BBC bias

A very odd assertion on the Six O’Clock News from Sarah Smith today that Nicola Sturgeon was ‘clearly relishing’ using her power and going a different way to the rest of the UK with lockdown.

This was immediately after a segment about Northern Ireland where well-known separatist Arlene Foster was speaking about the different Northern Irish approach.

A very odd assertion on the Six O’Clock News from Sarah Smith today that Nicola Sturgeon was ‘clearly relishing’ using her power and going a different way to the rest of the UK with lockdown.

This was immediately after a segment about Northern Ireland where well-known separatist Arlene Foster was speaking about the different Northern Irish approach.

As we watched it I made the point to my wife that yet again Smith was editorialising rather than reporting. The woman just cannot contain her bias, but the more important issue is that she has been deliberately placed in the Scottish political correspondent role to follow a particular script. Just why is that ?

The bbc news is just one big party political broadcast for the tories at the moment.They have invoked the "dont blame the government" in times of national crisis

I watched it the other day and some guy from the national union of teachers was on and after explaining that he had written to the gov asking for guidance and had no reply the presenter then accused him of not speaking to the gov within 10 secs of him saying that he had contacted them....our national broadcaster is a shambles

Edited by doulikefish

A clarification of sorts from Smith, polite rebuttal from Nicola Sturgeon but she’s drawing a line under it. Fair play.

I don’t generally buy into a lot of the stuff on this thread, there were certainly points in the election where Kuenssberg had went full Tory albeit mainly on Twitter and not the telly, but I was open-mouthed when I watched Smith last night. I can’t think of such a clear and personal attack on a politician, and one which has pretty simple plausible deniability as well when you consider the Welsh and Northern Irish approach.

2 minutes ago, Paco said:

A clarification of sorts from Smith, polite rebuttal from Nicola Sturgeon but she’s drawing a line under it. Fair play.

I don’t generally buy into a lot of the stuff on this thread, there were certainly points in the election where Kuenssberg had went full Tory albeit mainly on Twitter and not the telly, but I was open-mouthed when I watched Smith last night. I can’t think of such a clear and personal attack on a politician, and one which has pretty simple plausible deniability as well when you consider the Welsh and Northern Irish approach.

She's made four separate clarifications, definitely going well for her.

2 hours ago, doulikefish said:

The bbc news is just one big party political broadcast for the tories at the moment.They have invoked the "dont blame the government" in times of national crisis

I watched it the other day and some guy from the national union of teachers was on and after explaining that he had written to the gov asking for guidance and had no reply the presenter then accused him of not speaking to the gov within 10 secs of him saying that he had contacted them....our national broadcaster is a shambles

Those in charge of the BBC are shit scared of the organisation being dismantled by the Tories.  It shows their naivety in thinking that by sucking up to Johnson et al it will save them; at best it will buy them some time.

I love how it took four attempts for Sarah Smith to spit out an apology this morning, you can tell that hurt :lol:

The Unionist community are a constant seething mess these days, imagine the rage next year when the SNP win a majority at Holyrood and independence is finally voted through 

Me oh my 

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

All on twitter though.

She made the "error" on TV, she should be "clarifying" on TV

That's the standard of our broadcast and print media. Shout disparaging and inaccurate headlines on air and front pages for people, who believe what they see from state broadcasters and tabloids, to absorb and repeat, apologise online to the social media generation who largely already know the score. It's disgraceful.

Edited by GiGi

2 hours ago, GiGi said:

That's the standard of our broadcast and print media. Shout disparaging and inaccurate headlines on air and front pages for people, who believe what they see from state broadcasters and tabloids, to absorb and repeat, apologise online to the social media generation who largely already know the score. It's disgraceful.

My yer da take is that corrections and clarifications should be published in the same time slot or segment that the original was broadcast.

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

All on twitter though.

She made the "error" on TV, she should be "clarifying" on TV

The BBC haven't even bothered to mention it on their website amongst all the other endless apologies they're forced into making.

35 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

My yer da take is that corrections and clarifications should be published in the same time slot or segment that the original was broadcast.

I don't see why this is a "yer da" take. If you make a ridiculous statement on the 10pm or 6pm news, you should be clarifying it to the same audience.

It is, though, just an extension of the tabloids burying their corrections at the bottom of page 9.

She isn't backing down from ascribing political motives to Sturgeon's public health decisions on Covid19, it wasn't about what word she used to describe it. Even the Tories have baulked at accusing her of that.

Edited by welshbairn

32 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I don't see why this is a "yer da" take. If you make a ridiculous statement on the 10pm or 6pm news, you should be clarifying it to the same audience.

It is, though, just an extension of the tabloids burying their corrections at the bottom of page 9.

I guess it's cause I've heard it voiced a few times and I've never bothered to give it any further thought than "yes, this is good, implement it immediately." I don't see a downside though, f**k the press.