at least something of this shitfest of a season.

Given the fixture pileup, it is vital we finish second, in order to give the squad a break before the payoffs.

Still nowhere near confident we can do this but should have a much clearer idea by this time next week.

Can anyone who was at the game confirm how we lined up. I took it before the game that it was three centre halves with Murdoch and Robson at full back/wing back; Flood and Stanton in the middle; King and Smith playing off Mikkelsen.

Lewis 

Durnan - Quinn - Scobbie

Murdoch ---------------------- Robson

Flood - Stanton

Smith -------------------King

Mikkelsen

Would that be about right?

32 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Can anyone who was at the game confirm how we lined up. I took it before the game that it was three centre halves with Murdoch and Robson at full back/wing back; Flood and Stanton in the middle; King and Smith playing off Mikkelsen.

Lewis 

Durnan - Quinn - Scobbie

Flood - Stanton

Mikkelsen

Quite like the look of that!

Lewis 

Durnan - Quinn - Scobbie

Flood - Stanton

Mikkelsen

Dillon for Quinn and that could be a dream team.

Having missed a few games due to various circumstances but probably underpinned by my desire and enthusiasm to attend being continually 'ground down' by this Manager's approach to playing football, I decided to go last night.

I thought perhaps he had 'seen the light' given the win at Dumbarton and the return to the starting line-up of Derek Lyle.

This led me to muster up a degree of positivity pre-match only for it to be blown away on the journey there as I heard on the radio that Rankin was back in with Lyle dropping to the bench.

This team selection quite clearly signalled his intention and usual approach.

Of course, he maintains that he does not set up defensively and sets out to win every game but I have to say that not having a striker of Lyle's quality on the pitch and then packing the midfield with journeymen devoid of any creativity greatly diminishes our attacking threat.

It  just didn't work with Thomson trying to play just behind Dobbie.

Thomas was decent and scored a cracker but was completely anonymous 2nd half in particular.

Dykes was his usual self - contributes nothing and looks lazy and uninterested - and was hugely to blame for their equalizer.  He 'showed' for the throw-in and was promptly challenged and ended up on his backside allowing them to break and get the cross in.

It never ceases to amaze me how someone so young, fit looking and athletic is always so easily beaten and out-muscled by any opponent he faces.   He seems to have no strength and/or skill to hold on to the ball.

Of course he is not totally to blame, our defence is absolutely useless. 

How can you let a striker play ' keepie uppie' in the middle of the box unchallenged like that ? 

The likes of Thomson and Aitken or Boyd and Clark would have dealt with that so differently.

Brownlie is absolutely useless and needs to go at the end of the season along with several others.

Fergusson was decent when he came on - Dykes could learn a lot from him -  and Lyle proved again what a good finisher he is.

Albeit they were both offside, even the Manager in his post match interview acknowledged Lyle's  ability.

Just a great pity for everyone that he has not utilised that to its full potential this season.

We lack quality on the pitch and in the Management of the team.   A major overhaul is required for next season.

We are nowhere near good enough for top four and never have been this season.

The only thing that will motivate me to attend the remaining games will be the prospect of seeing Derek Lyle in a Queens shirt  for the last few times ever.

The only positive from last night - and it was great to see - was the sight of Danny on the pitch kicking a ball in the warm-up.

47 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Lewis 

Durnan - Quinn - Scobbie

Flood - Stanton

Mikkelsen

Quinn in midfield with Stanton at no10 position, usual 4-2-3-1 although Smith pushed closer to Mikkelsen 2nd half.

12 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

Quinn in midfield with Stanton at no10 position, usual 4-2-3-1 although Smith pushed closer to Mikkelsen 2nd half.

Fair enough. I thought perhaps going to a three at the back might have been what helped to solidify things. Quinn must have been pulling up trees in training to force himself in there ahead of Slater and Gillespie.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

Fair enough. I thought perhaps going to a three at the back might have been what helped to solidify things. Quinn must have been pulling up trees in training to force himself in there ahead of Slater and Gillespie.

In Csaba's post match interview he talks about Quinn previously not putting in the effort in training but that there had been a vast improvement in the last 2 weeks which resulted in Quinn meriting a chance in the starting line up.

When Dobbie got taken out by Flood and soon had to go off, in my opinion Lyle should have replaced him.  We had no focal point for attacks with such a young forward line, no experience.  Again, a must win game and we line up with one (Dobbie) up front. We're too negative at home.  The St Mirren management team present at the game must be looking forward to Saturday. I fear a severe drubbing.

When Dobbie got taken out by Flood and soon had to go off, in my opinion Lyle should have replaced him.  We had no focal point for attacks with such a young forward line, no experience.  Again, a must win game and we line up with one (Dobbie) up front. We're too negative at home.  The St Mirren management team present at the game must be looking forward to Saturday. I fear a severe drubbing.

Could understand us packing midfield if we had quality there. If Dykes is to start and that is a big if the only place that I would play him is up top on shoulder of last defender. Beerman would be a far better option in left midfield - it would let us keep the ball better. Cameron needs to start ahead of either Fordyce or Brownlie but not sure if any of it really matters now.

Team lacks bottle and leadership - and has done for a long time. Not going to be easy to find good replacements but there is not many of this group that you would keep through choice.

Guest Flash
9 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Could understand us packing midfield if we had quality there. If Dykes is to start and that is a big if the only place that I would play him is up top on shoulder of last defender. Beerman would be a far better option in left midfield - it would let us keep the ball better. Cameron needs to start ahead of either Fordyce or Brownlie but not sure if any of it really matters now.

Team lacks bottle and leadership - and has done for a long time. Not going to be easy to find good replacements but there is not many of this group that you would keep through choice.

Dykes has already been signed up for our assault on the Premiership next season.

Archived