BBC bias

17 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Beginning to understand why the BBC use quotation marks in every headline, a get out when you get it wrong.

Yeah but it doesn't excuse it. A national, publicly funded broadcaster should not lead on speculation.

Loathe as I am to defend the beeb - I was skimming stv news there and saw this bit:
image.png.cc024499438a4e1e1a3f7d26fabcf177.png

I hope both bbc and stv are investigating this and taking action.

This was a serious fucking error. Pronuncing folk dead when they are not, magnifying possible major incidents - both are pretty awful mistakes for news organisations to be made.

Reminds me of the outstanding episode of the Newsroom (same writer as the West Wing) where they deal with the coverage of gabriella giffords shooting (the US politician that got shot in the head). I think all news broadcasters pronounced her dead when she actually survived. They fall over each other to be first to break news, and more checks are definitely needed.

4 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I hope both bbc and stv are investigating this and taking action.

This was a serious fucking error. Pronuncing folk dead when they are not, magnifying possible major incidents - both are pretty awful mistakes for news organisations to be made.

Reminds me of the outstanding episode of the Newsroom (same writer as the West Wing) where they deal with the coverage of gabriella giffords shooting (the US politician that got shot in the head). I think all news broadcasters pronounced her dead when she actually survived. They fall over each other to be first to break news, and more checks are definitely needed.

The only clip of The Newsroom that I saw was that hilarious one that did the rounds a year back where Jeff Newsroom or whatever he's called just unloads on a stewardess until he sees the pilot then solemnly announces to him that Bin Laden is dead. Looks genuinely bat shit mental.

The only clip of The Newsroom that I saw was that hilarious one that did the rounds a year back where Jeff Newsroom or whatever he's called just unloads on a stewardess until he sees the pilot then solemnly announces to him that Bin Laden is dead. Looks genuinely bat shit mental.
That's a pretty good episode too, but he's not the main character.

The first series was excellent. Genuinely top programme.

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

That's a pretty good episode too, but he's not the main character.

The first series was excellent. Genuinely top programme.

I can't really vibe with Aaron Sorkin. Find his smug brand of liberalism off-putting and since his shows all have the same style I can't really get on board with it. That said, I did enjoy the Social Network although I think he didn't do anything other than the script?

5 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I can't really vibe with Aaron Sorkin. Find his smug brand of liberalism off-putting and since his shows all have the same style I can't really get on board with it. That said, I did enjoy the Social Network although I think he didn't do anything other than the script?

I always wondered how realistic the West Wing was - I imagined it was not realistic in any shape or form to have policy largely developed and driven (and discussed to within an inch of its life) by White House staffers and advisers. The holy sanctimony of the President's team really grated on me and I wonder why it was so popular to run for what, 6 seasons? Maybe liberal Americans watched it either in the belief thats how Washington was run or watched it in hope it would be like that. 

Just now, KingRocketman II said:

I always wondered how realistic the West Wing was - I imagined it was not realistic in any shape or form to have policy largely developed and driven (and discussed to within an inch of its life) by White House staffers and advisers. The holy sanctimony of the President's team really grated on me and I wonder why it was so popular to run for what, 6 seasons? Maybe liberal Americans watched it either in the belief thats how Washington was run or watched it in hope it would be like that. 

I do think that the Obama White House consciously believed itself to be acting in a Sorkin(ian?) spirit. The Republican Party has proven that the world doesn't work like that and that it's quite easy to run rings round people who think you can do politics like that. You can't By Your Logic anyone into admitting fault and changing their stance as most people (partic on the right) don't care if they're hypocritical or inconsistent as long as they're successful.

27 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

The West Wing overlapped significantly with the Bush White House so no surprise it was really popular escapist telly

It's the cast that sells it. By inclination or by direction they swing for the fences in theatrical style to ground the dialogue. It wouldn't work with a more naturalistic acting approach (albeit I'm sure John Spencer had all of two facial expressions in the whole series)

can I use this chance to fanboy for The Wire? One of the few shows I've bothered to rewatch in full.

Yeah, I'm gonna use this as an excuse to fanboy for The Wire.

Such a fucking good scene. The comments section is worth a read, won't clog it up h in here. Obviously the focus was more on Govt. institutions in relation to the drug trade but it's also telling when Carcetti finds out the size of the deficit in the education budget and basically is told to eat shit over it, all he can do is what his predecessor and his predecessor's predecessor etc. etc. did.

edit: ha the related videos cover it. "We take the state money and instead of being fucked up and broke, our schools go back to being merely [beat]... fucked up."

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

House of Cards is clearly the TV programme that most captures how American politics works. Plotting, bullying, bribing, betrayal, murder and then your wife takes over when you get called a nonce.

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Doesn't really just pertain to the BBC but I read someone recently saying the internet gave us a proliferation of people writing blogs for free so it seemed natural that the best commentators with the most interesting things to say would gravitate to the paid positions, after all who would pay money for mediocre writing in this environment? But the opposite seems to have happened.

That Chomsky barb to Marr is correct. Why bother training someone smart to play the game when you can have a dog brained moron just uncritically repeat what she's texted from D. Cummings?

Edited by NotThePars

3 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Unbelievable that Welsh Bairn still sees the BBC as 100% impartial. I like the guy and his posts, but his assertion is #swiveleyed

Cheeky c**t, I just point out when the specific examples of bias are clearly wrong. Like when they were supposed to be specifically trawling for dirt on Scottish Health Authorities with FOI requests to make the SNP look bad, when they were actually doing it for every health authority in the UK, and putting out far more stories of failures outside Scotland. And I don't think every time a reporter explains the Tory position on something that they must be a Tory. I doubt it's a coincidence that it's mostly Tories who want to close them down and give Murdoch a free run.

5 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Starting to think that Laura Kuenssberg just has a donkey brain 

I think you're right. I knew a girl at university who didn't have an original idea in her head or ability to do any kind of analysis that she hadn't already read in a book she was told to read. But she had a great memory and got a First. Kuenssberg seems to regurgitate whatever the last person said to her without any filter, except to put through a vaguely centrist warm beer and vicar waving as he cycles past the village pond base for critique. But primarily to beat the other girls to the scoop, intrepid reporter Tintin style. I have a bit of sympathy for BBC journalists who are expected to show more neutrality than anyone else, it's a difficult if not impossible skill if observed from every angle, she's just a bit crap at it.

Edited by welshbairn