Queens Park v Alloa

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Waspie said:

Fantastic goal. The Alloa goals were pretty good too.

Winner was a great hit. Thought White maybe should have got something on it at the time. No chance.

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 17:20, bobthespider said:

1-0 up and what do Queens do change tactics and go defensive again so frustrating.

I don't think that what happened on Saturday. BYOS is pretty much spot on with his assessment.

Alloa totally upped their game after they went behind, and our midfield got a bit of a chasing for most of the second half. We were pretty much forced to defend by them and the double substitution bringing on two players of such quality put the seal on it. Not much you can do when you can't get the ball off them. On saying that, their second goal should have been defended better even if it was a hell of a strike 

One of our big problems this season has been the lack of goals from midfield. They get into decent positions in the last third but they either lack confidence to have a go or the finishing has been poor. Galt is one of our best players this season but he hasn't scored since the league cup game at Berwick. Our centre half has 10 and our on-loan striker has 5 in only 6 games which says it all.  I'd be tempted to get Donnelly back in the team solely for the fact he has shown he can get a goal 

17 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

One of our big problems this season has been the lack of goals from midfield. They get into decent positions in the last third but they either lack confidence to have a go or the finishing has been poor. Galt is one of our best players this season but he hasn't scored since the league cup game at Berwick. Our centre half has 10 and our on-loan striker has 5 in only 6 games which says it all.  I'd be tempted to get Donnelly back in the team solely for the fact he has shown he can get a goal 

Would go with Donnelly just off Keena on Tuesday night. Won’t be a great deal of football played. We’ll just be playing to hit Keena, so he’ll need guys playing off him. Pointless going there and trying to get the ball down. 

10 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Didn't think it a pen at the time but looking at the slo-mo, Burns' clip on the big striker definitely looked like contact, and deliberate at that.

Yep I thought so too. Otherwise I thought Burns was a bit more effective on Saturday than he has been. A bit of a blow losing Nimmo, not sure Magee is ready yet but maybe the best opportunity he will get.

Keena though is a great piece of business. He comes to us a far more complete player than any of loans I can remember. Anthony Ralston is the only other in recent times maybe?

28 minutes ago, Velvet Donkey said:

He comes to us a far more complete player than any of loans I can remember. Anthony Ralston is the only other in recent times maybe?

Were you absent in 2013-14, or were Brophy's 7 goals in 9 games not complete enough for you?

40 minutes ago, The Spider said:

Were you absent in 2013-14, or were Brophy's 7 goals in 9 games not complete enough for you?

I think I get where he was coming from. Brophy was great, but Ralston and Keena had a technique and physicality that Brophy maybe didn’t have. He sniffed out goals, which was his job, but I think Keena is a more complete player than he was.

16 minutes ago, PASSANDMOVE said:

Saw Brophy play for Killie recently and he must have recently discovered his technique and physicality given that he ' maybe didn't have with' us - 7 goals from 9 games speaks for its self.

Yes, he definitely has developed a better technique and physicality since he played for us. Most young players with promise tend to do that as they progress. I think the “Brophy was great” part would be more of an indicator as to my opinion of him at QP.

The point was about where the players were in terms of all round attributes. Ralston was a monster at 16 and played like a guy in his 20s at that level. Keena looks like he can ping them in from anywhere and is a strong boy with great technique as well. None of this detracts from Brophy’s record or criticises him in any way. It’d be impossible to criticise his performance in what was the worst QP team I’ve ever seen. Infact, it makes his record all the more impressive.

2 hours ago, Velvet Donkey said:

Yep I thought so too. Otherwise I thought Burns was a bit more effective on Saturday than he has been. A bit of a blow losing Nimmo, not sure Magee is ready yet but maybe the best opportunity he will get.

Keena though is a great piece of business. He comes to us a far more complete player than any of loans I can remember. Anthony Ralston is the only other in recent times maybe?

1 hour ago, The Spider said:

Brophy frustrated me a bit actually. In an abysmal year he gave us something to cheer, briefly, but he was also extremely greedy and wasn't interested at all in his teammates or Queen's Park. I'm in favour of loanees but only when they bring something as well as taking something away.  Keena seems a more rounded professional. I've no doubt he too has Hearts and a contract at the front of his plan but he mixes well with the players and speaks well on the telly. Ralston was the best of them all for me, simply because he could defend, attack and score. Any other club other than Celtic and he'd be starting in the first X1 every week. 

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Yes, he definitely has developed a better technique and physicality since he played for us. Most young players with promise tend to do that as they progress. I think the “Brophy was great” part would be more of an indicator as to my opinion of him at QP.

The point was about where the players were in terms of all round attributes. Ralston was a monster at 16 and played like a guy in his 20s at that level. Keena looks like he can ping them in from anywhere and is a strong boy with great technique as well. None of this detracts from Brophy’s record or criticises him in any way. It’d be impossible to criticise his performance in what was the worst QP team I’ve ever seen. Infact, it makes his record all the more impressive.

Get the other points but Brophy already had heaps of technique and physicality with us, particularly for our level.

4 hours ago, The Spider said:

Yeah Brophy was important for us at the time, you can't argue with that goal record, but I still don't think he was as complete a player as Keena.

Just seen the highlights on QPTV  Why the ref never gave a penalty is beyond me , Renton was clean through you dont go down then ! clear trip . but thems the breaks 

Keena goal was brilliant though , great vision and a lesson to footballers that if you don't  try  Ect ect  .

5 hours ago, Velvet Donkey said:

I still don't think he was as complete a player as Keena.

Agree with that, and Brophy was in a lower division, but now we are coming down to interpretation of degrees ("as complete") and fine margins. My point was that if we are to consider which loanees have been the "most successful" for us then for me it would be unkind not to include Brophy's name alongside those of Keena and Ralston, as (in my opinion) once you get to Zanatta & Duggan then you're onto the B-list.

Going back further, another A-lister (and arguably the best of the lot) was Colin Stewart - his performances at the start of season 2000-01 were right up there with anything I've ever seen from a Queen's player in terms of his consistency.

20 hours ago, The Spider said:

Going back further, another A-lister (and arguably the best of the lot) was Colin Stewart - his performances at the start of season 2000-01 were right up there with anything I've ever seen from a Queen's player in terms of his consistency.

Yeah he was great and his saves won us points, especially the penalty save at Forfar when Carroll scored the winner. Reckon if we had kept him on loan all that season we would have stayed up. 

Did he not also come back to us loan for a short spell the following season? ( or was it the season after that?)

Archived