Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Div

      Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

      We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, Shannon said:

 

First game of the season end of July or first week or two in March like last year weeks. I know what I would rather have. I love concept of summer football but when you look into it you play in very wet March and April then wrecks grass pitches before season under way.

 

Also more midweek games which are more poorly attended than a November to February Saturday game unfortunately. Only Friday nights make a difference.

 

Also how do you finish a season end of October or November with no floodlights? Major cup finals in May or June...in October / November be even more poorly attended imo.

 

Why would games be off April, May, June, July, August? 22 Saturdays, 3 games in March, 4 in September, 4 October, 31 without a Wednesday, there's also 22 of them in 5 summer months if you need them

Might need a computer to work out the fixtures like every other league in the Northern hemisphere but if we're changing things way stop at that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’re a third through March (summer season would have kicked off by now) and you could count how many games were on today in the premier league with one hand.

Games have been called off in April involving Meadow I’m sure. Summer in Scotland doesn’t guarantee better weather, just warmer rain.

Meadows pitch is known as being one of the best in junior football but has been ruined by the last 2 games played on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know what the answer to fixture congestion at the end of season is (what with call offs n league reconstruction)but worked out teams like Talbot assuming getting to semis of cup competitions  next season will play roughly 60 games next season, if we lose 5/6 Saturdays due to weather that's 2 games per week for over half the season ,no wonder the standards not good at times remember these lads work full time too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big thing for most clubs is maintenance. Summer football sounds good but we get bad weather all year round here. When do you repair your pitch? Or do we all just go 4g surface and be done with it!!

losing 1 or 2 of the cups would make more sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Incorrect mostly the league is done by end of may it's sometimes rushed semi final and final

So your saying the east will be finished before Scottish cup final and don’t play 3 or 4 games from middle of April

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just my thoughts.

Adopt the Johnstone Burgh proposal for the Sectional League Cup and play the sectional games on the opening Saturday, Monday and Wednesday of the season. 

League games then start on the second Saturday.

Concentrate on League fixtures for the Saturdays throughout the season. Apart from 1st Round of West (All teams are involved) and First Rounds of Ayrshire and Central Cups (All teams are involved. then have the next rounds of these cups on standbye to be fitted in when needed.

Convince the SJFA to start the Scottish Junior Cup earlier and get an extra round in before the bad weather kicks in. This automatically halves the number of ties that could cause disruption to any fixture list. Pick a month in the winter where no Scottish Junior Cup ties are played. This puts the closing rounds back in sync with what we have at the moment.

Arrange provisional regional fixtures for teams still involved in the Scottish Junior Cup where possible in the event of postponements. Also arrange provisional fixtures for teams not in the Scottish Junior Cup that may also be affected by said postponements.

Seriously consider abandoning the replays in the Scottish Junior Cup. The thought of another shot at the tie is not always what it's cracked up to be.

Either scrap the Evening Times Cup or re-vamp it to play it throughout the following season instead of cramming important league fixtures in at the end of the season to find out the participants in it.

Try moving high profile games to Friday nights or Sundays to maximise potential for extra footfall through the gate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, qwerty said:
23 hours ago, Blackie Gold said:
So you think that because some smaller teams want a go at a big scalp then the league should be put on the back burner? If you want to face the big clubs then get into the big league. We had to do it in the 70's.

No I think that if fixtures are allocated then they should be played on date given not binned because one of the big teams has league games to play, it's not about taking a big scalp it's about fairness for all , maybe you should suggest that your club doesn't enter these lesser competitions then you will have plenty time for league games.

With 30 league games scheduled for next season then that might be an idea.

Edited by Dipple burn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Shannon said:

 

First game of the season end of July or first week or two in March like last year weeks. I know what I would rather have. I love concept of summer football but when you look into it you play in very wet March and April then wrecks grass pitches before season under way.

 

Also more midweek games which are more poorly attended than a November to February Saturday game unfortunately. Only Friday nights make a difference.

 

Also how do you finish a season end of October or November with no floodlights? Major cup finals in May or June...in October / November be even more poorly attended imo.

 

Snap!

I like the idea of summer football, but can't surmount all of the difficulties it throws up. 

Given the inevitable postponements and season extensions an earlier start could help. The close season is so narrow it barely matters, stop the middle of June and restart 2nd week in July.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, classof2010 said:


So your saying the east will be finished before Scottish cup final and don’t play 3 or 4 games from middle of April

There are 60 teams in the East region, probably one or two of these at most will be playing 3-4 games a week from middle of april.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/03/2018 at 01:41, classof2010 said:


So your saying the east will be finished before Scottish cup final and don’t play 3 or 4 games from middle of April

Never said that said mostly season been done by end of may never said anything about how they got there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 17:31, Sergeant Wilson said:

Snap!

I like the idea of summer football, but can't surmount all of the difficulties it throws up. 

Given the inevitable postponements and season extensions an earlier start could help. The close season is so narrow it barely matters, stop the middle of June and restart 2nd week in July.

So you're proposing a 48 week playing season for players / coaching staff / committee? When you include preseason, that's roughly what most clubs do at the moment, but I can't imagine any clubs would be willing to start "cold", so you'd basically have these guys in every weekend of the year.   And then of course  you'll have half the folk on this board moaning about players missing games for holidays / stag do's / weddings / Christmas / their grannies' funerals  ("These guys are supposed to be professional!!!") despite the fact that only about 10% of junior footballers will get anything approaching the hourly rate for the minimum wage.  

Edited by Junior_Arab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2018 at 17:31, Sergeant Wilson said:

 

I like the idea of summer football, but can't surmount all of the difficulties it throws up. 

Given the inevitable postponements and season extensions an earlier start could help. The close season is so narrow it barely matters, stop the middle of June and restart 2nd week in July.

 

30 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

So you're proposing a 48 week playing season for players / coaching staff / committee? When you include preseason, that's roughly what most clubs do at the moment, but I can't imagine any clubs would be willing to start "cold", so you'd basically have these guys in every weekend of the year.   And then of course  you'll have half the folk on this board moaning about players missing games for holidays / stag do's / weddings / Christmas / their grannies' funerals  ("These guys are supposed to be professional!!!") despite the fact that only about 10% of junior footballers will get anything approaching the hourly rate for the minimum wage.  

The first sentence was the important bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×