Queens Park v Alloa

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We’ve shown absolutely no sign that we’re going to stop losing ludicrous goals. We just give ourselves so little of a chance because of it. If we can cut it out for 90 minutes we can get something. That’s more hope than expectation.

Every game is now a big one. Tuesday is massive. Lose both of these and we’re probably away. Not from an arithmetical perspective, but from a “If we can’t pick up points here, where can we?” perspective.

28 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

80 quid in the bank courtesy of Queen's Park being the worst team in the land. Very, very pleasing. God save the Gus bus.

KKKlyde absolutely buzzing to see us next season.

Maybe there were injuries but if not that team selection was a gamble. You can rest players without making drastic changes to key areas of the team. Given we had to introduce some of these players to save the game it's questionable if the plan even worked. 

Step nearer in the play-offs in the end. Hopefully not too many masterplans to come in the weeks ahead.

Maybe there were injuries but if not that team selection was a gamble. You can rest players without making drastic changes to key areas of the team. Given we had to introduce some of these players to save the game it's questionable if the plan even worked. 
Step nearer in the play-offs in the end. Hopefully not too many masterplans to come in the weeks ahead.

Indeed, we all know Jim likes to tinker but that was major surgery. Hopefully he has learned a lesson and is better aware of the actual quality available to him within the squad.

Thought we looked the more likely in the first half and Kenna's wonder strike was a great start to the second. If he'd just waited for another 43 minutes we might have held out. Gus hadn't changed anything before the two Alloa goals - both well taken - but the defence just let itself get pressed deep again. Too many slack passes and lost possession. The tactical changes swapping McVey for Mortimer and Summers for Leitch turning the lone striker into 3 got the ball back up the pitch but as so often at Hampden the visitor's defence just sat deep and we don't have the strength or guile to puncture that set-up. Too little too late.

Alloa weren't great either. Three good goals in the game but not a lot outside of that. Enough for Alloa. Grim outlook for QP.

Planned to go today but my secondary mode of transport failed on me and left me stranded in the middle of nowhere . 

looks like jim Gambled today resting players ,dont see it as necessary myself playing instead of training may be a bit harder but no need for it , Crane scoring !! nice one and kirkpatrick getting his first in his second stint.. nice  !      looked to be an even game with Queens fighting for their  league one life .

Think the manager will take the credit for resting half the team and getting the win. Fair enough. Personally thought we should have built on the momentum from Arbroath game. Remember a famous Graeme Souness quote from the past- "i never felt tired when i was winning games"

The starting lineup ripped the heart out of the team. Could have easily understood one or two changes but was a gamble making so many. Think it paid off for him in terms of trying to keep faith in the squad he has built. But cant help but feel he got away with it a bit today.

Queens opener was an absolute beauty. Wasnt too bothered as i hoped it would wake us up a bit and give us more urgency.

Kirkys goal to put us in front was an absolute beauty and we looked a lot better after the substitutions. Give the manager credit for pulling it off, but at the same time i thought it was the perfect game to build on midweek and put down more of a marker than a narrow win. Time will tell as far as thats concerned.

Cant fault the efforts of the players, top notch as usual.

Think you have to use you,re squad,can,t just leave players on the bench every week.Its the amount of players he left out from the same area of the pitch.Both center mids and a bang in form striker was IMO a big gamble and 1st half we never got going although was Renton pulled down for a penalty.Also from the resultant corner Andy had a great chance with a free header.The Queens goal was a brilliant piece of vision and skill but big Neil will be holding his hands up for it as it wasn,t even a chance. Our equalizer came from the best piece of play in the game and happened before any changes were made.Then bringing on Stevie pushed Kirkie higher up the pitch and he duly delivered.Rest players by all means but not all at the same time.Sticking up for the team that did play Queens Park never really caused us any problems.

1 hour ago, whereismillar said:

Planned to go today but my secondary mode of transport failed on me and left me stranded in the middle of nowhere . 

looks like jim Gambled today resting players ,dont see it as necessary myself playing instead of training may be a bit harder but no need for it , Crane scoring !! nice one and kirkpatrick getting his first in his second stint.. nice  !      looked to be an even game with Queens fighting for their  league one life .

Not for the first time you have hit the nail bang on the head.  Why do players need rested for 2 games a week over a short period when they usually train on the night of the rearranged match? My philosophy is that you train the way you play and play the way you train.  There should be no difference except that you don't want your players flying into 40/60 tackles at training.  I know we are part time but come on, these are supposed to be young, fit athletes - well apart from Gaz, sorry!  Flanny in for PJ would have been my only change from Arbroath game.

15 minutes ago, Not a Bee said:

Not for the first time you have hit the nail bang on the head.  Why do players need rested for 2 games a week over a short period when they usually train on the night of the rearranged match? My philosophy is that you train the way you play and play the way you train.  There should be no difference except that you don't want your players flying into 40/60 tackles at training.  I know we are part time but come on, these are supposed to be young, fit athletes - well apart from Gaz, sorry!  Flanny in for PJ would have been my only change from Arbroath game.

Personally I think its a keep the squad happy and keep the parent clubs happy, not necessarily fitness. Callum Smith not getting a chance in the team would annoy Dunfermline. Renton and Robertson will no doubt be champing at the bit to get another chance to stake a claim in the team too. 

Not having watched the game, the decision to not have two sitting mids of which you pick 2/3 of Fleming, Hetherington and Robertson is confusing. Kirkpatrick acts as a striker in the way he works. Just does it from deep. Renton and Smith are strikers. Flannigan isn't a defensive engine either. So looking at the team selection that seems light in midfield and very top heavy.

I thought the starting line up was nuts. I like Robbo but hes never going to sit back and dictate the play and thats pretty much what we asked of him today. Fleming scored on Tuesday for the first time and performed brilliantly. Assume he was buzzing after that yet hes dropped to bench. 

If we win comfortably on Tuesday night against East Fife im happy to dismiss my doubts. But a hell of a gamble today to tinker so significantly with the starting 11. Not like the manager to under estimate opposition so assume its for other reasons.

Archived