League debate

Blackie Gold

We’re a third through March (summer season would have kicked off by now) and you could count how many games were on today in the premier league with one hand.

Games have been called off in April involving Meadow I’m sure. Summer in Scotland doesn’t guarantee better weather, just warmer rain.

Meadows pitch is known as being one of the best in junior football but has been ruined by the last 2 games played on it.

Don't know what the answer to fixture congestion at the end of season is (what with call offs n league reconstruction)but worked out teams like Talbot assuming getting to semis of cup competitions  next season will play roughly 60 games next season, if we lose 5/6 Saturdays due to weather that's 2 games per week for over half the season ,no wonder the standards not good at times remember these lads work full time too.

Just my thoughts.

Adopt the Johnstone Burgh proposal for the Sectional League Cup and play the sectional games on the opening Saturday, Monday and Wednesday of the season. 

League games then start on the second Saturday.

Concentrate on League fixtures for the Saturdays throughout the season. Apart from 1st Round of West (All teams are involved) and First Rounds of Ayrshire and Central Cups (All teams are involved. then have the next rounds of these cups on standbye to be fitted in when needed.

Convince the SJFA to start the Scottish Junior Cup earlier and get an extra round in before the bad weather kicks in. This automatically halves the number of ties that could cause disruption to any fixture list. Pick a month in the winter where no Scottish Junior Cup ties are played. This puts the closing rounds back in sync with what we have at the moment.

Arrange provisional regional fixtures for teams still involved in the Scottish Junior Cup where possible in the event of postponements. Also arrange provisional fixtures for teams not in the Scottish Junior Cup that may also be affected by said postponements.

Seriously consider abandoning the replays in the Scottish Junior Cup. The thought of another shot at the tie is not always what it's cracked up to be.

Either scrap the Evening Times Cup or re-vamp it to play it throughout the following season instead of cramming important league fixtures in at the end of the season to find out the participants in it.

Try moving high profile games to Friday nights or Sundays to maximise potential for extra footfall through the gate.

22 hours ago, qwerty said:
23 hours ago, Blackie Gold said:
So you think that because some smaller teams want a go at a big scalp then the league should be put on the back burner? If you want to face the big clubs then get into the big league. We had to do it in the 70's.

No I think that if fixtures are allocated then they should be played on date given not binned because one of the big teams has league games to play, it's not about taking a big scalp it's about fairness for all , maybe you should suggest that your club doesn't enter these lesser competitions then you will have plenty time for league games.

With 30 league games scheduled for next season then that might be an idea.

18 hours ago, Shannon said:

First game of the season end of July or first week or two in March like last year weeks. I know what I would rather have. I love concept of summer football but when you look into it you play in very wet March and April then wrecks grass pitches before season under way.

Also more midweek games which are more poorly attended than a November to February Saturday game unfortunately. Only Friday nights make a difference.

Also how do you finish a season end of October or November with no floodlights? Major cup finals in May or June...in October / November be even more poorly attended imo.

Snap!

I like the idea of summer football, but can't surmount all of the difficulties it throws up. 

Given the inevitable postponements and season extensions an earlier start could help. The close season is so narrow it barely matters, stop the middle of June and restart 2nd week in July.

On 11/03/2018 at 01:41, classof2010 said:

So your saying the east will be finished before Scottish cup final and don’t play 3 or 4 games from middle of April

Never said that said mostly season been done by end of may never said anything about how they got there

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 17:31, Sergeant Wilson said:

Snap!

I like the idea of summer football, but can't surmount all of the difficulties it throws up. 

Given the inevitable postponements and season extensions an earlier start could help. The close season is so narrow it barely matters, stop the middle of June and restart 2nd week in July.

So you're proposing a 48 week playing season for players / coaching staff / committee? When you include preseason, that's roughly what most clubs do at the moment, but I can't imagine any clubs would be willing to start "cold", so you'd basically have these guys in every weekend of the year.   And then of course  you'll have half the folk on this board moaning about players missing games for holidays / stag do's / weddings / Christmas / their grannies' funerals  ("These guys are supposed to be professional!!!") despite the fact that only about 10% of junior footballers will get anything approaching the hourly rate for the minimum wage.  

On 11/3/2018 at 17:31, Sergeant Wilson said:

30 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

So you're proposing a 48 week playing season for players / coaching staff / committee? When you include preseason, that's roughly what most clubs do at the moment, but I can't imagine any clubs would be willing to start "cold", so you'd basically have these guys in every weekend of the year.   And then of course  you'll have half the folk on this board moaning about players missing games for holidays / stag do's / weddings / Christmas / their grannies' funerals  ("These guys are supposed to be professional!!!") despite the fact that only about 10% of junior footballers will get anything approaching the hourly rate for the minimum wage.  

The first sentence was the important bit.

Archived