BBC bias

4 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

BBC showing their west coast bias. Scandalous.

Why is Scotland's deposit return scheme under fire? - BBC News

Many older Scots will recall being able to get money back on their "ginger" (fizzy drink) bottles when they were children - and it works in a similar way.

Mention of "Ginger" aka fizzy drink bottles always reminds me of a story of the Rangers team having a meal in a Glasgow hotel, to celebrate winning the Scottish Cup in 2000.

The boys had been served with their melon starters, and a waiter enquired of Barry Ferguson, if they would like some ginger to go with it. "No", says Bazza, "I think the boss is going to get us some wine"...!!

14 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Mention of "Ginger" aka fizzy drink bottles always reminds me of a story of the Rangers team having a meal in a Glasgow hotel, to celebrate winning the Scottish Cup in 2000.

The boys had been served with their melon starters, and a waiter enquired of Barry Ferguson, if they would like some ginger to go with it. "No", says Bazza, "I think the boss is going to get us some wine"...!!

heard this a few times and always have a few questions re it. Was melon a common starter 20 years ago? and is ginger naturally paired with it - I never see ginger with melon when fruit is offered at breakfast for example....

If someone asked me what does ginger go with, the only thing I would think of is sushi. 

18 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

The thickest footballer I've encountered is Paul Tosh. He rocked up to Letham Grange years ago to play golf with his mate and handed over a tenner for a guest ticket which was £7.50. I had to explain to him that, yes, he did have enough change for a £1 bottle of coke. Jesus. 

3 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

If someone asked me what does ginger go with, the only thing I would think of is sushi. 

You haven't lived.  Sliced ginger and grated ginger is great in lots of cooking including stews and stir fry.

You need to make sure it is cooked thoroughly as it can be very harsh raw.

I even add it to Chili con carne but I suspect a lot of people would not.

4 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

heard this a few times and always have a few questions re it. Was melon a common starter 20 years ago? and is ginger naturally paired with it - I never see ginger with melon when fruit is offered at breakfast for example....

Ginger goes very well with dark chocolate in bags marked 'Holland & Barrett', and it's advertised as a 'Healthy Snack' - good enough for me.

5 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

Fred

19 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

I have had ginger with melon as a starter at dinners. Maybe even 20 years ago 

Ginger can also be used to win horse races if you don't get caught doing it

The "would you like ginger?" story has been going around since long before 2000. I first heard it in the late 80's and I doubt it was new then.

But yes, even in our household where salt and pepper were considered exotic spices, we were known to have powdered ginger on a slice of melon as a starter. Or "first course" as we sophisticates called it.  

Watched a bit of the LK show this morning, the three guests were given 30secs to summarize the week Stephen Flynn, a Tory MP & a Murican on to talk about the Ukraine war.

After they had their wee say LK summarised by basically repeating the Tory MP.

• 2 weeks later...

Possibly one for the Tory threads, although Labour probably plans to do the exact same thing, but over the last few days the BBC have been airing a report about Irelands two tier healthcare system, likely as an attempt to normalise something like this for people in the UK. Obviously this is a terrible thing but I didn’t see many people take much notice of this. 

8 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

Possibly one for the Tory threads, although Labour probably plans to do the exact same thing, but over the last few days the BBC have been airing a report about Irelands two tier healthcare system, likely as an attempt to normalise something like this for people in the UK. Obviously this is a terrible thing but I didn’t see many people take much notice of this. 

Why is it obviously a terrible thing?

Big question is. Does it produce better outcomes?

Happy to look at any other systems which work.

13 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

From the bits I've seen it's been about how shitty it is unless you're wealthy enough to go private.

35 minutes ago, Wingman said:

Why is it obviously a terrible thing?

Big question is. Does it produce better outcomes?

Happy to look at any other systems which work.

Two tier system doesn’t work. Anyway, anyone that wants to pay to go private in the UK already can. 

29 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

From the bits I've seen it's been about how shitty it is unless you're wealthy enough to go private.

There has been politicians from every party talking about “reforming” the NHS. This is almost certainly a byword for more private sector involvement in the NHS, and I don’t think there would be anything on the BBC about healthcare in Ireland were it not for something being in the works with regard to changing the NHS. 

1 minute ago, MazzyStar said:

Two tier system doesn’t work. Anyway, anyone that wants to pay to go private in the UK already can. 

There has been politicians from every party talking about “reforming” the NHS. This is almost certainly a byword for more private sector involvement in the NHS, and I don’t think there would be anything on the BBC about healthcare in Ireland were it not for something being in the works with regard to changing the NHS. 

There already is a two tier system in the UK.

You need to wake up to reality.

40% of all hip replacement operations are carried out in the private sector as the NHS are unable to do them.

A large number of those patients don’t have private healthcare and are forced to pay to get relief.

Even the FS, Kate Forbes says that the SNP record on healthcare is poor.

What more proof do you need that it is not working

7 minutes ago, Wingman said:

There already is a two tier system in the UK.

You need to wake up to reality.

40% of all hip replacement operations are carried out in the private sector as the NHS are unable to do them.

A large number of those patients don’t have private healthcare and are forced to pay to get relief.

Even the FS, Kate Forbes says that the SNP record on healthcare is poor.

What more proof do you need that it is not working

Well, no. The two tier system in Ireland means that private patients are often treated in public hospitals. Obviously this doesn’t happen in the UK. Having a few private hospitals doesn’t mean that there is a two tier system in the UK.  

It’s no surprise that Kate Forbes says that about the SNP record on healthcare since she is probably in favour of much more privatisation of the NHS. There are problems in the NHS but privatisation will make them worse rather than better.