BBC bias

In not sure i get the problem here. 

Did kurnssberg just retweet this 'on this day' in history post?

Yes. Put a wee love heart emoji next to it too.

Nancy Astor probably isn’t someone who you really want to be publicly showing any admiration for. While being the first woman to speak in Parliament is a major milestone, the whole despising Catholic’s, ethnic minorities and communists thing, while also thinking that Hitler was a good answer to the global “Jew problem” marks her as an absolutely odious individual.

Edit: I’d forgotten the Labour antisemitism stuff as well.

While Nancy Astor was definitely the first female MP to make a speech in the Commons, she was also one of the most anti-semitic and pro-Hitler MPs in history.
After a period of Kuenssberg and her pals laying into Corbyn and Labour over anti-semitism, she now hails Astor with no hint of irony.

So the rachel reeves link is an issue, I'll give you that. I didn't know the hullabaloo about the statue.

Rachel Reeves led the charge against antisemitism in Labour. Here she is celebrating Nancy Astor, who was a rabid antisemite and anti Catholic and she wasn't the first female MP, it's just inconvenient that the first was an abstentionist shinner. This was all covered at length when Theresa May unveiled a statue to her last year, which we all remember but for reasons Important People Who Are Paid To Know Things don't.

Yes. Put a wee love heart emoji next to it too.

Nancy Astor probably isn’t someone who you really want to be publicly showing any admiration for. While being the first woman to speak in Parliament is a major milestone, the whole despising Catholic’s, ethnic minorities and communists thing, while also thinking that Hitler was a good answer to the global “Jew problem” marks her as an absolutely odious individual.

But is she really showing love and respect for astor?

It's a significant moment in the history of Parliament, no matter how much of a c**t was involved. And remember, even the good guys from that era are 'stained' if you dig deep enough (see gandhi).

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

So the rachel reeves link is an issue, I'll give you that. I didn't know the hullabaloo about the statue.

But is she really showing love and respect for astor?

It's a significant moment in the history of Parliament, no matter how much of a c**t was involved. And remember, even the good guys from that era are 'stained' if you dig deep enough (see gandhi).

You don’t really have to do any digging for her though. Being an anti-Semite and supporting Hitler is pretty much the main thing she’s known for now.

You don’t really have to do any digging for her though. Being an anti-Semite and supporting Hitler is pretty much the main thing she’s known for now.
True.

But they're still involved in important historical events.

And the tories deserve a very small amount of credit for opening the door to the first female pm. Thatcher was a woman - hating c**t but she was the first female pm and that's something (it's not very much but it's something).

Roald dahl was a c**t. But he wrote incredible books for children so we can't get too hung up on stuff like this.

I disagree. The reason statues like this get built is the superficial thinking of the deans who commission them. It's only people like Kuenssberg that end up in these places after a lifetime in the establishment too, which is why it keeps happening.

There was a similar hue and cry about Cecil Rhodes statue and a similarly frosty response from those in charge.

I'm not saying complicated people shouldn't be commemorated but for example if we were discussing this as Germans and Astor had been German, her name would never be uttered, much less a statue be raised.
I'm not advocating a statue. I just thought acknowledging the 'important day in history' is a bit of a non-story.

I'm not on twitter but does kuenssberg ever defend against these kinds of criticisms? It came be easy to engage with every fucker that has a pop on social media but I'd be interested to hear if she engaged on this issue.

It’s really easy to put a disclaimer acknowledging someone’s extreme anti-semitic views instead of just tweeting vague ‘girl power’ platitudes for the massive fan of Adolf Hitler.

Yeah i agree.

"Some highly questionable attitudes to political events at the time but it is important to acknowledge Nancy Astor, the first female mp in parliament, who took up her seat 100 years ago today.

#anyonwknowwheretheladiestoiletis"

• 3 weeks later...

Johnson statement/press conference on Coronavirus.

National state broadcaster ‘journalist’ Laura (c**t) Kunnesberg asks innocuous question.  Right wing own Sky News journalist Beth Rigby asks tough, pointed question.*

* Johnson ignores of course.

• 3 weeks later...

Just watching the First Ministers/ Health Secretary/ C.M.O's statement. Cut to studio during the journalist's questions.
Does this happen when the UK Govt's on stage?
Suppose it is important that ready steady cook is on schedule.

Just watching the First Ministers/ Health Secretary/ C.M.O's statement. Cut to studio during the journalist's questions.
Does this happen when the UK Govt's on stage?
Suppose it is important that ready steady cook is on schedule.

Happens every night. Especially as they are just going over the same talking points, and the questions near the end are from the likes of the Daily Record and talksport.

On 07/03/2020 at 07:17, MixuFixit said:

Not sure why that's on this thread, but the cost in money and environment of extending the route on land to the Scottish motorway and rail structure makes it a daft idea anyway.

I see that the 2nd item on the BBC Scotland lunchtime news today featuted a letter signed by 100 medical professionals attacking the Scottish Government. It featured a statement by a Dr. Shahzad Hanif, who appeared to be  speaking from his home.

I understand that the same Doctor was live on Radio Scotland this morning. Apparently, he 'coordinated' the letter.

Strangely, the BBC did not mention Dr Hanif's previous history as a Scottish Labour activist - here he is with Kezia Dugdale & Richard Simpson in 2015

Kezia Dugdale joins public services spokesman Dr Richard Simpson on a visit to a GP surgery, Shields Health Centre, Regency Medical Practice to launch the "fit for the future" consultation. L - r GP Dr Shahzad Hanif, Kezia Dugdale and Dr Richard

Even more strangely, the BBC seemed unaware that Dr Hanif is Anas Sarwar MSP's  brother-in-law.

Linky

I wonder just how the BBC "obtained" this letter?

Dreadfully inaccurate Scottish headline on the BBC News - "A huge increase in deaths" - because they include deaths from previous days you fucking morons
I'm fairly confident the unionist media won't want to compare figures too closely once this is all over.

Fascinating how the BBC is always ready to doubt the Chinese Government (eg Can China be trusted?), but closer to home they don't boldly repeat the Government's message that the PM had 'minor symptoms' and was 'continuing to lead the government' a day before he's rushed to intensive care.  And then it's as benign as could be: 'he's in a stable condition and not receiving oxygen'. No questions about why his condition was hidden from people.

Meanwhile good news outlets, eg Washington Times point out that government officials 'evaded questions about his condition … and what treatment he was receiving'

Edited by Mr Heliums

51 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

I see that the 2nd item on the BBC Scotland lunchtime news today featuted a letter signed by 100 medical professionals attacking the Scottish Government. It featured a statement by a Dr. Shahzad Hanif, who appeared to be  speaking from his home.

I understand that the same Doctor was live on Radio Scotland this morning. Apparently, he 'coordinated' the letter.

Strangely, the BBC did not mention Dr Hanif's previous history as a Scottish Labour activist - here he is with Kezia Dugdale & Richard Simpson in 2015

Even more strangely, the BBC seemed unaware that Dr Hanif is Anas Sarwar MSP's  brother-in-law.

Linky

I wonder just how the BBC "obtained" this letter?

Guaranteed they'll still be running with this "scoop" on the 6.30pm news.

When it comes to discrediting the SNP, the BBC has no shame whatsoever.