BBC bias

14 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Its an open letter. Obtaining not really an issue 😄

It was the BBC that said "obtained", not me. That's why I used quotation marks. They also used terms like they "had sight of" the letter. I wonder whether they were trying to imply that the SNP/Scottish Government were trying to hush it up?

Does the open letter make Dr Hanif's links to Scottish Labour clear? 

Edited by lichtgilphead

It was the BBC that said "obtained", not me. That's why I used quotation marks. They also used terms like they "had sight of" the letter. I wonder whether they were trying to imply that the SNP/Scottish Government were trying to hush it up? Does the open letter make Dr Hanif's links to Scottish Labour clear? 

C***s were still running with this "story" - have they listed all those who signed the letter? 

Would be interesting to check out who else on it has political links. My bet is quite a few.

I have no issue with Labour wanting to raise it as an issue - I do have a problem of them using supposedly independent surrogates to do their dirty work.

C***s were still running with this "story" - have they listed all those who signed the letter?  

Would be interesting to check out who else on it has political links. My bet is quite a few.

I have no issue with Labour wanting to raise it as an issue - I do have a problem of them using supposedly independent surrogates to do their dirty work.

Labour have zero credibility here so presumably they feel that an "independent" source may have more legs. No surprise they're happy to be thoroughly dishonest in pursuit of political power, really.

I'm ever so grateful that this morning BBC Radio Scotland has informed us that Kate Forbes "defended" her per business covid grant.

Many will think that the tone is discordant in a fashion that a partisan newspaper might employ but since "The Seven" repeated the line this evening, I rather think that the BBC are proved once again to be entirely impartial.

Look at what's hidden away on page 3 of the BBC "Coronavirus in Scotland" page
Link
Know your place, Scotland!
334409208_Screenshot2020-04-13at16_46.43-Edited.png.8281a19e11e935a8d78dd343a1e70bd3.png

Uh huh. And it was posted in the other thread when it was the lead story. That page updates throughout the day. Not sure there’s any bias there.

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

Uh huh. And it was posted in the other thread when it was the lead story. That page updates throughout the day. Not sure there’s any bias there.

So, not worthy of a news story in itself then?

Do you consider "Coronavirus: Cycling numbers in Scotland jump during lockdown" to be a more important story than companies prioritising one part of the United Kingdom's protective equipment needs over another? 

35 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

As predicted - rise in deaths of only 9 is not the headline but the aggregate figure.

You can guarantee tomorrow, where there will be a bigger rise due a delay in weekend registrations, that the headline will be "Scotland deaths surge".

It's utterly fucking blatant.

Are you seriously suggesting that the BBC is using this as some sort of point scoring exercise?  You'll be fine if Covid is repelled by tin foil.

ETA: Having just read one of your posts on another thread where you have posted a tin-foil hat image is rather amusing and ironic.

Edited by strichener

Are you seriously suggesting that the BBC is using this as some sort of point scoring exercise?  You'll be fine if Covid is repelled by tin foil.

ETA: Having just read one of your posts on another thread where you have posted a tin-foil hat image is rather amusing and ironic.

Given that they've had Labour and Tory activists on but not stating their political links I am somewhat suspicious.

We had a similar thing last week - little reporting of the days with low death figures but the Wednesday figure was called a "surge in deaths" - no explanation that there is a delay in registrations that reduces the figures from the weekend and overstated deaths midweek.

It's bad journalism - almost tabloid level in its analysis.

Given that they've had Labour and Tory activists on but not stating their political links I am somewhat suspicious. 
We had a similar thing last week - little reporting of the days with low death figures but the Wednesday figure was called a "surge in deaths" - no explanation that there is a delay in registrations that reduces the figures from the weekend and overstated deaths midweek.

It's bad journalism - almost tabloid level in its analysis.

I think you are right. It’s frustratingly bad journalistic practice, but it’s not bias.

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I think you are right. It’s frustratingly bad journalistic practice, but it’s not bias.

Or perhaps

C. both of the above

Why grown ups are determined to give them a free pass is baffling

Is Savage Henry the most credulous poster on Pie and Bovril? I almost admire anyone who still retains this much faith in any of these institutions that have spent the last decade at least displaying their open contempt for everyone.

At least 90% of the posts on this thread accusing the BBC of bias have been easily shown to be unfounded, either because they're not true or they've covered the story in the same way as everyone else, but only they are mentioned. That's not to say they aren't biased, every  media organisation is, I don't know of any that makes more effort to take a neutral line though, and gets so slagged off by all sides for doing so. The lead up to the independence referendum is a different matter, part ignorance and part panicked hostility.

Edited by welshbairn

Not so much bias as just blatant 'who gives a f**k about Jockoland', at the time of writing there is a story on the front page of the BBC website where the headline is 'Dundee vote in favour of SPFL proposals' and the accompanying thumbnail is of... Shankland celebrating with his Utd teammates.

On 14/04/2020 at 16:45, welshbairn said:

At least 90% of the posts on this thread accusing the BBC of bias have been easily shown to be unfounded, either because they're not true or they've covered the story in the same way as everyone else, but only they are mentioned. That's not to say they aren't biased, every  media organisation is, I don't know of any that makes more effort to take a neutral line though, and gets so slagged off by all sides for doing so. The lead up to the independence referendum is a different matter, part ignorance and part panicked hostility.

Right then. That'll be why they manufactured a smear using Anas Sarwars brother in law five  days ago then a Tory donor and ex candidate the next day. Bias doesn't get any more blatant or extreme than the anti Scottish independence bias at the BBC, which they are actually duty bound to oppose it you read their charter. You can lead a horse to water...