BBC bias

25 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I live in an SNP/ Labour marginal. However, as much as I would like to get rid of the current SNP MP I can not bring myself to play any part in allowing Corbyn get near number 10.

I will spoil my paper now.

What a waste.

I live in the constiiuency where , on a visit to a school, the local MP told a schoolkid... "Why don't you f**k off back to Scotland.."  ( James Heappey, Conservative ).

is that actually what you want from an MP ?

From where I'm sitting, comparing Westminster to Holyrood..., generally, parliamentary businesss in Scotland seems to be conducted by adults.

Westminster ?

If I lived in Scotland, I'd vote SNP.   If Corbyn lived in Scotland I could see him having serious , principled, political discussion.  Can you actually , remotely,

imagine the same of Johnson ?

But, just vote. 

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Hearthammer's "de Pfeffelllll" patter is atrocious.

Boris has more of the "man of the people" touch I suppose, but he called himself Al back in the day when it didn't really matter.

A producer on the Victoria Live programme contacted me last last week to ask if I'd like to be in the audience of today's show in North Berwick.

When I mentioned that I was once an SNP parliamentary candidate, there was a long nervous pause, a break to check with colleagues and then another phonecall to tell me the offer was now rescinded.

I was told that the show only wanted"ordinary voters" for the audience panel. I explained that is exactly what I am, but it seems that having once stood for office for the SNP I apparently can no longer make such a claim!

I was interested to see then, when the show aired earlier today, that this production rule does not seem to apply to former UKIP parliamentary candidates:

Image may contain: 2 people, beard and text
Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people standing and suit

Edited by dirty dingus

11 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

A producer on the Victoria Live programme contacted me last last week to ask if I'd like to be in the audience of today's show in North Berwick.

When I mentioned that I was once an SNP parliamentary candidate, there was a long nervous pause, a break to check with colleagues and then another phonecall to tell me the offer was now rescinded.

I was told that the show only wanted"ordinary voters" for the audience panel. I explained that is exactly what I am, but it seems that having once stood for office for the SNP I apparently can no longer make such a claim!

I was interested to see then, when the show aired earlier today, that this production rule does not seem to apply to former UKIP parliamentary candidates:

Image may contain: 2 people, beard and text
Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people standing and suit

"Hotel Worker"

I bet if he has a supervisory role he'd be an absolute c**t to the eastern Europeans making the beds.

1 hour ago, Utter Roaster said:

Random question: where do people get their online news from? I sometimes buy the i paper on a Saturday but for a quick 'what's happening in the world?' what are the alternatives to the Beeb? 

You could do worse than buying the Economist for an idea of what's going on around the world. Like the FT it depends on its reputation for accuracy to inform businessmen and decision makers, outright propaganda would be useless to them. Like any single source it needs to be taken as an indication of what's going on, not fact, and it's got its own world view which colours its subjectivity. It covers a lot of areas of the world that rarely get a mention otherwise. The problem I have with the FT is it's expensive for the 2 or 3 pages I'm interested in, most of it is financial and business stuff that is either boring or I'm too thick to follow.

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, Utter Roaster said:

I used to pick up odd issues of The Economist. Never got a sub cos there's no way I'd get through all of it before the next one arrived.. 

Aye me too, just pick one up for a long train journey or when I'm on holiday.

The Economist is far worse than the FT. Lenin’s criticism of it as “a journal that speaks for British millionaires” is still bang-on.

In terms of podcasts you could probably do worse than Talking Politics for a left-liberal analysis of the latest talking points in British politics. I’d probably call it the weekly bulletin of the London Review of Books.

10 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

The Economist is far worse than the FT. Lenin’s criticism of it as “a journal that speaks for British millionaires” is still bang-on.

It gives you a quick fix on what's going on just about anywhere on the planet. To find out what's actually happening you need to check multiple other sources, like any publication.

Edited by welshbairn

Yeah The Economist's political coverage isn't that objective. I understand that, by its nature, it is very centrist (by today's standards), but it's not exactly subtle. The "Free Exchange" column is really good though.

I have a subscription to it (although I'll be ditching it when my current one expires) but that's mostly just so I can look really clever whilst sitting with it in public.

2 hours ago, Utter Roaster said:

Random question: where do people get their online news from? I sometimes buy the i paper on a Saturday but for a quick 'what's happening in the world?' what are the alternatives to the Beeb? 

I follow channel 4 news, sky news breaking, reurters. al jazerra,newsweek and bangkok post for news online. I'll buy the odd The I newspaper if I'm in for a pint as I like there world news section and there non over the top reporting. Will also have to buy one of the rags in the coming weeks for the bumper super duper 64 page christmas tv pull out.

Edited by dirty dingus

It gives you a quick fix on what's going on just about anywhere on the planet. To find out what's actually happening you need to check multiple other sources, like any publication.

A dodgy fix of what’s going on. They were blowing smoke up Bolsonaro’s arse despite everyone and his dog knowing he was a literal danger to the planet.