4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The Mirror story didn't claim the Police spoke to Cummings himself. The source was clearly Cummings or someone speaking on his behalf, I don't see what's wrong with a reporter asking if he's got anything to say about a breaking story when he's the centre of it. She's the political editor, that's her job.

For the love of god.

Is this someone impartially presenting the other side of the story as put forward by their source, or is this someone furiously contesting the content of the story to protest the innocence of their source?

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

For the love of god.

Is this someone impartially presenting the other side of the story as put forward by their source, or is this someone furiously contesting the content of the story to protest the innocence of their source?

And she also tweeted this.

image.png

I'm obviously not going to persuade anyone here, I just think it's a rubbish example of bias when there are so many blatant examples around.

The Mirror story didn't claim the Police spoke to Cummings himself. It was likely one of his parents. The source was clearly Cummings or someone speaking on his behalf, I don't see what's wrong with a reporter asking if he's got anything to say about a breaking story when he's the centre of it. She's the political editor, that's her job. Should she have kept what he said to herself and not passed it on?

This would almost be an acceptable line of argument if she had directly quoted Cummings and was neutrally passing through *his* rebuttal. That’s not what’s happened here. Kuenssberg has written her own rebuttal, defending the PM’s head advisor based on information from “sources”. The information has clearly come from him, but that’s not how it’s presented, and with the government themselves having not released a response, her tweets are the closest there is to an official denial.

That demonstrably shows Kuenssberg working as the governments mouthpiece when the entire premise of her job is to hold the same government to account. That the story didn’t even appear on the 10 O’Clock news is also an utter disgrace, and you can be assured had it been the likes of Corbyn, Abbott, Sturgeon or Blackford it would have been the lead story. It’s quite simply a dereliction of duty.

This should be grounds for resignation for both Cummings and Kuenssberg, but neither will face any repercussions, the bold Laura will get her multi-million pound a year editorial role at the Spectator in a couple of years, and all will be right with the world.

19 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

That the story didn’t even appear on the 10 O’Clock news is also an utter disgrace, and you can be assured had it been the likes of Corbyn, Abbott, Sturgeon or Blackford it would have been the lead story. It’s quite simply a dereliction of duty.

This seems like its a fairly important distinction; if anyone could find an example of her rapidly jumping on a negative story for a high profile Scottish govt or Labour figure with a blatant "douse the flames" post I'll be astonished. Her doing it with the govt exclusively makes her come across as more of a spokesman than journalist.

Thats not trying to engage in whataboutery, since she shouldnt be doing either, but it shows that she cant be trusted to be impartial.

Between this, her on camera fawning over Boris when stood next to Peston, that photo of her on the bench next to Boris, that cringetastic behind the scenes with Boris tv monster she shat out (edit: i had a wee look since i wasnt sure if Boris was the sole focus, it was that Brexitstorm thing she fronted) and pretending Constance Markiewicz didnt exist in favour of a known Nazi sympathiser I dont give her any credibility whatsoever. She should just go the Jim Traynor route and go for senior position a high profile right wing paper or direct Tory party media relations post at this point, assuming thats not her endgame anyway.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

For the love of god.

The alarming thing for me is that its not her story, its not a bbc story either, the mirror got the scoop and despite this instead of digging she responds with the party line to the reporting journalist. Its fucking mental to think that anyone would reasonably believe she isnt a government mouthpiece.

Apparently there was a short segment on the 10 o'clock news about it but it didn't lead. Newsnight did significantly better.

25 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

This would almost be an acceptable line of argument if she had directly quoted Cummings and was neutrally passing through *his* rebuttal. That’s not what’s happened here. Kuenssberg has written her own rebuttal, defending the PM’s head advisor based on information from “sources”. The information has clearly come from him, but that’s not how it’s presented, and with the government themselves having not released a response, her tweets are the closest there is to an official denial.

That demonstrably shows Kuenssberg working as the governments mouthpiece when the entire premise of her job is to hold the same government to account. That the story didn’t even appear on the 10 O’Clock news is also an utter disgrace, and you can be assured had it been the likes of Corbyn, Abbott, Sturgeon or Blackford it would have been the lead story. It’s quite simply a dereliction of duty.

This should be grounds for resignation for both Cummings and Kuenssberg, but neither will face any repercussions, the bold Laura will get her multi-million pound a year editorial role at the Spectator in a couple of years, and all will be right with the world.

It is not the job of a journalist to hold the government to account.  That is what the opposition parties are for.  A journalist's job is to collect and present news to the audience.

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Good to see McPhail on the case.

I did have a chuckle when i noticed he was replying to the blessed laura 

It is not the job of a journalist to hold the government to account.  That is what the opposition parties are for.  A journalist's job is to collect and present news to the audience.
Oh, do fůck off. You've just described a PR representative.

On 17/05/2020 at 18:10, Mr Heliums said:

I love how the Republic doesn't exist. It's just sea.

If only...

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

Laura doubles down this morning

Screenshot_20200523-091704_Twitter.jpg

This of course directly contradicts what her sources told her last night. I mean, it's almost as if she saying whatever Cummings is telling her without doing her job and checking veracity/scrutinising.

On 19/05/2020 at 11:17, Granny Danger said:

Those in charge of the BBC are shit scared of the organisation being dismantled by the Tories.  It shows their naivety in thinking that by sucking up to Johnson et al it will save them; at best it will buy them some time allow the current top dogs to retire with full pensions and enhanced redundacy payments..

And is it the job of the journalist to provide a rapid response exercise in damage limitation for a Government ?