Working for a US firm in the UK

HEED

As the topic states, does anyone here have experience of or currently work for a US company in the UK?

Looking for some info/advice on what I’m needing to discuss with them regarding tax/NI/holidays etc.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends what your situation is.  I worked for a few large US software  companies but they all had well-establish UK operations.

If it's a startup then it may well be different.  I've also done that but for Swedish and Norwegian companies.

Describe your situation more and many blokes here will have had experience that could be useful.

7 minutes ago, HEED said:

As the topic states, does anyone here have experience of or currently work for a US company in the UK?

Looking for some info/advice on what I’m needing to discuss with them regarding tax/NI/holidays etc.

Thanks in advance

Tell them UK law prohibits hours longer than 10-4 and finishing at 2pm Fridays, and all tax and NI payments have to be paid by the firm with no employee deductions.

They currently have 1 person over here from the US for 7/8 months of the year and I would be taking over his role for the whole year.

As far as I’m aware they are not UK established.

26 minutes ago, HEED said:

Thanks in advance

I think you'll find it's 'vacations'. 

4 minutes ago, HEED said:

They currently have 1 person over here from the US for 7/8 months of the year and I would be taking over his role for the whole year.

So will you be employed by them?  If so they'll need a UK entity.  If not then you'll need either your own Ltd Company or an 'Umbrella' equivalent.

So will you be employed by them?  If so they'll need a UK entity.  If not then you'll need either your own Ltd Company or an 'Umbrella' equivalent.

Yes I think so. I’ve had a little read up on tax & NI and there was a section on voluntary contributions which I could make for these?

12 minutes ago, HEED said:

The tax and NI are simple numbers that they probably know or could check in seconds. You can talk about the norm for holidays rather than minimum and say public holidays are on top.

12 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Could he not just go sole trader with a single customer? It could be simpler for both parties.

5 minutes ago, HEED said:

Yes I think so. I’ve had a little read up on tax & NI and there was a section on voluntary contributions which I could make for these?

If they employ you directly then that's fine.  They will need their own UK-registered company and will comply with appropriate employment laws and will tax you at source etc.

If they employ you on a contract basis then you need your own limited compny.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Could he not just go sole trader with a single customer? It could be simpler for both parties.

Not really.  He's not generating his own work but is dependent on others.  He'd thus be due any possible liabilities.  

Either directly employed or Ltd Company would be much better.

If they employ you directly then that's fine.  They will need their own UK-registered company and will comply with appropriate employment laws and will tax you at source etc.
If they employ you on a contract basis then you need your own limited compny.

I’m expecting full time employment, if it’s a contract I’m not interested.

What if they didn’t want to register in the UK? Would this be a must?

2 minutes ago, HEED said:

Still half joking but getting paid into an account in Panama might be simpler. 

14 minutes ago, HEED said:

I don't want to split hairs but every employment situation is a contract.

We don't really know enough to advise you and nor should we.  In your situation I'd ask your potential employer to to describe how they see your employment and also take advice from a solicitor rather than barrack-rooms lawyers like Welshy and me.

My own firm has many blokes on contract - but usually on a Ltd Co basis.

I don't want to split hairs but every employment situation is a contract.
We don't really know enough to advise you and nor should we.  In your situation I'd ask your potential employer to to describe how they see your employment and also take advice from a solicitor.

Ok. Thanks

Just now, HEED said:

Starting to look that way!

Is it a big firm that are used to paying wages abroad? If not I think the sole trader route might be worth looking at if it looks like a good deal and you don't think there's much risk of getting dumped with their liabilities if things go tits up. Setting up a limited company isn't worthwhile unless you're earning a large wedge.

Is it a big firm that are used to paying wages abroad? If not I think the sole trader route might be worth looking at if it looks like a good deal and you don't think there's much risk of getting dumped with their liabilities if things go tits up. Setting up a limited company isn't worthwhile unless you're earning a large wedge.

As far as I’m aware they only employee US citizens who then travel to different countries to work for the required timespan.

The job entails visiting companies and auditing their equipment and processes to report back to the bank so not sure if the sole trader thing would be suitable.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I've sparks and pipe-fitters on my books at £20-25 per hour who have Ltd Coys.  it's easy to set up and tax-efficient.

Archived